Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Mormons and other Christians and Jehovah's Witnesses and other Christians?

It's a question that has always been on my mind, but I've never taken the time to ask. I can't really pull anything up online because "everyone's right" So, if anyone knows, without flaming either of the groups, please fill me in.

·
Country Boy
1,094 Posts
Jehovah's Witnesses are like athlete's foot, they always seem to come back no matter what you do to get rid of them. They have one of their churches or whatever you call them a few miles from me and they stop by at least twice a month after I've told them time and time again not to bother me, this spring I even invited the 2 women that stopped by to join me in a blood sacrifice to the goddess Isis I was going to perform that afternoon. I was butchering chickens anyway but thought it might scare them off, no luck though they keep coming back.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay then. So Jehovah's witnesses are like athlete's foot. Gotcha. Then I guess Mormons would be like fever blisters on chapped lips?

Seriously, have you ever taken the time to listen to these ladies rather than try to scare them off?

·
On the lake
108 Posts
The LDS (Mormon) Church has a good site found at mormon.org. They have a 'basic beliefs' tab at the top of the page you can follow to find out about what they believe.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Okay then. So Jehovah's witnesses are like athlete's foot. Gotcha. Then I guess Mormons would be like fever blisters on chapped lips?

Seriously, have you ever taken the time to listen to these ladies rather than try to scare them off?
From What I recall in my dealings with Jehovah's witness they had a few rules that kept them from mainstream society like not wearing uniforms, no dancing and I think singing was off limits too. As far as their religious POV I don't know other than they are Christian.

They used to come knocking on our door a lot (usually when the only person home was my grandmother who had a bad leg from polio). She did not like answering the door to them and told them dozens of times we were Lutheran. Finally she told them we were Jewish (convincing becuase of her thick German accent) and they never came back.

I worked for a Mormon Captain in the Air Force. They are Christian but wrote a third Testament to the bible called "The Book of Mormon" It relates stories of how Brigham Young learned from American Indians that Christ had come to them and spread the Gospel (I don't remember the tribe).

Mormons beleive that if they live the way God Wants tehm to they wil become "Christs" for God in other worlds (or Planets) when they die and go to heaven.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The LDS (Mormon) Church has a good site found at mormon.org. They have a 'basic beliefs' tab at the top of the page you can follow to find out about what they believe.
So, a Mormon is the same as a Christian, with the only difference being that they think Joseph Smith is another prophet from God? What's wrong with that? I mean, other Christian beliefs have prophets, such as the Pope, or a preacher.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Jehovah's Witnesses are like athlete's foot, they always seem to come back no matter what you do to get rid of them. They have one of their churches or whatever you call them a few miles from me and they stop by at least twice a month after I've told them time and time again not to bother me, this spring I even invited the 2 women that stopped by to join me in a blood sacrifice to the goddess Isis I was going to perform that afternoon. I was butchering chickens anyway but thought it might scare them off, no luck though they keep coming back.
1st post a flame. why bother?

·
Sum Liber
2,193 Posts
There's nothing any more wrong with it than any other specific belief of a religion.

It's just different.

They get a bad rap because they knock on doors. Generally, Mormons are pretty nice folks.

I went through the whole home-study course where they come by every couple of weeks and talk to you.
They were honest. If they didn't know the answer to a question, they'd say so instead of dodging it or making up some lame BS.

They must have checked me off of their list, because after listening to everything they had to say, they never came back.

·
Registered
33,071 Posts
Hubb,

good question! Let me say this, I am so busy seeking God's will in my own life I don't have time to look around and wonder what this group or that group is doing or believing. I will stand before the Lord one day with my life and the things I have done and have believed.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hubb,

good question! Let me say this, I am so busy seeking God's will in my own life I don't have time to look around and wonder what this group or that group is doing or believing. I will stand before the Lord one day with my life and the things I have done and have believed.
Even though this didn't answer my question at all, it made the most sense.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
I have studied with both. mormon.org is a good site for answering questions. It even has a missionary you can chat with and ask questions - online.
Some aspects of their doctrine are...well downright ludicrous to some. But, I found a large amount of truths to live by through my studies with them. It is where God wants me to be, so even though I don't understand it - I have faith I am where I am supposed to be for now.

As far as Jehovah's Witnesses - I don't disrespect them by any means. Some good people for sure. For me personally, their doctrine focused more on martyrdom & gloom & doom than God's love.

Your mileage may vary.

There are a lot of differences between the two. Also, JW's think Mormons are demon inspired and Mormons think JW's are snobby.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
I guess we all have issues with those who do not believe in the same religion as we do. I have never had any problems with either religion and have found them as a whole to be good honest people about their beliefs. Can't really comment any further.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But what makes either of the two so bad? They pretty much believe in the same thing ordinary Christians do, right? They just do things a little bit differently.

For the record, I'm not saying that I am going for either of the two. I am quite content in worshiping in my own way, which is a lot of the same way OhioMan stated.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
Well with Mormons the idea that a third testament read out of a hat from Gold plates from an angel is laughable. Joseph Smith did have witnesses who even after leaving the church still claimed even on their death bed that they saw the gold plates and angel. Another thing that makes Mormons so hated is the papyrus scroll in The book of Moses. Depending on who you ask, it was proven to be a fraud.

Also, there is the Garden of Eden in Missouri bit.

LDS doctrine is quite different than any of the other religions. Its very easy to pull up a million and one things to fuel the hate if one is so inclined.

With Jehovah Witnesses they also reject that God is Jesus. They think Jesus was God's most favored angel. They refuse blood transfusions, celebration of holidays, dating before 16, and really get into the whole idea of martyrdom.
They also believe no one goes to Heaven, as the 144,000 that are 'allowed' in Heaven is almost fulfilled or has been fulfilled.
They also believe any one who celebrates holidays are Pagan and thus God can't stand them.
No voting, saluting the flag or anything nationalistic like that.

Between the things I mentioned - and with a heart full of hate - people can find plenty to hate about the two religions.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well with Mormons the idea that a third testament read out of a hat from Gold plates from an angel is laughable. Joseph Smith did have witnesses who even after leaving the church still claimed even on their death bed that they saw the gold plates and angel. Another thing that makes Mormons so hated is the papyrus scroll in The book of Moses. Depending on who you ask, it was proven to be a fraud.
So, these guys added to the Bible, which is a big no-no.

With Jehovah Witnesses they also reject that God is Jesus. They think Jesus was God's most favored angel. They refuse blood transfusions, celebration of holidays, dating before 16, and really get into the whole idea of martyrdom.
They also believe no one goes to Heaven, as the 144,000 that are 'allowed' in Heaven is almost fulfilled or has been fulfilled.
They also believe any one who celebrates holidays are Pagan and thus God can't stand them.
No voting, saluting the flag or anything nationalistic like that.
And these guys are quite boring and strange, other than going door-to-door. If they believe that the slots in Heaven have already been filled, then why do they continue worship?

1 - 20 of 141 Posts