Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the bare minimum and most essential items someone should start storing? Be specific, 15 items or less, include food. what do you guys say?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
Beans and grains are a good place to start. But it's just as easy to store a variety as it is to just store beans and rice. That's important from a nutritional standpoint as well as to avoid appetite fatigue. Rather than try to simplify it down to the very least a person could get by on, why not work out a budget then buy what you can that fits within it.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
First, you need to do a threat assessment. What do you see as the most likely threat to you personally? Make a list, 1 through 5. What is your condition? Single? Married? Children? What are your living arrangements? Do you own or rent? What type of vehicle do you drive? What is your geographical location? What is the political climate? Do you intend on bugging in or bugging out? You have to address these issues first. It will lead you to making the best decisions on what the bare minimum would be for your particular environment. TP

·
Registered
97 Posts
1. water
2. food
3. fire starting
4. firearm and ammo
5. knife
6. portable shelter
7. hand tools
8. flash light
9. entertainment
10. a bob

I won't go into specifics like you need rice, and beens, and oats, and a knife, and axe, striker fire started and glocks only because everything else is dumb and you don't want to be dumb now do you? Everything I wrote is covered more indepth on other parts of the site. It just covers the basics. If lightning strikes you house and insurance won't cover repairs for 2 weeks its not the end of the world, but those supplies will be pretty handy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My essential bug out list:
katadyne pocket water filter
sleeping bag/w gortex bivy sac
22 lr rifle / with atleast 2k rounds
backpack
food/mre/ rice/ as much as you can carry
water/ camelback
good boots
good knife fixed blade
rain gear
hi cap pistol in atleast 9mm(atleast 100 rounds of ammo)
knowledge of the area/terrain /water sources/ maps/internally know north(not an item but knowledge prep)
socks atleast 5 pairs
pews perimeter defense ( will help you sleep knowing you have a perimeter alarm online)
backpacking stove that can run on white gas/ kerosene/ unleaded or anything in between
small shovel/ e-tool
rope or paracord and fishing line/hooks

in terms of bug in storage/ the sky is the limit and my list is long with much more food, armory, electricity, nbc gear, and some extra defensive items.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For a household bug in. these are good places to start.
Water and water filters for your sink like PUR 3 stage filtes
Canned food
Powerd milk, if you use alot.
Small portable stove with a good stock of gas for cooking (In case of rolling blackouts)
Batterys for flashlights/lanterns/radios
Ammo
Good pair of shoes
Toilet paper
First aid
Soap and hand gel
Househlod items you use a lot like laundry soap.
Some good reading material.
Pets? Strock oum on dry and wet food.
Silver
If you have kids, make sure they have enough good clothes for about a year

·
Registered
28 Posts
One thing that I always bring with me is my Sony EReader and Solar Joos charger. As much as I love to prep and read about prepping, my mind can't hold everything I may need to know. I keep all of my survival manuals and misc survival info on my EReader so that if the occasion arises where I, say, need information on a certain plant that I do not recognize, I can look it up. The Solar Joos charges it and is very durable and water resistant.

Are they necessary, maybe not, but they could potentially make life much easier for me for the amount of space/weight they take up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts