Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Liberty Defense Agent
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have 50 big ones. What do you buy? Several bricks of .22? $50 in canned tuna? A Pressure Canner (doesn't have to be exactly $50)?

These are the things (among others) I am trying to choose between. Any other suggestions are appreciated. I do not have a pressure canner but I have about a month's worth of food stored for my fam and I - one month for me, one for my wife, one for my daughter. I don't believe it is near enough food but unlike some here, I don't believe any full scale collapse is imminent. I think we have some time yet.

I currently have about 2000 round of .22, 250 round #4, 250 rounds 00 Buck, 1200 rounds .40, 200 rounds .30-06, and 5000 rounds of .223 / 5.56. I would LIKE to get a VFG / light for my AR, I would LIKE to take a few guns I really don't care about and trade them for one I DO like (but to what end? I'll keep doing that as long as I live), I would LIKE to get more magazines for everything I own, I just don't know if those things are as important as, say, a pressure canner or more food. You can never have enough food and ammo but I'm wondering which route (or other unmentioned) I should take.

Input please.

·
Registered
758 Posts
First choice:
Save up until you have $100-$150 and get yourself a water filter - I suggest a Sawyer Zero Point Two with Bucket adapter

Second choice:
100 lbs of rice - then work on getting some Mylar bags, buckets, and O2 absorbers

Wait until you see tuna on sale for $0.50 a can - then spend $50 on it (100 cans)

Oh --- and Go Hawks!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
I'd be aweful tempted to get the pressure canner. Canning is not only a good way to put up storage food, but a great way to save money by taking advantage of sales and such. The money saved can be applied to further preps.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Toss up between water filter and pressure cooker for me. But if you have neither, then I think the best first purchase would be the water filter.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Welcome to the never ending circle.

Food
Water
Medical
Hardware/tools
Security/weapons
Equipment/major stuff
Then I start over.

I don't pretend to know what is coming. However one thing is sure things will be higher no matter what and if there is a crash self sufficancy items will be at a preimium.
Best to have it now rather than want it then.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Not knowing what you have and what you don't have, if your planning on canning, also think about storing seeds, maybe put the $50.00 into Herloom seeds if you do not already have them already. If you do have seeds then invest in a good canning book like the one written by "Jacky Clay". If you have both these how about canning jars?

Your long term plan should be augmented by the supplies in order to make those plans come to life. You have a decent amount of ammo, and you could always buy another 500rnds for $22.99 each time you go to Walmart. Other supplies may need to be ordered and are harder to come by.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
I think you have enough ammunition for now. IMO, you need to work on food-related preps. Get a good pressure canner, and if you do, get an extra gasket or two (unless you get a gasketless All American).

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
I would go with a pressure canner first...second choice would be a good selection of vegetable seeds.

Your harvest can be fully enjoyed by eating some of it fresh, and then enjoying the canned harvest later.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'd go with the pressure canner.

Tuna has too much mercury. the bullets have too much lead. Contamination from the pressure canner won't be a problem since the jars are sealed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A pack of marlboro lights, some beef stix, and a small bottle of Jameson.

And as smarta$$ as it sounds, its really not. I have a fixed budget that gets pooled towards preparing for various things. If i found a $50 bill on the ground, i would smile at my fortune and enjoy TODAY and NOW.

·
Young Living Ind Dist.
146 Posts
Not knowing your water supply situation, I would go with a pressure canner. If your water is an unstable source, then a filter system would be first.

·
Liberty Defense Agent
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live on a lake (1400 acres) so water isn't a HUGE issue - not as much as it would be for some. The lake is fed by a river and the river is typically high except during extremely dry spells. On the other hand, a water purification system is something I currently lack. That's option one.

The pressure canner - thanks to some words here - is probably on par with the H2O Purifier for top item on the list right now.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
seems like you are good enough on guns and ammo.. i'd really need to know what other supplies you have but i'd concentrate on food, water, medical at this point

-rice is cheap in 50# bags add some canned meat and veggies to the mix
-water disinfecting & filtration seems to be a weak point
-start a garden at home if you have the space (if you don't have one)

-home medical supplies; various bandages, Antacids for heartburn, Pain relievers and fever reducers, Cold cough and flu medicines like nyquil, Antibiotic ointment & other wound cleaning supplies peroxide, betadine , Benadryl, Hydro cortisone cream, Immodium for diarrhea , Dramamine, eye flush, hand lotion, bug spray, lip balm, sun screen, preparation H, baby wipes, chlorox sanitary wipes, no wash hand sanitizer,

then get more mag's if you want

1 - 18 of 18 Posts