Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course BTTF II is on TV, and i'm watching the part where they go forward into the alternate 1985, and I was thinking this could be a good look at the future overall.

In the movie, the streets are littered with abandoned cars, the houses look abandoned, with bars on windows, overgrown yards, ect...

They even show some police cars among the wreckage.

They also indicate some people are trying to live normal lives, but have a high state of security (Mr Strickland), and overall trying to deal with a community of unrest.

Could this be a snapshot of the future? Where only if your rich and living in a gated community are things "normal" for you.. a time where a government and police force exsist, but never can help you, of if they do show up its way too late.

I've always felt there wouldn't be a total collapse of everything, but a collapse just enough that things can't return to normal.

I realize there are dozens of movies that show different futures, but this one seemed a bit more plausable...your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if we have anyone on here from Detroit who could give us a first hand account...I looked at the pics posted on here of the abandoned buildings in Detroit and everyone i showed was amazed at them...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I wonder if I can go back in time and not look at this thread.... :D:

Just joking of course, haven't come across a bad thread yet... :taped:

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
To me, it is all about the dynamics of "the collapse." It really will depend on what the tipping point is and how it is manipulated. It could be quick (and very ugly) or very very slow and the nastinest is delayed for a long time.

For the past 3 or so years I've been asking myself: how, when, what if, etc. I've finally concluded this:

The average American quality of life will diminish in my lifetime. I will continue to be more and more persecuted as a God-fearing, conservative, gun-owner. All I can do is prepare for bumpy times ahead, no matter what flavor the downfall is.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
Actually that alternate 1985 was pretty close to what could happen anywhere that the people loose control of their government. Look at Syria today, they are using tanks and gunboats to shell their' own cities. Look at Nazi Germany rounding up their' own citizens and shipping them off to Death Camps. Look at Detroit or L.A.

·
Blessed
631 Posts
In short yes i think it does resemble the present and the future.

On a lighter side i want to a almanac like they had so i can win money on sports. One that goes from now for another 50 years. The one in the movie ended in 2000. Great movie and definitely resembles what our present(parts of the country/world) and future could look like.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wonder if we have anyone on here from Detroit who could give us a first hand account...I looked at the pics posted on here of the abandoned buildings in Detroit and everyone i showed was amazed at them...
I live 50 miles from Detroit. My mother has to go there for business every week, so she now has a CCW permit and handgun. It is definitely as bad as the pictures show.

Take a look at these fine homes for sale.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Detroit_MI/price-100-5000#/sortby-1

Scroll down past the ads. There are 663 properties on Realtor.com under $5000.

And a lot that aren't listed because they aren't even worth listing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I live about 8 miles from downtown Detroit. I am in Downtown Detroit at least twice a week and have friends that live in areas that many people wont even drive through.

That being said, people on the outside probably have too negative of a look on Detroit. Act like you've been there and no one will bother you.

Yes parts of the city are completely destroyed, and will never come back in my lifetime; however there are some awesome areas in the city as well.

It's the people of the city that are getting too far gone, not the city itself.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I live about 8 miles from downtown Detroit. I am in Downtown Detroit at least twice a week and have friends that live in areas that many people wont even drive through.

That being said, people on the outside probably have too negative of a look on Detroit. Act like you've been there and no one will bother you.

Yes parts of the city are completely destroyed, and will never come back in my lifetime; however there are some awesome areas in the city as well.

It's the people of the city that are getting too far gone, not the city itself.
You are right that there are still some nice areas in Detroit. But unfortunately, we have to drive through some bad areas to get to them. I don't like going there anymore.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I live 50 miles from Detroit. My mother has to go there for business every week, so she now has a CCW permit and handgun. It is definitely as bad as the pictures show.

Take a look at these fine homes for sale.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Detroit_MI/price-100-5000#/sortby-1

Scroll down past the ads. There are 663 properties on Realtor.com under $5000.

And a lot that aren't listed because they aren't even worth listing.
Wow. From the looks of it, most of them aren't even worth the $500 listing price. They're falling apart, and the buyer has to assume all water, utility, and tax bills currently against the place. That could be 10's of thousands for each of those homes, many of which look like they should be condemned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts