Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is happening a predicted over and over and over ... the city folks are running to the country in this SHTF virus situation. Clueless city people are bugging out to the country stripping the stores of anything they can get. In Logan OH. have posted pictures over and over of empty shelves of every day staples being bought up by locals and who ever else shows up to buy. Interesting local article to read:
https://www.100daysinappalachia.com...RgZ8MNEgYti_Pdk97Um5v9HHx5J3KwW2xgDFe3TP2fmjI

SEOhioPrepper

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
It is happening a predicted over and over and over ... the city folks are running
We call that "bugging out" in prepper lingo.

to the country in this SHTF virus situation. Clueless city people are bugging out to the country stripping
That is called "stocking up"

the stores of anything they can get. In Logan OH. have posted pictures over and over of empty shelves of every day staples being bought up by locals and who ever else shows up to buy. Interesting local article to read:
https://www.100daysinappalachia.com...RgZ8MNEgYti_Pdk97Um5v9HHx5J3KwW2xgDFe3TP2fmjI

SEOhioPrepper
Can't blame them, prices are climbing here already almost double on some items. Stuff may continue to go up in price... will all these stimulus programs expect inflation or superinflation.

The only way they are going to do that is to shut down non-commercial travel....

here there is now a 3 items of each thing per person rule

Thing is though that people don't want to have to venture out weekly for their essential goods... it actually creates more of a risk.

The real issue is the supply system isn't being managed well enough because there are delays on restocking from placing orders.

Other part is that some warehouses are running out of goods.

Especially from countries that have had shutdowns effecting production of exports.

Now with industries retooling around the world to produce medical goods even more supplies will stop being made. What is on the shelves in some cases is all there is.

People that get supplies on two week timeframe are at a definate disadvantage if things get worse.

However if people run out of money the social issue will be there and stuff will be shut down due to food riots.

And organized thefts.... you know welcome to Venezeula and every other country that was driven into extreme poverty by US sanctions.

Of course things will probably be ok, but if the food stops flowing to people for financial reasons and 30% of America is unemployed, that is sort of a bad news siutation

Meanwhile farmers need to keep machinery running etc.. same classic scenario of failed states,... they need the money they need the parts otherwise the whole thing needs to be nationalized and we know what happens with that.

This is not a new scenario.. but this shutdown is only intended to be temporary a few months so unless someone sucker punches the US by laucnhign some EMPS and nuking major cities while the US gov and military is locked down due to the virus etc.. everything will be fine.. it is just a waiting game... things are still way better than 50 years ago.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Rural places across the US need to push for a new policy: Show your ID to buy product. Not from the right zip code/area-- no food -- no services. It is a little late to be bugging out now.

Not to mention, if you really have a BOL-- then you have your preps there and you should not be stopping along the way exposing yourself (and you should have left 2 weeks ago minimum). These clowns are amateurs and if the supply trucks stop rolling they are going to become fertilizer right quick-like.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Rural places across the US need to push for a new policy: Show your ID to buy product. Not from the right zip code/area-- no food -- no services. It is a little late to be bugging out now.

Not to mention, if you really have a BOL-- then you have your preps there and you should not be stopping along the way exposing yourself (and you should have left 2 weeks ago minimum). These clowns are amateurs and if the supply trucks stop rolling they are going to become fertilizer right quick-like.
The pencil necked real estate developers who run the country and most of the states are way to cowardly and indecisive to make any decisions they can't back out of. If things get bad and food starts to dry up, they'll go on TV and ask people not to hoard, but by then the damage will be done. Way too many people are still wandering around like lost cats and wondering what's going to happen next.

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,052 Posts
theyre not "bugging out" they are casting further and further out from suburban/ urban area stores to try and find stuff that is not in the local stores.
they're not relocating.
I had to talk my wife down from doing that very thing because these idiots are bringing the chinese virus with them
Shun them like the plague they are but they'll be gone when the sun comes up or the stores in the cities are restocked

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Don't they flock away from the city on every holiday weekend? This one may be all summer long though.

Good news is rural American within a tank of gas from major cities will prob see property values rise quite a bit. We did after 9/11..the bad news is most weekenders are a special breed of stupid.

I'm glad we bought our hunting land when/where we did it's very hard to get to from any major city.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
How is the food situation in US cities?

Over here in the middle of a 0,5 million town I have dozens of stores in walking distance (which i define at less than 1km, other may disagree on that definition) and the only products which are difficult to obtain at the moment are toilet paper and yeast.

Sure, you do not get every type of pasta or flour, but who cares?

This is from the one shop I visited this week to buy vegetables, fruit, bread and other non storeable goods.

I would never have come to the idea that I must look at rural regions to buy food. Is this different in US?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
This is similar to what happens when a hurricane is coming to town, the people flee through rural areas sucking up all the gas and stripping stores of everything along the way like locusts, leaving the locals that live in the area nothing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the locals in this situation decided to take matters in their own hands and block the roads going into their area, turning people around that do not live there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is similar to what happens when a hurricane is coming to town, the people flee through rural areas sucking up all the gas and stripping stores of everything along the way like locusts, leaving the locals that live in the area nothing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the locals in this situation decided to take matters in their own hands and block the roads going into their area, turning people around that do not live there.
I would be surprise if locals can block public roads. I guess if the government didn’t exist anymore that would be easier. I live in a large city and have several grocery stores. All are stocked except for toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Rice and canned goods are about 50% of normal level. I am a essential employee and was at 2 different grocery stores yesterday.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I would be surprise if locals can block public roads. I guess if the government didn’t exist anymore that would be easier. I live in a large city and have several grocery stores. All are stocked except for toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Rice and canned goods are about 50% of normal level. I am a essential employee and was at 2 different grocery stores yesterday.
Those back roads going into rural areas don't see any kind of government and not a lot of traffic, I'd think the locals could block off the road easily, not to mention the local law enforcement probably wouldn't give two craps if they did, they might even help them...LOL

I'm also an "essential employee", I'm part of a team that helps keep the internet working for peeps in the entire SE US and central part of the country but I work from home and have been for the last 3yrs. We can work as much overtime as we want

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is happening a predicted over and over and over ... the city folks are running to the country in this SHTF virus situation. Clueless city people are bugging out to the country stripping the stores of anything they can get. In Logan OH. have posted pictures over and over of empty shelves of every day staples being bought up by locals and who ever else shows up to buy. Interesting local article to read:

SEOhioPrepper
I’m not surprised. Folks will travel to find what they need. Unfortunately, it affects local supply and medical. H County is the first stop in “the hills” on the road from the Capital. HC is also known for its tourism, which some of those city folks could be familiar with from past visits. Those first buffer towns from the city are always going to get hit. I think the next Wal Mart down the road is A-Town, my brother said it got hit hard as well. Other Wal Marts south and west of there wasn’t near as bad, yet. Out of curiosity has there been a increase of out of state tags in that region? My brother says he’s seen a couple and he lives way back in the coal hills down the racoon off a gravel road.

I can see some folks bugging out to family land if they lost there job or could tele work. If you had a bug out plan and lived in NYC you should of executed that plan by now. That place will be a mess soon.

I don’t think we will see locals blocking off routes, well not for a while yet. I don’t think communities are that interested in organizing it. Some people are still working, find food, have money for bills, and haven’t been exposed to the virus yet. I think there’s much for deterioration to come, because we start seeing that.

Could we see the NG stopping travel? Yeah, that would be the first step. Main travel routes would have check points on main exits and intersections. I still think that’s far off.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
theyre not "bugging out" they are casting further and further out from suburban/ urban area stores to try and find stuff that is not in the local stores.
they're not relocating.
I had to talk my wife down from doing that very thing because these idiots are bringing the chinese virus with them
Shun them like the plague they are but they'll be gone when the sun comes up or the stores in the cities are restocked
Give em time. They will decide to move there and then try to ban your guns.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Cute, but what happen when you want to buy a car, a tractor part or get an operation and the hospital asks for your ID? Or when Atlanta says the Amazon distribution center is only going to ship to the metro Atlanta area, and the folks in the Sticks are screwed.

Does a city of 8,000 with a Walmart, shut out the people from the next county because they are too rural?

That god my county of 13,000 does not subscribe to communism.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think it is a little bit of everything. The RV crowd leaving the cities for perceived safety from the virus out in the country. But with the lag time in showing symptoms, many already are infected. There is also some long range foraging going on. Some making trips out to rural towns cleaning out their stores of items that they cannot find in the cities. I know right here in our town, the last chest freezer in town was bought by a local who took it to a friend in Denver because there are none there.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Our county, and those surrounding us, have placed a moratorium on short term rentals, including Airbnb and Koa campgrounds. With all the national and state parks closed, this should slow down the RV crowd, as well as the weekenders. The problem is the amount of people who have summer cabins up here from more infected areas. They have been asked to self-quarantine (hah!).

·
Indefatigable
19,924 Posts
And the rural people are flocking to city hospitals by the thousands.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My county, Hocking County, and the two counties south of me Jackson and Vinton so far have no confirmed cases of the virus. We are in the hill country. Because we look 'clean' on the Ohio map, people are flocking here thinking we are virus free and buying everything they can find. But who knows how many are bringing the virus with them. There are tons of bed and breakfast cabins all over our county, and none are available for rent now.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

SEOhioPrepper
Well, brother, somehow I think that we both know Appalachian folk much better than nearly anyone else on this forum. Lets see....mountainous state, limited roads going in, LEOs are ALL local, and the locals, well, hard lives create hard people, at thier cores. I dont see how this possibly ends well for folks with out of state plate and very comdescending attitudes.

I liked the article, but only beltway people could think that this will work. Safer staying put.

Rural Buckeye Guy

·
Retired kafir
17,644 Posts
We call that "bugging out" in prepper lingo.

That is called "stocking up"

Can't blame them, prices are climbing here already almost double on some items.
Too bad. :mad:

What they are doing is neither bugging out nor stocking up. They are in locust mode. And prices in the rural areas are LOWER than in the cities? Just the opposite.

they're not "bugging out" they are casting further and further out from suburban/ urban area stores to try and find stuff that is not in the local stores.
they're not relocating.
The little market in my area finally put quantity limits on most of their stuff maybe so the tourists and weekenders wouldn't wipe them out in one day.

Rural grocery stores are stocked from the same warehouses the city stores are. We get last dibs. Stay in your city, there's nothing here for you. :mad:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts