Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a Medium LC-1 olivedrab ALICE pack. I was drawn to this bag for its utilitariansim and durability.

I have had fun with the bag so far, and it will primarily be a go bag, but I plan on using it for camping and hunting as well.

I've seen alot of mods out there improving upon the system (as soldiers often do) and would like to see and hear your ideas on this solid platform.

I'll take photos and post them later.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I highly recommend these exterior ALICE clip pouches for addition to your pack. I have a pair of the longs mounted to the sides of my ALICE Large. Very sturdy sewing quality, zippers, and materials. Excellent bit of kit for not much money. $10.95 each.

http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/alice-pack-add-a-pouch-p4945.aspx

·
Hating the new Amerika.
2,856 Posts

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Some folk on here don't like alice.

Hellcat mods have been mentioned several times.

Whatever pouch you can add on is up to your needs.
Two quart canteens and SAW pouches are the norm.
Some even use butt packs on sides and top.

There are even some that remove the outer pockets to make pack low drag.

Some never use frame with pack.
Cause it hurts their back.

You'll see alice on here almost as many times as bob.
Some folk don't know the difference between alice and molle.
Some Oz folk call their ruck a alice, but its not USGI.

Just in case you've never seen the manual:
http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/_alice/alicemanual.htm

You can also download FM 21-15 from the survival files.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=844

·
Registered
599 Posts
This is the mod I made to my Medium ALICE. I added the patrol pack from a CFP-90 to the back of the ALICE. Later on, I lucked into a woodland MOLLE Assault Pack, so I used it (and a MOLLE waist pack) to replace the Patrol Pack.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Some say they have their water bladders between the frame and pack.

One said he has the 5qt USGI bladder tied there.
I tried it with mine, its doable.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Reactions: OliveDrabPatriot

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Lot of mods detailed on youtube. In the process of putting an alice bag (or two) together myself. Bought a medium and a large and a web belt with Y harness as well. One of the easiest and most obvious (except to the military of course) is making a paracord carrying/lifting handle for the top of the frame. I just used a paracord premade bracelet with a fastex type buckle.

Also got a carry shelf that fits the bottom of the frame that might come in handy with a couple of straps for use without the pack attached to it.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I have about 20 new Alice packs, large and about 20 medium, a couple of woodland camo, a few frames, a pack shelf and some newer Molles I am going to make Hell cats out of.

·
Registered
599 Posts

·
Prepper
11 Posts
I've had a Medium Alice LC2 pack for about a year and find it quite good. I was looking at doing the Hellcat conversion, but the components are almost impossible to get in Oz and the range available on ebay is pretty limited with most sellers wanting between $60-$70 for postage. After a lot of searching on Google I found a set of Platatac straps and pad. They are designed as a straight out replacement for the LC2 gear. This set is not cheap (Nothing is in Oz). The straps are comfortable and the kidney pad is double the thickness. The pack sits well on the back with these new straps and pad. I have noticed that my back feels much better after a days hiking with new gear.

On a side note. A mate of mine, who is still serving in the Army, gave me one of his sets of British PLCE LBE he 'liberated' when in Afghanistan. He swears by this set up and uses it for bushwalking etc.

Has anyone used this set up and what is your opinion of it?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The design of the ALICE is almost perfect....basic ruck with nothing to fail. The problem is that it was designed to work with pistol belt and web gear. This forced the pack to ride high pushing the weight straight through your kidneys. With the USMC moving away from the ILBE you can get them beyond cheap.

·
I LOVE THIS PLACE
380 Posts
I seen somewhere a guy mounted a holster on the inside of the frame. I guess to carry a concealed pistol it might of been on this board. Looked pretty accessible like a small of the back carry

Chuck~

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been looking for a big pack. Went to both of the military surplus stores in town. Cheapest Alice's were 60 bucks no frame or webbing just the empty bag. Where should I be looking to find one complete with with pack strapss and what price. Thanks

·
Ελευθερί&#
1,183 Posts
I am looking to pick one up on ebay. Just be sure to read descriptions and make sure it is Government issue and is assembled to your satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts