Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I just removed any and all posts that mentioned, quoted, or referenced "Suicide Cords" for Illegally hooking up a generator. The Survivalist Boards Does not recommend ANY generator connection that is not in compliance with Local, State and National Electrical Codes.

ANY further reference too, description on how to or how not to illegally set up a "Suicide Cord" will not be tolerated.
Thank you.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,023 Posts
I don't understand why people are so inconvenienced by extension cords. Or portable generators for that matter.
I have a portable generator, and extension cords. My issue is that in order to route the cord to run the refrigerator and freezer, I have to go through the back door, leaving the door cracked open. The house was built with no operable windows in that section. I am seriously looking at one of the kits that runs through the wall and gives you 6 outlets. Transfer switch would be better, but too pricey and complicated for the way this house was wired.

Will need to build a deck in the back to keep the genny out of flood water, and provide a way to lock it down, but that is a minor thing.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
I have a portable generator, and extension cords. My issue is that in order to route the cord to run the refrigerator and freezer, I have to go through the back door, leaving the door cracked open. The house was built with no operable windows in that section. I am seriously looking at one of the kits that runs through the wall and gives you 6 outlets. Transfer switch would be better, but too pricey and complicated for the way this house was wired.

Will need to build a deck in the back to keep the genny out of flood water, and provide a way to lock it down, but that is a minor thing.
Gennies give off a lot of CO, (and noise). I would try to keep the thing at least 20 feet from the house, or whatever is recommended.
A noise cover is a good idea anyway, so if you need to shed rain, I would incorporate both functions. Building like a Tee Pee from Plywood seems the best and easiest arrangement IMHO. If flooding is a concern, set it all up on some cement blocks perhaps?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Not cheap, but there is another option.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,023 Posts
Gennies give off a lot of CO, (and noise). I would try to keep the thing at least 20 feet from the house, or whatever is recommended.
A noise cover is a good idea anyway, so if you need to shed rain, I would incorporate both functions. Building like a Tee Pee from Plywood seems the best and easiest arrangement IMHO. If flooding is a concern, set it all up on some cement blocks perhaps?
With the flooding after Harvey as a guide, I need to lift it about 30" if it is in the back. Cement block would work for the front, but then there is the security issue.

CO and noise is another reason to have something that will penetrate a wall as opposed to leaving a window or door cracked open.

I suppose I could cut a plywood insert for a window in the front, then build a sound insulating box to put over the unit. Many thing to consider which is inhibiting my ability to make a plan..... I'll get it figured out, hopefully before hurricane season.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
With the flooding after Harvey as a guide, I need to lift it about 30" if it is in the back. Cement block would work for the front, but then there is the security issue.

CO and noise is another reason to have something that will penetrate a wall as opposed to leaving a window or door cracked open.

I suppose I could cut a plywood insert for a window in the front, then build a sound insulating box to put over the unit. Many thing to consider which is inhibiting my ability to make a plan..... I'll get it figured out, hopefully before hurricane season.
You don't need a generator, you need an ark!

·
Registered
98 Posts
A pool noodle helped with my window cord. Now I have a flat square piece of foam from an old boat fender, it's basically the same thing but flat.

These mudroom windows are too small for anyone to crawl through but it's irrelevant since I have a big doggie door in that same room. When I lock up for the night I close the door of the mudroom that goes into the house.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts