Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I'd rather be Jeeping...
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried TVF meat substitute? I've seen it unflavored or flavored like beef, chicken, or ham. It's pretty cheap, about $50 for 6 #10 cans, has a shelf life of 10+ years. Just wondering if it's any good?

~JohnP

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Yes, I have used it. I use it in stews and chilli in place of meat or in addition to some chicken for added protein. I have no problem with it. YMMV. I do suggest buying a small amount from your local health food store and trying it out in various recipes before buying a case of #10 cans though.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Soy is really high on the list of things people can have food allergies to, so be aware of that.

I prefer beans, canned meats, powdered eggs and other protein sources myself.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Yes, I am vegetarian and have been pescatarian for a while. It's not bad when cooked in other stuff, like a stir fry. IMO easier to prep with beans though.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Soy is really high on the list of things people can have food allergies to, so be aware of that.

I prefer beans, canned meats, powdered eggs and other protein sources myself.
Soy vegetable protein (SVP) and textured vegetable protein (TVP) are two different things. One has soy and one does not. The OP was talking about TVP so I answered based on that, not on SVP.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
People with hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) should NOT eat any soy products, according to what my doctor told me. :(
Once again, TVP is not made with soy. SVP, a similar product, is made with soy. You can safely ingest TVP without fear.:thumb:

That being said, women who are pregnant with a male fetus should not have much soy due to a rare but possible birth defect causing the urethra to be mal-formed.

(I spent many years (18) as a vegetarian and do not eat any mammals currently so I did a lot of research in nutrition and specifically vegetarian nutrition.)

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Hmmm... I went and looked and it seems that I was wrong and TVP and TSP or SVP all have soy. Go figure. Learn something new every day :p

·
Plays best, alone
5,019 Posts
I would suggest trying it in smaller portion than #10 cans first. I have found it to be good used in small amounts (portion sizes) Flakes in stews or soups. Did not like the replacment item for chicken breast, NOT even close in taste or texture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
FWIW, Bac-O's and most 'bacon-flavored bits' on most salad bars are just bacon-flavored TVP. Some are genuine bacon, but most are tvp; so most folks have had tvp without even realizing it.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
My 12-year-old is a vegetarian, so cooking meals is a constant challenge. Just today I made her vegetarian chicken soup with the chicken-flavored TVP. It was surprisingly good. Flavored TVP is also good just to munch on.

·
Isolated Smart Arse Inc
30 Posts
I've got about 20kg of Whey 90% protein isolate. Cost me about $450 (300USD), from a bulk food warehouse, about 20% of the cost of the fancy name brand stuff.

I bought it as I worked it out to be the cheapest source of protein $/kg.

Makes a great smoothie with a bit of low fat milk and a banana.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Taco TVP is the *best*!

If you've never tried the ADM Taco TVP, you're missing out! It's so good, I eat it like cereal in a bowl.

You can sample it at a reasonable price at http://www.internet-grocer.net/2-half.htm

or, get it as part of a dehydrated foods sample pack at
http://www.internet-grocer.net/dehydrtd.htm

You'll be most disappointed by the beef flavored TVP. The chicken flavored is OK, The BBQ and other flavors are pretty good ... but the Taco flavored is absolutely delicious!

Bruce

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
They wanted more than $15.00 for the shipping of a #10 can of dehydrated food. Unbelievable! I'll bet it doesn't cost them more than $5.00 from the post office to ship such a low-weight item. It only contained sample packages of their dehydrated food line. I can't imagine that the can could weigh more than 1.5 pounds.

I'll stick with Honeyville Grains. They charge less than $5.00 shipping per order no matter how much you order from them. Needless to say, Internet Grocer won't be getting my business.

·
I'd rather be Jeeping...
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
+1 for Honeyville Grains. :thumb::thumb: I like their frequent discount codes, too. Good folks.

~JohnP

1 - 20 of 33 Posts