Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've come up with a "reasonable" compromise of coin & weight for a 3 Season Kit:

Kit:
270. Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60 (inc. lid) 3.43 lbs
155. Eureka Backcountry 1 3.88 lbs
..30. USGI Patrol Bag 2.31 lbs
..45. Thermarest Z Lite SOL Pad .88 lbs
$500.

Specs:
10.5 lbs Complete Weight
67L Cargo Capacity
45 lb Load Capacity
30 Degree Rating
6"X15.5" Tent Pack Size

I could lose 1/2 a lb on the sleeping bag, but that'd jack the costup by about $200. and the temp rating would be about the same.
Not worth it in my opinion. Not ULTRA-ultralight, but respectable I think for what it's capabilities are and for the reputation that
Granite Gear has for durability. What do you guys think? Much room for improvement there? If so, at what cost?
[Big plus? All earthtone colors (greens, browns, coyote, etc...)! Not going to look like a bag of Skittles! :D: ]

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10.5lbs is a fantastic base weight. This is not including your knives, cook kit, filter, or anything else though, is it?
Correct. That'll just be the Big 3. :)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Nice set up, and great concept! I did something similar for a little cheaper, but I'm with you - I want light AND durable, and doesn't look like skittles.

- Snugpak Rocket Pak (2013 version) in OD. $70, 4.43#, 40l/70l capacity (EDC as a 40)
- Snugpak Jungle Bag in OD, $75, 1.7#, 35-45 temp rating (sleep in it everynight I'm underway/deployed)
- Grabber Blanket in OD, $20, .75#, used with bag drops temp rating way down (haven't measured) and is WP.

... Instead of tent, will probably go Tarp, under 2# including lines, and stakes.
... Still looking for pads, how do you like the SOL? May hang instead.

All under 10#, and $300

·
Registered
308 Posts
10.5 lbs is super heavy....

I use a setup that is only seven lbs and is bombproof, 10.5 lbs is way to heavy for the big 3

ionosphere snugpack bivy tent- 2 lbs- 175.00 (cheapest, most spacious, most durable tent on the market at this price)
marmot 0 degree bag-1lb 6 oz- 400.00 (the ferrari of sleeping bags)
thermarest pad(forget the name, but its there lightest and warmest one)- 14 oz 160.00
maxpediton pack- 2lbs

·
Banned
5,376 Posts
That looks like a good kit. I started out with a light 58 Liter BOB kit but that went out the window when I made it an INCH and added a second long gun and decided on an Eberlestock to carry it. My total weight was 60 lbs including all my worn clothing, stuff in my pockets, etc. Now I'm going to be over 75 lbs total with maybe 45 lbs on my back (prolly end up at 80 total with 48 on my back).

I think I can still stay under 60 lbs total (28 on my back) in my BOB but it would be for strictly short duration (e.g. out hunting or other outdoor activities and SHTF).

·
Registered
599 Posts

I use a setup that is only seven lbs and is bombproof, 10.5 lbs is way to heavy for the big 3

ionosphere snugpack bivy tent- 2 lbs- 175.00 (cheapest, most spacious, most durable tent on the market at this price)
thermarest pad(forget the name, but its there lightest and warmest one)- 14 oz 160.00
maxpediton pack- 2lbs
Nice setup, but that's going to end up costing almost $1000.

·
Registered
308 Posts
And it is all top of the line, whole life lasting quality gear.... don't go cheap, your life may depend on it...........

Americans blow a 1000 dollars in a million different ways, get a second job, cut wood, mow yards, it is not a big expense at all...

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds about on target.

With the inclusion of your mess, utensils, canteens, bladders, filter, med kit, compass, knives, etc you most likely can have a <20lbs pack at base weight. Just keep being smart about your wants vs. needs and your own physical abilities.
LOL! You made me feel like Anakin here...

For this kit, I'd go with light bits like a my Mora instead of my ESEE-6,
my Guyot Bottle kit, an IFAK instead of my FAK...you know, K.I.S.S.. :)

Nice set up, and great concept! I did something similar for a little cheaper, but I'm with you - I want light AND durable, and doesn't look like skittles.

- Snugpak Rocket Pak (2013 version) in OD. $70, 4.43#, 40l/70l capacity (EDC as a 40)
- Snugpak Jungle Bag in OD, $75, 1.7#, 35-45 temp rating (sleep in it everynight I'm underway/deployed)
- Grabber Blanket in OD, $20, .75#, used with bag drops temp rating way down (haven't measured) and is WP.

... Instead of tent, will probably go Tarp, under 2# including lines, and stakes.
... Still looking for pads, how do you like the SOL? May hang instead.

All under 10#, and $300
I'm diggin' that RocketPak! Reminds me of a Bergen. :thumb:

I think Snugpak offers exceptional value. I seriously considered that Jungle Bag,
but realized I already have my Patrol Bag that's only about 1/2lb more. I'm
definitely a tent guy over tarps. I remember sleeping in a tropical rainforest
region. My goodness, the bugs had me for a Thanksgiving dinner, not to mention
the Gongolones that we were told crawled into peoples ears.
I learned to love netting.

Eat Wheaties!

maxpediton pack- 2lbs
If you brought your kit's specs up to the one that I listed, what would that do to your cost and weight? ;)

I liked that ionosphere for what it offers, but I want to sit up in my tent and have options to keep my pack dry as well if needed.
I could live with the extra pound and half for all the benefits that the BC1 offers. I'd like to be able to do "some" tasks inside my
tent if I needed to if the weather or nightfall prevented that depending on my situation. :) Plus, the BC1 is much cheaper.

Despite the fact that I wouldn't be happy with your 7lb kit because of it's limitations for my uses, I'm glad you like your set-up.
It's not an apples to apples comparison (your bivy to the BC1). Your ion compared to Eureka's Solitaire would be a more accurate
comparison.

No personal judgement here. :thumb:

And it is all top of the line, whole life lasting quality gear.... don't go cheap, your life may depend on it...........

Americans blow a 1000 dollars in a million different ways, get a second job, cut wood, mow yards, it is not a big expense at all...

Then you should ditch what you got and get military surplus gear. ;)*

That looks like a good kit. I started out with a light 58 Liter BOB kit but that went out the window when I made it an INCH and added a second long gun and decided on an Eberlestock to carry it. My total weight was 60 lbs including all my worn clothing, stuff in my pockets, etc. Now I'm going to be over 75 lbs total with maybe 45 lbs on my back (prolly end up at 80 total with 48 on my back).

I think I can still stay under 60 lbs total (28 on my back) in my BOB but it would be for strictly short duration (e.g. out hunting or other outdoor activities and SHTF).
I'm definitely thinking about this lighter set-up for situations where I don't have to worry about being bulletproof or relying on it for my survival for an extended period of time; Hiking, backpacking, camping, etc...For those times that I just want to get out and relax like I used to. If I were going hunting? This kit wouldn't leave the mancave. ;) Damnit SharpDog! Why did you have to say it! Why did you have to say "Eberlestock"! Now, it's back on my mind! Thanks!

I guess the word "compromise" was missed from the OP.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
The tent is a little heavy but then I'm a fan of bivvy sacs myself. (I will probably never find another Rothco $49.95 camo bivvy sac.)

I like inflatable Thermarest pads myself. I roll it up tight as I can then I suck the last bit of air out. Then I form it into a tube which fits into my backpack. It makes the pack much more rigid, something I like in an internal frame pack. Everything goes inside this tube offering more protection to the pad than carrying it outside and huge protection to the pack contents. Of course that means you can't just undo the side zippers to get at something, but oh well.

Want to keep everything inside the pack. Bad enough trying to climb thru brush or under fence wire with a pack on. I don't like having anything stick out wider than the pack itself.

If you really wanted to go ultralight you could go for an inflatable down filled pad.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright. As the edited title shows, I'm starting to hate you Ultralighters. Well, not hate as much as "dislike intensely".
Just when I think I have all my ducks lined up and I'm ready to make a significant purchase of kit to catapult me
from barely equipped to very well equipped, your incessant whining about weight savings and it's benefits have
stirred something in me. Let's call it "reason" for now (even though my stubbornness is wrestling with it).

So, let's say for a second that I'm beginning to find merit in your means and methods, without changing my chosen
pieces for my base kit (
), what are your minimum gear requirements for
say, a 72 hour trek where all you were going to do was to head out, set up a base camp and practice your skills?

As a complete novice, I'm thinking at the very least the following...
  • FAK
  • fire kit
  • mirror
  • whistle
  • poncho
  • bottle kit
  • compass
  • headlamp
  • hygiene kit
  • Esbit or small grill section
  • USGI mess kit or MSR pot

Maybe it's my naiveté, but I don't see "needing" anything other than that. Please school me where I've forgotten something
for said conditions in 3 season use. One more thing, I will carry a 2nd pair of socks, briefs and a baselayer to rotate with use.

Other items I will bring will be task specific tools (hatchet, saw, knife, sharpening gear, a book or two and journal).
I don't include them in the weight above because I want the weight above to be a new standard for me to establish
and the task specific items I bring will fluxuate from task to task (for example, one time I might just be testing my
gear & myself under extremely wet and damp conditions, another under extreme heat, etc...).

I'm strongly leaning towards getting the base kit I've listed in the first post of this thread instead of what I had
planned on going with before. I already have a nice heavy duty pack. I just don't see getting a 2nd one right now.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I've been slowly dropping my pack-weight but still maintain some items that are my preference which would be looked down upon by most ultralighters.

My pack weight hovers right around 30 pounds for 7-days worth of food. Water is always the big weight component, so as long as there are enough water sources, I can keep the weight down.

I do pack a decent fixed blade knife and folding saw which I've just decided are mandatory for any outing. I also pack my G23 in 40S&W in a HPG chest-mounted Kit Bag. My pack is currently a Gregory Z65, but I'm going to upgrade later this spring to an Osprey (it'll drop a pound of pack weight but still have excellent suspension).

My "big three" depends on the season; but it hovers around 5-7 pounds depending on temperatures. For most of my three-season backpacking (GA mountains/AT areas), I prefer my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock and an Arrowhead tarp. Sleeping pad is the Exped-7 and sleeping bag is either a very minimalistic Kifaru Woobie or HPG Mountain Serape (both tested in Afghanistan). If temps are under 30 degrees, I'll switch out the hammock and go to ground in a Tarptent (Notch model) if solo (if it's my wife and I, we use the Tarptent Stratospire); the tent is actually lighter than the hammock set up at just under two pounds. I need to get a better down sleeping bag, but for now, my cold temperature sleeping bag is the Kifaru Slick bag, rated for 20 degrees and only two pounds...about equivalent to most quality down bags.

I'm quite comfortable with 30 pounds on my back and a few pounds on my chest (HPG Kit Bag) and can go all day with the weight if the suspension of the pack is comfortable. Don't skimp on quality pack suspension! Many ultra-light hikers can get down to 10-15 pounds, but often that weight is supported mostly by their shoulders and that will wear you down quickly.

I know I could cut down another few pounds, but there is a balance of comfort and convenience that is more important to me.

ROCK6

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sirthrivalist. stop posting threads.
next thread i want to see is pics of you getting dirt time.
otherwize all your threads are really pointless.
GO OUTSIDE!
No! I will never post pictures of me "doin' it" out of spite! I've been doin' it, but I refuse to submit to the internet
sub-culture of a person having to prove their bona fides to strangers! I am taking a stand against that sh!t. :D:

LOL! Seriously though? I made a personal decision in "not" posting my outings. Now I know that might get some
members panties in a bunch and it might infuriate some people, but they can hold their breath until they are blue
in the face for all I care.

Why? Because I felt like I was doing it to try to prove something to people. That's the wrong reason IMO. I'll post
on gear and techniques and ask for advice and share whatever I can contribute, but why do I need to prove that
I've been doing something to anyone? I don't. Weak people have that need. Not me.

And as for my threads being pointless, sorry you feel that way. I get private messages all the time of people telling
me how much they appreciate my threads and have thanked me a ton for something I shared that they found useful.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts