Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Video of a Sentinel being stabbed in the foot by a bayonet while having his rifle inspected. The Sentinel doesn’t show emotion and even continues his walk bleeding.

That’s dedication, respect, and honor.

·
Registered
18,549 Posts
Being stationed there was hard in a way very different from most of my Army career. For those who don’t know, The Old Guard (TOG) is responsible for more than just the tomb. All soldiers assigned to TOG go through a 3 week indoctrination to learn how it is done. Everyone from cooks and truck drivers to Infantry must graduate before being sent to their specific company. There are special units which are even more difficult that soldiers must compete for to be part of. These include the National color guard, Army Drill team, Casion platoon, and most notably the Tomb Guards. Traditionally the TGs have always come from Infantry folks but when I was there I saw a truck driver (88M) be the first to earn a badge. It’s insane the effort these soldiers go to to represent our nation and fulfill our obligation to our fallen. There are specific units that do only firing details, casket teams, etc and they train CONSTANTLY when not on actual missions. And when they are between training or working they are attending to uniforms or weapons as well as any other additional duties that get created. Retirement ceremonies, Presidential/Political events of state, and a myriad of other things. It’s a very different animal from any line unit deployed or in garrison and they move mountains to make sure there is never a failure.
For any who have not visited ANC (Arlington National Cemetery), I cant suggest it enough. Put it on your bucket list, take the tour. If you go at the right time of year you may be able to catch some other events put on there such as the “Spirit of America”. It’s like a series of theatrical vignettes performed by TOG soldiers and the Army Band, fife and drum corps, caisons, and the presidential salute battery.
Being part of TOG has left a lasting impression on me I will always remember. Different by far from deployments or my Army career as a whole.

NOLI ME TANGERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts