Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
154 Posts
Number one difference in my opinion is durability. The more expensive red dots (Aimpoint, Eotech) have been proven in combat conditions. Some of the really cheap knockoffs are poorly constructed, with the LED held in with tape. Most are not sealed to eliminate moisture infiltration, and the glass is of a poor optic quality.

I have a Eotech 2.0 and a Primary Arms knockoff. There is a difference in quality between the two, but the Primary Arms red dot is one of the better copies. It is an Aimpoint M4 clone and has been very reliable. Check out Primary Arms here:

http://www.primaryarms.com/main.sc

·
Registered
316 Posts
From experience and research:

- Cheap red dots have a darker colored filter to have the red dot be more visible. Expensive red dots have more expensive coatings that are clearer.

- Cheap red dots can have lower battery life expectancy. Aimpoint is the king of longevity at this point AFAIK

- Cheap red dots have plastic where they should have metal. Heavy recoiling rifles can shake them apart and they won't hold up to being banged around as much.

- Cheap red dots don't have parallax correcting glass. EoTechs and Aimpoints POI/POA don't change with location of reticule in the glass.

ETA: - Cheap red dots go on your airsoft/paintball guns, not a defensive/survival rifle you may have to depend upon for your life.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What's the difference between a Porsche and a Honda?

:rolleyes:

You always get what you paid for.

Buy cheap-a*s-s**t and you buy twice.
Nooooooot quite. Honda's run quite reliably. I know, I drove one for 5 years (CRV) and never had a problem until fan belts wore out. I have heard of many Euro supercars that don't seem to run like the clocks the countries that manufacture them are known for.

But you do get what you pay for. S.P.O.T. scopes are 120-150 and hold up well enough the arfcommers use them. Then again, they break just about anything so they need a cheap source of aimpoint lookalikes to keep the tacticool factor up on their rifles.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Never understood the red dots. I get by just fine without them. In fact its just more to go wrong. When I left the service the trend was put accessories on everything and just as many people didnt like all the junk then liked it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the reason I ask. I have in the past owned a couple of NC Star red dot scopes that have held up really well. One was on a Saiga 12 that I put at least 800 rounds through. Most of which were heavy buckshot loads. The scope held up fine.

I also had one on an AR that I picked up in a trade and I had one small issue and that was with the battery tabs. They kept getting flattened out under heavy recoil. I made a simple fix and never had another problem with it.

Now I have a set of BUIS made by UTG and they are as good as any out there for way less money. That is why I am asking about red dots. I wanted to know what the issues and differences are so that I can check things out and evaluate some of the knock offs.
I have to believe that there are some more reasonably priced options out there.

BTW: Thanks, Low and Slow. I will check those out.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I will give you the perfect example.

I got a Vortex Red Dot at a match today. It looks like an Aimpoint Comp M2. I was putting it together to give to a friend just a few minutes ago. The mounts are cheap alloy and the 6 torque screws on the ring mount were very touchy in tightening them down to keep them from stripping. It uses a camera battery that is somewhat less common than AA's or a CR123. The dot is okay but slightly fuzzy. The glass is darker than it could be and the buttons are cheap, rubberized and and not very positive feeling. The body and knobs obstruct your vision somewhat. Caps are super tight. They run about $175.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/red_dot_scopes

Hands down, the best Red Dot sight out there is a Trijicon Adjustable LED RMR Model RM6. Tough, light, durable, beautiful clarity and vision. The perfect optic for a carbine or Scout Rifle. They cost $625 plus a mount but it is one awesome sight.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=Adjustable LED

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the gun show and one of the guys I know there had two knock offs for me to look at (hense the reason I asked about this last night) One was a 4x trijicon scope without the fiber optics. Nice scope for $150 but a tad bit heavy for my taste. It was clear as a bell and sturdy as hell. The other was an ACOG knock off for $150. Little dark and fuzzy dot although very bright.

I might have considered the first one if it was not so fricken heavy. I will say it was built hell for stout. I might still end up getting it, but want him to run one for a while.

BTW: I seen a couple used ACOG's for $450 on one table.

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Nooooooot quite. Honda's run quite reliably. I know, I drove one for 5 years (CRV) and never had a problem until fan belts wore out. I have heard of many Euro supercars that don't seem to run like the clocks the countries that manufacture them are known for.

But you do get what you pay for. S.P.O.T. scopes are 120-150 and hold up well enough the arfcommers use them. Then again, they break just about anything so they need a cheap source of aimpoint lookalikes to keep the tacticool factor up on their rifles.
You don't want to start comparing a Honda with a Porsche, or?

Survivalguy72 said:
Q-u-a-l-i-t-y
Here we go.

You are not only paying for the product itself, you are also paying for the research and testing that have been done to be able to offer you a reliable product.

If you want something reliable for "just in case", then choose something which does not make you look like an idiot with Airsoft parts on your firearm when it counts.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Buy a scope that doesn't take batteries. My eotech I bought 10 years ago started draining batteries. Called the company. He said the circuit board is bad. They don't make that model anymore. I will have to buy a new one. I told him, I definitely will not. Fixed reticules and steel guns! Buy once, buy it for life.

·
Mall ninja in training
461 Posts
I think it's a balance. Because not everyone can go and drop a grand on a scope/red dot. But you can get some very good stuff for a lot less, it's just hard to know beforehand if it will last.

I've had good luck with NcStar. Don't buy Tasco, EVER. I know NcStar is a chinese POS, but their optics are clear and they haven't broken on me yet.

BTW, I put a nice ncstar scope on my 22 rifle, which obviously will get very little recoil, and it works awesome. I have one on my AR-15, I've shot it a few times, can't say for the long term yet, but it 's their "tactical" scope.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After looking at several different models and talking with several people at the show who sold different scopes from high end to cheap crap and everything in between; I decided to buy 4x Nikon and call it good.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I use a C-More tactical on my carbine, it's tough and proven itself to me in both competitive shooting and combat.

Doesn't eat batteries and has the A-2 rear sight built into the cut down carry handle mount.

You get what you pay for, quality optics and gear only hurts your wallet once.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Speaking of red dots... I am thinking of getting this for my Mossberg 500. I know, it's a cheap knock-off, but I am on a budget. Any opinions?

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Speaking of red dots... I am thinking of getting this for my Mossberg 500. I know, it's a cheap knock-off, but I am on a budget. Any opinions?
I strongly suggest this one instead:

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Bushnell_731303_Trophy_1x25_TRS_25_Red_Dot_Sight_p/BS731303.htm

I have one on my Mossberg Persuader and it works great, has nothing but great reviews as well.

Differences in Red Dots:

1. Durability
2. Battery life (Or is some cases, no need for battery)
3. clarity

My main and only reason for using red dots is SPEED - seems like nothing is faster along with both eyes open. After a while it becomes second nature. IMO

I used an EOTech for a good while and it was excellent. I'm currently debating how to set up a new AR. Torn between a Millet 1-4x scope/red dot or just a good quality red dot. Its the difference between (Longer ranges/Heavy) or (Speed/light weight)

·
Registered
316 Posts
You don't want to start comparing a Honda with a Porsche, or?
In terms of performance, a honda civic will never stand up to a euro supercar regardless of how the engine is tweaked and how much awful looking paint people slather on them. The Porsche, on the other hand, have ben known to require a fair bit of maintenance and babying to keep them running when you work them hard auf den Autobahn.

I used an EOTech for a good while and it was excellent. I'm currently debating how to set up a new AR. Torn between a Millet 1-4x scope/red dot or just a good quality red dot. Its the difference between (Longer ranges/Heavy) or (Speed/light weight)
Red dots aren't as fine for longer range precision, so what is the intent of the rifle. Is it a hunting rifle? A scope might be better.

Is it a fighting rifle? Speed might be better unless you want a DMR role for the rifle.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
The elusive: "both"

The millet 1x4 can be a 1x dot but the field of view seems limited. At 4x I could probably get some nice mid-range quick precision.

The AR is a back-up to my bolt-action Savage 308, so I really want it as light as possible should I have the need to carry 308 on the back and AR in the hands.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts