Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Jesus, Family,and Country
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have had a couple of these knives. They are GREAT knives. However DO NOT buy factory seconds. They break extremely fast.

It is a very versitle knife, and can be used for everything from chopping wood to opening bottles! Very strong high carbon metal. The only problem with them is they are prone to rust so if you do take them on a survival camp or hike, you have to try to keep them dry. They also work very well for skinning and gutting game.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I agree they're good knives. But, I have not got mine to rust, even carrying it while wading down rivers for hours at a time. I've had it for 12-13 years and beat it senseless, but it's still in great shape.

Going to get one of the folding ones very soon.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh strange.. I bought a factory second, and it broke within 2 days of use! Probably different reasons they were seconds.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I was batoning my bushman into a piece of eucaliptus wood, "very hard" and it got stuck. I tried all i could to get it out but I had beat the daylights out of it trying to split it. Soooo I went and got my Ontario marine raider bowie. I fliped the wood over and batoned my bowie into it from the other side. I ended up driving my bowie all the way down to my bushman and slightly into the blade. I had a 1/4" v-shaped cut in the blade from my bowie. That was a couple months ago. Still use the bushman, I like it. A little to thin to split some big hardwoods with but a 10 out of 10 knock around knife. 19$!!!!!!!!!!

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I throw knives and the non second bushmans lasted TWO years of solid abuse. They finally broke at the blade handle transition. I think from the vibration.
Definately a 10/10

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would personally for mobility reasons. This will do alot of things a larger knife would do, but does not get in the way of moving around.However if you are cutting through vines in a rain forest via slashing... I would stick to the machette.

·
Where da' gold at?
566 Posts
I have a mini-bushman and and of the regular larger ones. The mini is my favorite, too bad they discontinued it. I love that knife.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have the bushman bowie but have not had any outdoor use with it as of yet. I bought mine strictly because I thought it would be neat to have the option of making a spear if the need should be with my knife. The only use mine has seen has been in the kitchen. I only started using it then because I had to start using some of my knives because the wife was getting on me about having so many and never using them yet I still want to buy more. Go figure. The bushman has cut onions, tomatoes, cut up roast and processed chicken. It is a wonderful slicer. I have had no problems with rust, even after cutting oinios, just a little on the very edge where no coating is, but a quick wipe and it comes off easily. Maybe the next deer or **** that I kill I will use it for cleaning and see how she does? I think it is a good beater knife as everyone has stated the Chinese mora made by an American company cheap yet lots of utility and durable. I think the main reason that I have not used this knife more extensivly is because I hate the sheath. It does not inspire confidence of safety when carrying. I have had the knife literally just fall out of the sheath when lying on ones side and a nice cut to my hand when moving tools around in my tool bag taught me that it was not a good place for it either. The knife goooood, sheath baaaaad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok I have had a couple of these knives. They are GREAT knives. However DO NOT buy factory seconds. They break extremely fast.

It is a very versitle knife, and can be used for everything from chopping wood to opening bottles! Very strong high carbon metal. The only problem with them is they are prone to rust so if you do take them on a survival camp or hike, you have to try to keep them dry. They also work very well for skinning and gutting game.
i like my russian ak 47 bayonet much better:cool:neo

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Speaking of kitchen use, as loki was, I've found the Bushman to come in very handy with watermelons. Just shove the blade in the middle, give a little twist, and watermelons generally just split right in half. Very handy.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with the sheath problem. When I took it out on hikes, hunts, and camping I found myself keeping my hand on it while I was running or laying so that it would not fall out.
You can however adapt it by putting a string through the bushman and tieing it to the sheath, but then it is not readily available when you need it in those "right now" moments.

When using it as a spear and you have troupble getting the stick, or pipe out of the handle, gently tap all around the hand and the stick will pop out.

One other thing, when using it for processing game, it is a great tool. It does the job very nicely though when you are gutting sometimes it is hard to miss the stomach and other organs that are best left... unschathed. If you know how to use the belly of the blade though you shouldn't have any problems with that either.

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
Just received my second bushman. with the handle shoved half way down in the sheath I have not had a problem with it falling out. At first I thought the sheath was to long :confused: till I realized I was not pushing the knife in far enough :rolleyes: doh. Not to bright somedays :D:

·
Registered
215 Posts
The older Bushman had a cheap leather sheath that was not as secure as it should be. The current Bushman has a nylon sheath that, as mentioned above, comes well up the handle and is very secure.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The new sheath does loosen over time though.. make sure you watch out for that.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cold Steel had a batch some years ago that were overhardened and broke at the join of blade and handle. Dr. Ron Hood had a few of these bad ones on a jungle expedition, giving them away to tribemen, ended up giving a Chief a real expensive knife to replace one that broke. Cold Steel supposedly changed the heat treat process to prevent recurrences .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts