Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have taken Elpel's classes and loved them. It is nice to walk out into the wilderness with nothing and within a day have what is needed to survive for short term and within a three day period have longer term survival tools that we made with our own hands. I have taken outdoor survival classes from others but I think I learned the most from Elpel with a close running from Thayer.

BLT

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to take his course as soon as I can afford it. Hopefully next spring.

In the mean time I am studying Botany in a day and learning to identify edible plants.

My goal is to be able to forage for food well enough to sustain myself by this time next year.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Ive read a similar artical about the Shoshonean, sounds like they truely lived in harmony with thier enviroment.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
really good point about shelter. When hiking solo, I frequently just flop down under a tree, or by the fire if it's safe to have one. Shelters protect you from the elements, if there are no elements, why put up a shelter?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Elpel has a wonderful article in "Primitive Technology II, Ancestral Skills". It's title is 'Wild Plants Economics'. It's good read if you can find the book. He has written many articles for The Society of Primitive Technology. If you can get their Bulletin it makes for a very technical read on how practice primitive skills, written by people who actually do practice primitive skills.

BLT

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Elpel has a wonderful article in "Primitive Technology II, Ancestral Skills". It's title is 'Wild Plants Economics'. It's good read if you can find the book. He has written many articles for The Society of Primitive Technology. If you can get their Bulletin it makes for a very technical read on how practice primitive skills, written by people who actually do practice primitive skills.

BLT
Reply]
I have that book!! I am working on getting through Botany in a day first,then the Naked into the Wilderness series is next.

I have Participating in Nature as well.

I have skimmed all of them so far, and will dive into them fully once I am done with Botany in a day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts