Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious did anybody else other than me enjoy the movie The Book of Eli? I know it got some sketchy reviews but had some very relevant survival skills, scenarios and appilcations it portrayed. I liked it!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
390 Posts
Not a big fan of religion but Denzel and Olman are some of my Favorite actors, and to see Gary olman doing a nut job movie roll always gets my money, Movie was good too

·
Sunset Watcher
948 Posts
Yes, I liked it. Made me feel down for a while - I think it's the mother-thing in me. I feel horrible when I see violence against women and children especially.

I have a question to anyone who can answer it: Was Denzel Washington's character blind? Or, did God give him the ability to read braille? Maybe I missed something that was said in the plot as the connector point or the explanation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eli Blind?

Was his character blind? Yes it did appear that he was in an almost twisty ending. This was further suggested when he was cat hunting in the begininng while donning the gas mask and the wearing of sunglasses throughout. The "blind" concept was different, but not entirely new. Check out Zatochi (samurai series). By no means am I religous either but it worked.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Having done a TON of research on this...if you pay attention all the charecters wear glasses. This must be some sort of reference to increased sun, and decreased cloud cover.

In regards to his blindness, the author talked extensively about Eli being the embodiement of faith, and mission. And the faith to carry forth with the mission.

It is not a religious story, but rather it seems to be about the collection of human knowledge. Sort of as Lincoln said, the Better angels of our nature.

It is my feeling that he went blind as the movie went on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's been a while since I saw this movie when it came out but here is what I recall about the blindness issue. Denzel's character was blind from the beginning of the movie. The scene where he is scavenging in the house, you may notice that he bumps into things. He finds the dead body in the closet and feels to see if there are shoes. The fight sequence with the raiders mentions that he smells them first. There are camera shots that make it seem that he is listening for movement in his attackers. The other clue is when his Ipod dies. The screen always says dead battery but he never looks, just charges it when the music stops.

The sunglasses everyone wears I believe is due to the war and losing clouds and the sun beating on the earth, also causing water sources to dry up. The war mostly likely was nuclear type if people are going blind. If I rememeber right, Gary Oldman makes a reference about it and asks his blind lady if she was blind from before or after the war.

I need to rewatch this movie. I liked it for the most part. No Mad Max but better than the Postman. LOL

·
Swamp Rat
31 Posts
@ LD 50/50 - that would have been nice..

y'know i liked the movie a lot, and i have to admit that it wasnt till the second watch (after my GF mentioned it) that i noticed he was blind the whole time..

the movie was pretty well done, i was sad that it wasnt longer..

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I didn't like it, I just can't let some things slide. Like 30 year old gas still being functional in vehicles. And while there is shortage of water , Mila Kunis's hair is freshly washed and prettied up to provide us with eye candy throughout the movie. I like Mila, but this was not a good role for her, IMO.

5 minutes into the movie,with the hairless cat scene, I thought "this is going to be a bad ass movie". Sadly, as expected it was all down hill from there.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.