Survivalist Forum banner

The $50 Game

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  rugster 
#1 ·
You have 50 big ones. What do you buy? Several bricks of .22? $50 in canned tuna? A Pressure Canner (doesn't have to be exactly $50)?

These are the things (among others) I am trying to choose between. Any other suggestions are appreciated. I do not have a pressure canner but I have about a month's worth of food stored for my fam and I - one month for me, one for my wife, one for my daughter. I don't believe it is near enough food but unlike some here, I don't believe any full scale collapse is imminent. I think we have some time yet.

I currently have about 2000 round of .22, 250 round #4, 250 rounds 00 Buck, 1200 rounds .40, 200 rounds .30-06, and 5000 rounds of .223 / 5.56. I would LIKE to get a VFG / light for my AR, I would LIKE to take a few guns I really don't care about and trade them for one I DO like (but to what end? I'll keep doing that as long as I live), I would LIKE to get more magazines for everything I own, I just don't know if those things are as important as, say, a pressure canner or more food. You can never have enough food and ammo but I'm wondering which route (or other unmentioned) I should take.

Input please.

#6 ·
Welcome to the never ending circle.

Food
Water
Medical
Hardware/tools
Security/weapons
Equipment/major stuff
Then I start over.

I don't pretend to know what is coming. However one thing is sure things will be higher no matter what and if there is a crash self sufficancy items will be at a preimium.
Best to have it now rather than want it then.

#7 ·
Not knowing what you have and what you don't have, if your planning on canning, also think about storing seeds, maybe put the $50.00 into Herloom seeds if you do not already have them already. If you do have seeds then invest in a good canning book like the one written by "Jacky Clay". If you have both these how about canning jars?

Your long term plan should be augmented by the supplies in order to make those plans come to life. You have a decent amount of ammo, and you could always buy another 500rnds for $22.99 each time you go to Walmart. Other supplies may need to be ordered and are harder to come by.

#10 ·
I think you have enough ammunition for now. IMO, you need to work on food-related preps. Get a good pressure canner, and if you do, get an extra gasket or two (unless you get a gasketless All American).

#14 ·
A pack of marlboro lights, some beef stix, and a small bottle of Jameson.

And as smarta$$ as it sounds, its really not. I have a fixed budget that gets pooled towards preparing for various things. If i found a $50 bill on the ground, i would smile at my fortune and enjoy TODAY and NOW.

#17 ·
I live on a lake (1400 acres) so water isn't a HUGE issue - not as much as it would be for some. The lake is fed by a river and the river is typically high except during extremely dry spells. On the other hand, a water purification system is something I currently lack. That's option one.

The pressure canner - thanks to some words here - is probably on par with the H2O Purifier for top item on the list right now.

#18 ·
seems like you are good enough on guns and ammo.. i'd really need to know what other supplies you have but i'd concentrate on food, water, medical at this point

-rice is cheap in 50# bags add some canned meat and veggies to the mix
-water disinfecting & filtration seems to be a weak point
-start a garden at home if you have the space (if you don't have one)

-home medical supplies; various bandages, Antacids for heartburn, Pain relievers and fever reducers, Cold cough and flu medicines like nyquil, Antibiotic ointment & other wound cleaning supplies peroxide, betadine , Benadryl, Hydro cortisone cream, Immodium for diarrhea , Dramamine, eye flush, hand lotion, bug spray, lip balm, sun screen, preparation H, baby wipes, chlorox sanitary wipes, no wash hand sanitizer,

then get more mag's if you want

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.