Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to solve the $1200+ deer lease issue? It seems that everyone wants some outrageous amount to hunt their land. $1200 is on the cheap side of things.

I do not hunt for sport, only for food. In fact, I do not enjoy hunting but do it out of necessity. It is not cost effective to pay $1200 or more for 200± lbs of deer meat. I can go the the store and purchase processed cow for much less.

The last time I hunted E. Texas public land, I was taken aback by the people I met - dueling banjos and "Squeal like a pig," were things going through my head at some of the folks I came across in the woods. I do not say this lightly, as my father and myself always felt the need to stay on guard. Not to mention, I did not have any luck finding any deer, much less having the opportunity to take a shot.

Any ideas where one can hunt inexpensively and where there are actually deer? BTW, both of those need to be in the same place ;) Also, I have no problem taking a long shot if it is a more open and exposed location.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Poach, buy property, or make friends with someone that owns acreage. Not much we can do these days, its too popular of a sport.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
Hunting in the texas area is becoming a big business. You need to make connections with someone who has access to some private land and who is like minded as some of us in this forum. Keeping cost down to hunt deer can really be a tough thing to do. Good luck to you.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
Sounds like you were in Houston County around Crockett. Lots of public land and also International Paper land ( Planted Timber plantations). Lots of crazes in that area for sure.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
The easy solution is get a bow and learn to bow hunt. You can find small areas that are public and often a short drive from urban centers and fill your tag and almost always do it with little or no compition. I nailed a huge 8 pointer that was just short of the Boone and Crocket minimum score for the books within eye shot of a 5 million dollar home in a rich and shameless gated comunity that was only half developed in Grapevine Texas last year! The cost was free as I worked security there and I scored on it just minutes after work still in uniform!!! Being a Bow Hunter has given me a lot of oppertunities to hunt that I otherwise couldnt have taken advantage of as a gun hunter.

If you Bow Hunt Haggerman near Sherman Texas is a wildlife refuge where the cost to hunt is minimal and there are more than a few deer to shoot at bow ranges if your half decent with noise and scent displine. You will see a few others out but not many as its bow only there due to its close proximity to the Highway. But none the less its a pretty large and very well professionally managed chunk of realstate.

Just something to maybe consider...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts