Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wife and I are planning a move soon, and we want to leave FL. Our first thought was TN or KY. but the more I think about it, the more i am liking Texas. I have never been west of Louisiana and I know almost nothing about Texas except that everyone from the state seems to be ALL about it.... if Texas has that much love from its citizens, they must be doing something right, right? and The property there is as beautiful as i have seen. anyway, i am doing my own research on the states housing and job markets. just curious if anyone has any advice for me.....places to stay away from? good places to live? any other pros or cons you can think of. I have to get out of FL, i cannot take it any longer, and i have always wanted to "go west". we have family in TX so obviously we will be going ahead of time to check everything out in person to make a decision, i am just trying to get a jump on it.

·
I FEAR COWARDS MOST
6,153 Posts
HMMM, Walcott...where to begin???

At the moment it is hot...hotter than I can ever remember and we've been here steady since '75.
There is a dry line that starts right around I-35...west is dry, anything east is more wet. The pineywoods and thickets also start just east of I-35.

I like central Texas...rolling hills, live oaks, more open than the Pineywoods. Plenty of Deer, Turkey, Pigs etc. If you are a hunter.
There are alot of lakes in the area that offer great Striper and Black Bass fishing along with Catfish etc. The coast is a good drive from us but when we go, Port Aransas has some great offshore fishing.

Land is still cheap around here and it gets cheaper still as you move west. Plenty of great towns for employment and entertainment (mostly along the I-35 corridor)...lived in DFW for four years...all we miss are the restaurants. :)

Plenty to see and do if you are willing to drive...cost of living is low...land is cheap and the people are most often friendly farther west.

I like it here...I just wish it would rain every once in awhile. :xeye:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What kind of place are you looking for? Apartment, ranch, something in between? What do you like to do? What do you do for income? Do you garden, raise animals, ride ATVs? Do you want to?

Without knowing any of this it is hard to pick a place for you. You can find anything you like here, you just have to know what you want.

Like obama said, Texas is my favorite of the 57 states. ;)

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are your reasons for wanting to leave Fl so bad? Texas is beautiful and one of a kind.:thumb:
I have been in FL my entire life, I am scared it is going to sink or flood tsunami style. LOL. paranoia. it is mostly for a change of pace and environment, not to mention getting away from everyone i ever knew. i love my family, and i will visit them, but everyone else can suck it. I am just done with the state. fed up if you will. we are the most northern southern state EVER. to many idiots and not enough ammo. I dont frequent the theme parks. land is crazy expensive, the deer are dog sized, everyone is rude, I get cussed at for calling people sir or ma'am, i never thought i would get yelled at for being respectful, but it happens here all the time. i dont feel like anyone in Texas would mind me saying Sir or Ma'am........ etc etc the list goes on. they are all small things, but they add up enough. I guess maybe the grass is greener?

What kind of place are you looking for? Apartment, ranch, something in between? What do you like to do? What do you do for income? Do you garden, raise animals, ride ATVs? Do you want to?

Without knowing any of this it is hard to pick a place for you. You can find anything you like here, you just have to know what you want.

Like obama said, Texas is my favorite of the 57 states. ;)
a ranch/small farm type thing.no apartments or city living. basically i like to shoot guns and prep like an SOB. LOL so, as far as hobbies go, i am easy. id like to do some gardening. id like to hunt my property, maybe some horses and a few farm animals. as for income. here in FL i am a police officer, and a gun salesmen, and i do sign work..........I would like to get out of those lines of work and completly start a new eventually, i want more time for my family instead of working my self dawn to dusk and never seeing my little girl. so we have decided to try to live as self sustaining as possible. we have been doing the same here, just not as easy to do when you dont own your house or the property it is on. so we are looking at this as a chance to "start over", if you will,some where new.

Rugers, you make me wish i could move tomorrow, i will look into central Texas because it sounds like what i am looking for. DRY sounds scary to me. LOL here in FL you cannot move without finding water.

I think Texas would like me,and I think i would like Texas, so I am going to go get those passports and applications checked out.:thumb:

·
I FEAR COWARDS MOST
6,153 Posts
Well Walcott.....you should make a trip out here in october for my gig and I will certainly take the time to show you around...let you get a feel for the place. :thumb:

·
Registered
725 Posts
You certainly have the right idea about TX. We Texans think a lot of our state. Central and/or East Texas would be nice for you. I'm a country guy, so I would stay away from the big cities, but there are multitudes of smaller cities and towns.

If you can say, "y'all", and spell it correctly - then WELCOME TO TEXAS!! :D:

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You certainly have the right idea about TX. We Texans think a lot of our state. Central and/or East Texas would be nice for you. I'm a country guy, so I would stay away from the big cities, but there are multitudes of smaller cities and towns.

If you can say, "y'all", and spell it correctly - then WELCOME TO TEXAS!! :D:
Thats one of the things. I am not proud to be a Floridian, I need to live in a place I can think highly of, and I have never heard an ill word about Texas (sept from them liberal nose pickers that dont like Capital punishment) I mean for god sake, Texas has how many songs written about it? And yes, i am an avid user of "Y'all" and all other country speak, I own a cowboy hat, and more guns than i can shoot at once, and im the friendliest SOB you ever met( till you disrespect my wife.:mad:) I feel out of place in Fl, and i think Texas just may be the missing piece to my puzzle.

·
Emperor In Exile
11,757 Posts
Walcott East Texas is suffering from the heat and drought horribly right now..My garden usually putting out enough food that we do not need a store is DEAD....

Usually East Texas is greener and we have lots of REAL WOODS and wildlife and edibles.... Job market not that great but depends on your skillset, Prices again depending on where you go can compare to some larger cities , but overall a heck of a lot cheaper than FLA.

Around here you can pick up a nice house with plenty of land for what you would pay for a decent house say in the Palm Bay Melbourne area of Fla.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Walcott East Texas is suffering from the heat and drought horribly right now..My garden usually putting out enough food that we do not need a store is DEAD....

Usually East Texas is greener and we have lots of REAL WOODS and wildlife and edibles.... Job market not that great but depends on your skillset, Prices again depending on where you go can compare to some larger cities , but overall a heck of a lot cheaper than FLA.

Around here you can pick up a nice house with plenty of land for what you would pay for a decent house say in the Palm Bay Melbourne area of Fla.
The house prices here are insane...and if you want property, you can forget it. it costs 300,000 dollars to live 3 feet from your neighbors. I have been looking on "landandfarm.com" and have found a lot of decent stuff that fits my price range and needs. just need to try to secure a Job there as well.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
It depends on your definition of "moderate". 70% humidity and a heat index of 106 gets old quick in the summer, but he's probably used to it in Florida. I'm stuck east of IH 35 right now, but I'd prefer to be west of it.
My humidity is about 45% average of course it's hot a hell right now. I know the further east you go the higher the humidity i have relative's in Tyler and I can't stand it there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts