Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Just a Squirrel
231 Posts
TVP is usually, though not always, made of wheat gluten, so we celiacs can't touch it. A lot of folks are gluten sensitive and don't know it -- this plus the soy issues keeps TVP a no-no on my list.

·
Registered
273 Posts
IMO: If it's nutritious, cheap and has a long shelf/storage life, buy it. If you get hungry, you'll eat it.

When you havent eaten in a few days, your shoelaces will start to sound like a tasty meal. Everyone that insists you have to store what you like, may not have ever been truly hungry.

I store whatever is on sale and has a long shelf life. If 10 years down the road, i have to throw away 20 cans of somthing i dont like that i got on sale for .25 a can, then so be it.
On the other hand if 3 years from now, somthing has gone seriously wrong, im not gonna give a **** if those cans contain turnips or a hot philly cheese steak sammich with french fries and a mountain dew.

My .02, whatever thats worth nowadays.

·
I'd rather be Jeeping...
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I completely agree that when you're truly hungry you'll eat anything, but, given a choice of eating something I like and something I dislike, I'll choose something I like every time. Since I have a choice of what to store, why wouldn't I store something I like? It's going to be miserable enough in a true SHTF situation without having to eat something I don't like. Might as well try to make it as pleasant as possible by storing food my taste buds don't reject. Besides, a lot of surviving is a head game and good food boosts moral, bad food brings you down.

~JohnP

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love TVP, I have it in my BOB and at my bug out home. I've eaten it for years, it travels well, is easy to prepare and full of protein. A great great food.
Mjar:)

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
do you know if any retail grocery stores carry TVP? I havent seen it at my local whole foods or trader joes.
You can get it in health food stores. Bob's Red Mill brand is what my local health food store carries. Might also find it in your local grocery store if you're lucky.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Another great use for TVP is to add it to your regular food to extend it a bit. For example, add 1/2 - 1 cup of TVP in with your ground beef or ground turkey and you'll have a lot more food for a fraction of the price. Good way to stretch those dollars in a shaky economy.

·
I have control issues
6,463 Posts
Between Hashimoto's and possible endometriosis, soy is an absolute no-no for me, so NO TVP here.

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
4,505 Posts
You got SPAM'd in a necro thread...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts