Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that I know that there are many, many much better choices for a self defence/SHTF handgun. But, as most of you know, i'm 13 years old, and as it turns out, after those many hours of researching, and all those threads I started, it turns out I can't "get" a handgun anyways :( What's Ironic is that last time I counted I "own" 15 long guns. I'm very responsible with them all, can safely and fairly accurately) shoot, handle, operate, and maintain them all, yet apparently, i'm not mature enough f, handgun. :(:confused: I simply don't understand why, but my Mom is just strongly opposed to me "having" a handgun. The only handgun we have is an old model Browning Buckmark Camper. I love the gun, and i'm accurate with it. Believe me, as soon as I can, i'm getting a 9mm, or .45, or .357 Magnum, (and eventually many different makes and models of all three;)) but since it's all i'll have for quite a while, what is the absolute most potent, best penetrating, best expanding .22lr round I can get?

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
what is the absolute most potent, best penetrating, best expanding .22lr round I can get?
OK, follow along with me here...

The most potent round available is probably the CCI Stinger...the best penetrating is the CCI MiniMag round nose...the best expanding is the MiniMag hollow point...

Um...wut?

Due to the limited velocity and bullet weight inherent in th 22LR round the three characteristics are mutually exclusive...the Stinger has a high velocity but a lighter bullet weight...the hollow point expands well but that expansion limits penetration...and the round nose penetrates better but doesn't expand enough to cause an effective wound channel...

So...bullet choice depends on intended target...for small game the stinger offers adequate penetration and expandability...but for a self-defense round the bullet is too light, so the MiniMag is a better choice...

I limited my answer to the CCI rounds because they are probably the best all around choice...for plinking and practice the Federal Champion in bulk is my usual choice...

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,888 Posts
CCI Stingers..........Aim for the eyes!

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Survival Helper: No offence, but... Did you even read the whole thread? I said I have 15 long guns. In my SHTF Aresenal, though, I have A Stevens M200 .308 for long range, Type 56 SKS as MBR, Ruger 10/22 for hunting and backup, and Remington 870 Express Mag 12 Gauge. I might even include my Marlin 336 30-30 as backup for my SKS, but 30-30 ammo is pretty much impossible to stock up on.

Will everyone PLEASE read the ENTIRE thread before replying?

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweeper80: But isn't it important to have a good, solid, reliable handgun for backup, even if it is just a .22lr?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Will everyone PLEASE read the ENTIRE thread before replying?[/QUOTE]

having some time on my hands I took your advice and read through your postings...I have come to the conclusion...that you are a troll in the making....if not....you are developing a truely obnoxious personality...good luck in your future

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
Sweeper80: But isn't it important to have a good, solid, reliable handgun for backup, even if it is just a .22lr?
Perhaps as a back up to your back up.

Think 12 gauge for primary, SKS for back up, then mouse gun for back up's back up.

Someone once said "The handgun is only there so you can fight your way back to your rifle" or something of the sort.

Fact is, people have been shot multiple times with the venerable .45 ACP fired out of a 1911 and lived to tell the tale and carry the scars.

Harder to say the same for the 12 gauge shotgun, even with a puny #8 birdshot load :thumb:

·
Registered
248 Posts
You could try those Aguila 60 grainers. They have great penetration and I think they actually have the tendency to yaw because they are so long.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Survival Helper: No offence, but... Did you even read the whole thread? I said I have 15 long guns. In my SHTF Aresenal, though, I have A Stevens M200 .308 for long range, Type 56 SKS as MBR, Ruger 10/22 for hunting and backup, and Remington 870 Express Mag 12 Gauge. I might even include my Marlin 336 30-30 as backup for my SKS, but 30-30 ammo is pretty much impossible to stock up on.

Are you a... "nevermind"... Why do you think I had replied the way I did?

I tell ya what squirt, I fixed it for ya to directly reflect your attitude.

I see ya got this huge arsenal of fictitious weapons. So you make the decision to use the smallest, least reliable one for SHTF survival. I couldn't agree more with your decision.

Please use Aquilla Super Colibri ammunition in all defensive situations. PLEASE be cautious though, it does turn any .22 pistol into a silenced ninja death ray. Thats right folks, a real ninja death ray!! end / sarcasam

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

having some time on my hands I took your advice and read through your postings...I have come to the conclusion...that you are a troll in the making....if not....you are developing a truely obnoxious personality...good luck in your future[/QUOTE]

How am I a troll? No seriously, find evidence of me being a troll. I apoligized to FNG33, and wer'e friends now, if that's what you're talking about.

Look. I try my best to respect other's opinions.
But you have to remember: I'm 13.
H-O-R-M-O-N-E-S.
I'm not blaming it completely on my age. I'll admit, I can be fairly hotheaded at times. But I consider myself a pretty reasonable person. Honestly, how many 13 year olds do you know of that woulen't get banned from the forum within 1 week?
I don't believe that asking people looking at the thread to read the whole thing is rude.

Honestly, dude, your conclusion is based off of nothing.

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Since some people can be jerks,

I only have 2 long guns, my Savage 64 22. semi-auto and my Savage 24f double barrel.

IF SHTF, I will choose my 22. as my main weapon, of course I been extremely fortunate with having seasonal jobs, which might allow me to get a Berreta Px4 as a side arm. If all you have is a 22., then take the 22. I would choose a SKS as my main rifle with a 22. pistol as my backup.I would find a floppy nylon holster for the 22.

With your parents not being preppers, how do they feel about self defence and arming yourself?

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you a... "nevermind"... Why do you think I had replied the way I did?

I tell ya what squirt, I fixed it for ya to directly reflect your attitude.

I see ya got this huge arsenal of fictitious weapons. So you make the decision to use the smallest, least reliable one for SHTF survival. I couldn't agree more with your decision.

Please use Aquilla Super Colibri ammunition in all defensive situations. PLEASE be cautious though, it does turn any .22 pistol into a silenced ninja death ray. Thats right folks, a real ninja death ray!! end / sarcasam
Wow. Just wow, I am in awe by the sheer rudeness and ignorance of your post.

I'm going to try my best to keep my head here. It'll be hard though.

How dare you say that I made the "desision" to use the .22lr! I said at the beggining that if I could have something else, I would, but that the Browning Buckmark is all i'll have for a while!

I have every one of those guns, and If you truly want proof, then i'll take pictures.

I'm sorry for asking you to read the whole post. I wasn't trying to single you out or even emphasize "PLEASE", and I can see how my request could be misunderstood as being rude. But you have NO RIGHT to make such assumptions about me.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Wow. Just wow, I am in awe by the sheer rudeness and ignorance of your post.

I'm going to try my best to keep my head here. It'll be hard though.

How dare you say that I made the "desision" to use the .22lr! I said at the beggining that if I could have something else, I would, but that the Browning Buckmark is all i'll have for a while!

I have every one of those guns, and If you truly want proof, then i'll take pictures.

I'm sorry for asking you to read the whole post. I wasn't trying to single you out or even emphasize "PLEASE", and I can see how my request could be misunderstood as being rude. But you have NO RIGHT to make such assumptions about me.
this is a great example of your attitude....

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
What's with all the dramas?

Serious, don't any of you guys remember being 13?

I know I was a bit brash, hot-headed and so on, so give the kid a break. At least he's here, trying to learn what to do to protect himself and his family, instead of planted in front of the T.V. playing video games, or out thuggin' in the streets.

Plus, my grandpa always told me "It's always better to be a smartass than a dumbass"

Just my $.02

·
14 year old libertarian
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since some people can be jerks,

I only have 2 long guns, my Savage 64 22. semi-auto and my Savage 24f double barrel.

IF SHTF, I will choose my 22. as my main weapon, of course I been extremely fortunate with having seasonal jobs, which might allow me to get a Berreta Px4 as a side arm. If all you have is a 22., then take the 22. I would choose a SKS as my main rifle with a 22. pistol as my backup.I would find a floppy nylon holster for the 22.

With your parents not being preppers, how do they feel about self defence and arming yourself?
I want to thank you sincerely for not being a jerk.

My Dad has a good leather Buscheimer for the Buckmark.

My parents know what i'm doing, and to an extent why i'm doing it.
But they just don't understand.
They don't understand why we need a shorter barrel for the 870, a semi auto rifle with high capacity, a .357 Magnum revolver, a membership at the range, 2-3 days of practice each week, 1000's of rounds of ammo. And a 13year old's voice doesn't have much authority.

My mom is more against it than my dad.

We're a lower-middle class family.

My dad works at a factory 4 days and is then off 4 days, abut gets laid off often. I worry what we'll do if he loses his job, as he's our main source of income. My mom works at a local ma-and-pop grochery store/diner for maybe a dollar or two over minimum wage.

My dad never even sees his paycheck.

Like you, we just can't afford to prep that much.

Nice to see a reasonable non-gun-snob or tacticool freak that also has limited funds.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts