Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
WOW! I have a problem with birds, squirrels, and Opossums in my garden but I cannot imagine what I would do if there was a bear problem. One more thing for me to be greatful for.

·
Pedophiles will die soon!
1,184 Posts
My word! you are one brave person. You filmed a bear and was talking to it! I am impressed since I would have ran like crazy if I saw one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's gotten used to me. My rawr used to scare it away. Now I have to get out a coffee can with some bolts in it to rattle. My brother was laughing at my rawr and asked if I was planning to cook it supper :rolleyes:

Didn't feel like running for the rubber bullets. As you can tell from the wheezing my asthma doesn't agree with running without an inhaler LOL

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
MaKettle, make yourself a bullroarer, and swing it next time he comes up. He'll not like the noise. Or else, get a cheap yard-sale radio and tune it to a rap station.... full volume....

·
Registered
510 Posts
.30-06 or 12 gauge slug will take care of your garden problem.

He ain't going away, and any noise makers you come up with, he'll get used to.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shooting it won't help. There's plenty more to take it's place. They release bears in the state park right over the hill so they visit regularly. I taught my dog to alert me before chasing them off after I lost my previous dog to one. We used to have horses and a bear come off the hill to the horse shed at feeding time. The dog jumped in between and the bear swatted it, tossed it near 20 feet away. She recovered some but the damage was too much, had to put her down less than a year later she was in so much pain.

I do have rubber plugs to shoot at them but I don't always remember to take them out with me :upsidedown: One of these days I'll get tired enough of them and get me a bear rug.

·
One of the Good Guys
268 Posts
I'm with HidenSeek. The meat is not so good, but several bearskin rugs/blankets sure will keep you warm in the winter. Also if the bear is coming that close to the house, I would consider it a danger to humans.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Contact the DNR in your area and report him/her. A nuisance bear needs to be dealt with. Hopefully, they will just relocate the bear. They may do something more drastic.

·
Homesteader
4,145 Posts
I'm with HidenSeek. The meat is not so good, but several bearskin rugs/blankets sure will keep you warm in the winter. Also if the bear is coming that close to the house, I would consider it a danger to humans.
Depending on what it is eating, bear meat can be some of the finest meat available. If it is eating fish or carrion it can be vile.

To the OP, back bears in the wild are not normally dangerous but can be. The ones like this one that have become habituated to humans can be very dangerous. Do not underestimate the danger from this bear.

·
Homesteader
4,145 Posts
Shooting it won't help. There's plenty more to take it's place. They release bears in the state park right over the hill so they visit regularly. I taught my dog to alert me before chasing them off after I lost my previous dog to one. We used to have horses and a bear come off the hill to the horse shed at feeding time. The dog jumped in between and the bear swatted it, tossed it near 20 feet away. She recovered some but the damage was too much, had to put her down less than a year later she was in so much pain.

I do have rubber plugs to shoot at them but I don't always remember to take them out with me :upsidedown: One of these days I'll get tired enough of them and get me a bear rug.
Quit fooling around with rubber bullets. That just makes them mad. They can swat you 20 ft too.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Contact the DNR in your area and report him/her. A nuisance bear needs to be dealt with. Hopefully, they will just relocate the bear. They may do something more drastic.
THIS is where DCNR relocates the bears TO. LOL That's what I'm saying. They release these bears up here because they were taken out of towns or other areas as nuisance bears to begin with. Most are tagged except some of the young ones and a few crafty ones.

Depending on what it is eating, bear meat can be some of the finest meat available. If it is eating fish or carrion it can be vile.

To the OP, back bears in the wild are not normally dangerous but can be. The ones like this one that have become habituated to humans can be very dangerous. Do not underestimate the danger from this bear.

Quit fooling around with rubber bullets. That just makes them mad. They can swat you 20 ft too.
The bears up here have not attacked PEOPLE but they do damage to homes and camps where people leave easy access foods around. They've got a head start on it because many were relocated here as nuisance bears from other areas. There really isn't anywhere but a zoo TO relocate them. This is kind of the 'last stop' for them.

I'm not stupid enough to walk up and shake hands. But like I tell my mom (who freaks out saying the kids should never play outside and I shouldn't be going out to tend chickens in the evening) we learn to live with the animals around us. Not eliminate them for convenience.

For me... that means locking up the animals at night, keeping livestock feed inside the house, emptying feeders at night, and sending a dog out with the kids to alert to things they don't notice. And an occasional ammonia filled peanut butter balloon or rubber bullet.

But no... they are never underestimated or taken lightly. Highly respected. But not feared. Bears are beautiful! They're so much fun to watch. And when you grow their favorite foods on your property you kind of have to expect them to show up at some point. I understand that. Doesn't mean I can't get annoyed the 573rd time I chase it off though.

I'm going to put an old livestock gate I've got rusting in the woods at the bottom of that bank to see if it will find someplace else to go up at. I really shouldn't have put my garden right smack in front of the bear path but eh, live and learn, it's the best place for it and he'll have to find a new crossing zone.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I'm glad to hear you like bears. :) I'm a Lily/Hope/Faith fan and like bears, too.

Reactions: BooBooBear

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
We had trouble with a bear the last 5 weeks. We now wash out the conhtainers that our food comes in before we place them in the garbage cans. The garbage cans are placed in the storage shed with strong smelling dryer sheets on them. We spray them with Fabreeze 3 times a week to keep the oder strong. Bears have a sensative nose.

We have a radio on near our bee hive (use to have 2) and hubby turns it to a static station and turns in on high at night.

Bear has not shown an interest in the garden. If this were a serious shtf situation, bear would be dead!

I figure next summer it will probably be a shtf situation if our government keeps going the way they are.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts