Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for quite awhile, just reading and enjoying the conversation. Just signed up the other day, don't know how much I could contribute as of now, being a newbie.

I just wanted to say hello, and thank everyone for their contributions to this fine site. Also thanks to the creators of Survivalist Boards.

I've only been prepping since January, and I’m happy to say my wife is also on board. We’ve been picking up items on a weekly basis and have about 6 months worth of food and water if we ration our supplies. We also have 4 cats to prep for, and have about 6 months of food and various supplies for them.

I think we’ve done pretty well so far. Although there is always room for improvement and more stock up.

Well, back to reading. :thumb:

SKSGUY

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

Al

Reactions: SSGNasty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?
BOL will be at home now (we just purchased another home). Country living, like minded neighbors (one of my neighbors and good friend is a LEO for our township).

No garden at the new place yet. My mother is an avid gardener and canner so I've learned a few things over the years from her. We do have about 6 months food and water (I hope) stored. New house has a well w/hand pump.

Don't reload. Just picked up some used reload equipment (Lee) in good shape, but need to learn how to use it safely. We have a good supply of ammo and firearms. We both have our LTCF and go out to the range at least once every few weeks.

Permaculture and wild foods are items that we need to learn more about.

I think we could be pretty self-sufficient. We're both handy when it comes to maintenance around the house. Between the two of us, we tackle any issue that comes up. You can save a bunch of cash by learning how to fix what's broken. With some of that money we save I always buy extra parts for future needs.

We can hunt, fish, clean and prepare.

We've been using a woodstove for years to heat the house, cook, and heat water. Last couple of years we've been buying the fire wood, but have all the hand tools needed to cut and split (used to do it that way when I had a place to get free wood).

We've lived without before. Spent a year living out of our car back in the 80's. Spent several years learning camp living through Civil War reenacting.

All in all, we've got a long way to go, but I think it's a good start.

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
Welcome from Oregon.

Click here​
to see Oregon's group page.​

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Welcome from NC