Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

From their website: http://www.tacda.org/index.php/about-the-american-civil-defense-association/

TACDA was formed in the early 1960’s in response to our nation's reliance on atomic weaponry as a centerpiece of foreign policy following World War II, up to and including the onset of the Cold War. During the Cold War, many feared a nuclear strike from the Soviet Union. In an attempt to protect American civilians, a civil defense campaign emphasizing the use of fallout shelters commenced. In response to the Soviet’s first atomic explosion and the Korean War, the Federal Civil Defense Administration was started in 1951.
Their mission:

The mission of The American Civil Defense Association (TACDA) is to provide education, products and resources that empower American Citizens with a comprehensive understanding of reasonable preparedness strategies and techniques; promoting a self-reliant, pro-active approach to protecting themselves, their families and their communities in the event of nuclear, biological, chemical or other manmade and natural disasters.
Sounds like a great idea! Any of you old-timers remember the Civil Defense? This is the same thing only under a new name and without gov't support.. Their website has tons of useful information and downloads available, and has over 50 years experience in emergency and shtf scenarios. You younger folks may not remember this or even heard of it before being renamed to FEMA.

I know it's merely a pipe dream, but America really needs something like CD to pull us together as a nation again. The only way this can happen is if you take the initiative and present it to others in such a way so as not to make you come off looking like a paranoid survivalist moonbat. Direct a friend, family member or co-worker to the Civil Defense website to pique their interest or curiosity and show them prepping isn't about being like an armed to the teeth Rambo in a dank fallout shelter awaiting doomsday

Survival books, knives, potassium iodide, etc: http://www.tacda.org/store/index.php

Ham radio info and links: http://www.tacda.org/index.php/radio-active/

=====================================================

Some cool '50s and '60s civil defense motivational posters and stock photos:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea, they look like they just got their site up and going. Their store is seriously short on items and those they have, most are high priced. Well, at least in the hardware department.

Still good to see CD getting ressurected. I remember going to the CD command station and working with the radios with a friend of mine. Maintenance type stuff.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
As you scroll through their "store" the same products keep popping up.... the same water filter, etc -- almost as though they do not have a lot of stuff for sale

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they're new and just getting started. There's no information on the Weapons Effects and Resources & Links, either.. I'm interested in receiving their monthly news journal

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I looked up William Perkins and found that he was chairman of a local group in Florida in the Ocala, FL area in 1962. It was a group listed would be extremely old at this point if they were together in 1962 and a local outfit only. This smells of a scam.

Also found out they are a company out of Draper UT. Do a Google search and you will find out lots of things about these so called agencies.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked up William Perkins and found that he was chairman of a local group in Florida in the Ocala, FL area in 1962. It was a group listed would be extremely old at this point if they were together in 1962 and a local outfit only. This smells of a scam.

Also found out they are a company out of Draper UT. Do a Google search and you will find out lots of things about these so called agencies.
CD is not affiliated with .gov anymore, and how can this be a scam? Different people from 50 years ago.. LoL

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
CD is not affiliated with .gov anymore, and how can this be a scam? Different people from 50 years ago.. LoL
They list William Perkins as the President of it and he was the guy involved in the local group in Ocala in 1962. All the people on the board are Ocala or nearby residents. Check it for yourself. The VP was a long term doctor in the area. All the stuff on them is from the 1960 to 1962 period. Seems like Perkins was mentioned in a book written in 2004.

I am not saying that they are a scam for sure. You had better check anyone out before you give them money or information on yourself.

Also check it out on the web. They are a for profit company set up out of Draper UT. It is like a store. If it makes you happy go for it. I am just trying to tell you they are not what they appear to be.

Type in Google search "American Civil Defense Association" and see what comes up.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They list William Perkins as the President of it and he was the guy involved in the local group in Ocala in 1962. All the people on the board are Ocala or nearby residents. Check it for yourself. The VP was a long term doctor in the area. All the stuff on them is from the 1960 to 1962 period. Seems like Perkins was mentioned in a book written in 2004.

I am not saying that they are a scam for sure. You had better check anyone out before you give them money or information on yourself.

Also check it out on the web. They are a for profit company set up out of Draper UT. It is like a store. If it makes you happy go for it. I am just trying to tell you they are not what they appear to be.

Type in Google search "American Civil Defense Association" and see what comes up.
Thanks for the heads up. The CD brings back so many good memories, and I wouldn't knowingly lend support to any type of scam, but the website seems legit to me. If they aren't on the level it will dishonor the good names of all the folks who served with pride and dignity for so many years, and drag the CD name through the dirt. It could be possible they're just another company out there profiting from the 2012 Doomsday scare riding on the shoulders of the good name of Civil Defense--I hope the hell not

There's gotta be someone on here that subscribes the their monthly news journal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts