Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I have a locally made 10 foot plastic sit on kayak... More of a recreational design... Tracking could be better, payload is not much after you count my 200 lb frame...being a survivalist forum, ya all know our basic requirements... The river systems are an option near me... As is the big lake for my boat and the trees for my jeep....
Figure I d need a 12' kayak...
Prefer a low center of gravity sit on....
Maybe 325-350 lb capacity max
Narrow enough for river manuevering....
Not looking nessecarily for a standup capable fishing yak... They tend to get really wide
Dont wanna spend much over a grand if i dont have to....

Any suggestions from others who consider kayaks a bugout option?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Ill be watching this thread. I have seen some real nice ones set up with rod holders and even electronics trolling Pike in Michigan. I dont much about Kayaks except that they seem to be pretty easy to get around in and reach fast enough speeds for trolling .

·
Registered
684 Posts
You won't find a do everything kayak. Some will be good for some things and not good for other things. You will have to set priorities on what you want. You can also have "pack kayaks" to carry loads. Run cords through PVC pipes to keep them from running up on the yak ahead of it.

There are a lot of kayak videos on you-tube for ideas.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
You mentioned in the op you wanted it for a "bug out boat"

Not sure what that is-but for 1 grand you mentioned-a 12-14 foot john boat and 5 hp motor / electric trolling motor would be way more usefull.
Carry 2-3 people or 800#'s..way faster.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
While an aluminum canoe is about as tough as an anvil they are a slug compared to a well thought out Kevlar boat!

Research what works well heavily loaded in the boundary waters! Some like race inspired designs, but I favor designs ment for heavy loads!

I like kayaks too, but for most water I've been around I find a canoe more useful!

SD

·
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0
3,660 Posts
I can fix a sizable tear in an aluminum canoe with Pine pitch heated on a fire... you need an epoxy kit
with kevlar fabric and containers, etc. All I need is the ability to make fire, Pine trees, and a stick.
Part of my job here at the lodge is repairing boats, and before that, I worked with epoxies and
composites professionally.... The KISS principle must always apply to watercraft when it comes to
repairs out in the wild. that is probably why Birch Bark canoes were popular for about1000 years.

·
-
1,485 Posts
A packraft is my idea of a bugout vessel that can be carried over long distance in a backpack. It's of course not as good as a canoe or kayak for longer water based trips but my use would be solely for crossing water obstacles while hiking, rather than making rivers/lakes my primary mode of navigation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Far more efficient are the longer sit in kayaks. You need more waterline for more speed/effeciency. A 12 foot boat with 350 lbs will be a dog. Never track or move well.

Problem is that a Kayak can be a "sitting duck", if someone wants to take what you have...
Understandable.... I am looking at increasing my options... I have a boat, a jeep, and a "not what i hoped for kayak" looking at improving on the kayak... Canoes are not bad... But i prefer the kayak idea...

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Forget kayaks and get a canoe or a rowboat.

I can carry a 800 of moose, another hunter, myself and our gear in my 18'--try that in an equivalent sized kayak.

Concerned about wave breaking overtop, then get a waterproof cover called a spray deck.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Forget kayaks and get a canoe or a rowboat.

I can carry a 800 of moose, another hunter, myself and our gear in my 18'--try that in an equivalent sized kayak.

Concerned about wave breaking overtop, then get a waterproof cover called a spray deck.
What canoe is that top picture if you don't mind me asking?

SD

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Souris River Canoe
Atikokan, ON Canada P0T 1C0

Model Quetico 18.5'

http://www.sourisriver.com/
I was totally hoping that it was as I've never talked to anyone with any time in one.

My research has me believing it should be on my short list!

Load would be 2 adults one growing kid, a hundred pound dog or two and whatever gear we're using that day or that weekend!

SD

1 - 20 of 41 Posts