Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Come on now, that switch would have been $200 bucks following the HF $200 gen down the drain.
It doesn't matter how much you pay for a generator. What matters is connecting and using it safely. A $200 HF generator will kill you or a family member the same as a $20,000 generator if connecting one improperly. I merely suggested a safe, legal way to connect a generator to your house.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
If I was buying a generator now, I would look seriously at the HF Predator Inverter series.
Basically a Honda knockoff as I understand. Fairly lightweight, quiet, reliable, and puts out sine wave power.
They have had a lot of favorable review from owners.
The price reflects this popularity however.

Here is a diesel for grins, per the previous comments.
$5000 and you need a forklift or a crane to move it. And it has less output than my Northern Tools gasser.
518 lbs, no wheels.
It is liquid cooled, so quieter at 66 dB.
Not sure if they made a mistake on fuel consumption rate. At half load it will run .45 hours/tank, which seems wrong. Maybe they meant .45 days per tank.

You can see it has a big battery on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know why there is a grid under my post. I also meant to submit it earlier but hit a grid maker instead.

On of the reasons I waited to get a generator is because I didn't have room to store it and what I needed to maintain it.

I made room and got a generator a few years ago. A predator 3500. I have spare spark plugs, air filter, spark arrestor, stabilizer, tools needed, plug adapters needed, manuals and maintenance log in a big rubbermaid container.

I keep it in the mudroom and simply roll it out into the open patio when I use it. I prop a large piece of plywood on my patio table and the other side on a sawhorse when we need to run it in the rain.

I run the cord through the mudroom window through a pool noodle, so the window stays closed and sealed. I have a doggie door in that door so it's not really an air tight room, I make sure the exaust is far enough away.

The mudroom leads into the den then the kitchen, it's really easy to plug in my fridge and freezers and use the TV. But I've learned that cable is out if the storm is bad enough, that's how it was for Mathew.

I have added an antenna to one tv in the spare bedroom, I'm going to get another.

I can either run a cord down the hall, or through a bedroom window, that also is by the patio.

I've just done without before so having a generator is living high on the hog for us. I used to get all excited and break out my camping stuff during outages but now I've added another freezer and have too much food to risk losing at a time when you may not be able to get what you want in the store.

So now I have a generator. Actually 2, I got a wen 2000 when they were on sale. I was running the predator every 2 months but now I run them at least once a month. I keep stabilized non-corn gas and rotate it into the vehicles before the year is up.

This is a survival forum. Most things you need to survive are thing like what happened in Texas. Or a break in the supply line, like we've seen with the virus. Of havock from rioters.

You know what we likely will never experience? A red dawn scenerio like we've been feverishly prepping for, for the past 20 years or so.

We live in unprecedented times. We need to rethink what is most likely to happen and try to deal with that. I think the current hysteria over the usage of fossil fuels and the odd point of view that austerity is morally superior than being technologically advanced will lead to infrastructure problems. And hyperinflation.

I find it bewildering that we could send men to the moon using slide rules, yet our infrastructure is so undependable.

We should be further than we are and so-called green energy is about power, not the planet.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I used a 2 mil clear painter's tarp, a Titan space blanket and some paracord from a get home bag to build a super shelter in my livingroom in front of the gas log fireplace.
The replacement generator valves are on order.

Hey, I survived and kept my pipes from freezing and had lights and cell phone throughout. I just didn't think 3 damn generators would all have a leaky fuel valve. I'm starting to get a low opinion of Chinese quality. :)

I can rebuild or clean out a carb pretty fast, almost with my eyes closed. This is usually the issue. Never thought it would be a simple on/off valve that would be the issue.

·
Registered
876 Posts
We can actually do without a generator burning up stored gas. The gen just makes it a tad easier, and less danger of loosing frozen food. And gives us the internet back.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
If I was buying a generator now, I would look seriously at the HF Predator Inverter series.
Basically a Honda knockoff as I understand. Fairly lightweight, quiet, reliable, and puts out sine wave power.
They have had a lot of favorable review from owners.
The price reflects this popularity however.

Here is a diesel for grins, per the previous comments.
$5000 and you need a forklift or a crane to move it. And it has less output than my Northern Tools gasser.
518 lbs, no wheels.
It is liquid cooled, so quieter at 66 dB.
Not sure if they made a mistake on fuel consumption rate. At half load it will run .45 hours/tank, which seems wrong. Maybe they meant .45 days per tank.

You can see it has a big battery on it.
I just bought one of those Kubota GL7000 units for backing up small residential sewer pump stations. I put it on a trailer and will get an additional 15 gallon fuel tank mounted. This will be the primary tank with the factory 7.4 gallon tank as reserve. They burn .69 gallons of fuel per hour at 100% load and .45 gallons per hour at 50% load. These will easily go 15,000+ operating hours. Kubota Lowboy II Compact & Quiet Diesel Generator - GL7000 | Absolute Generators

The battery is smaller than a yard tractor battery by the way.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I used a 2 mil clear painter's tarp, a Titan space blanket and some paracord from a get home bag to build a super shelter in my livingroom in front of the gas log fireplace.
The replacement generator valves are on order.

Hey, I survived and kept my pipes from freezing and had lights and cell phone throughout. I just didn't think 3 damn generators would all have a leaky fuel valve. I'm starting to get a low opinion of Chinese quality. :)
And yet...you suggest a Harbor Freight...Chinese inverter generator?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
And yet...you suggest a Harbor Freight...Chinese inverter generator?
Well, if you can afford a Honda, by all means.
The HF unit has excellent reviews. It is possible to get better quality from China, but they have to run the factory with Expats in charge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
looking into building a solar generator for silent gas free operation. Aka panels, inverter, battery and charge controller. Probably all fron china except the battery

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
We can actually do without a generator burning up stored gas. The gen just makes it a tad easier, and less danger of loosing frozen food. And gives us the internet back.
I guess it depends on how much refrigerated food you have. We have 2 refrigerators and a freezer along with a well pump. I don't want to lose food and do need water.

Generators are cheap insurance. I've purchased several after hurricane season for $200 or less. One new Generac 7500 watt with idle down and pressure lube system from the original owner, bought new, 8 years old but never used for $200. I've also bought two 2000 watt inverter units...one new Champion for $180...one used A-ipower with 5 hours on it for $175.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Well, if you can afford a Honda, by all means.
The HF unit has excellent reviews. It is possible to get better quality from China, but they have to run the factory with Expats in charge.
I have no problem with Harbor Freight generators. You made a comment about low Chinese quality...not me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't understand why people are so inconvenienced by extension cords. Or portable generators for that matter. I've seen posts (not necessarily here but maybe) where people do without because they only want the perfect backup. They only want a whole house generator (deciding this after the first outage in their life) or will only run one through a panel or suicide cord.

Maybe it's the way my house is configured but running a cord is pretty easy for us. First cord goes from generator to mudroom and chest freezer, second goes from that cord to the den and kitchen.

I guess I've done with so much less for so long now that I have a generator and can power nice things I feel rich.

We didn't have tv during the hurricane a few years ago because cable went out and it didn't occur to me to use an antenna. I didn't think they would work well but I got one for the spare bedroom and was amazed.

I'm going to get one for the den TV. I do without AC because I've lived without it before, I can always get a window unit. The temps were pleasant during the hurricane so the fan was all we needed.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I don't understand why people are so inconvenienced by extension cords. Or portable generators for that matter. I've seen posts (not necessarily here but maybe) where people do without because they only want the perfect backup. They only want a whole house generator (deciding this after the first outage in their life) or will only run one through a panel or suicide cord.

Maybe it's the way my house is configured but running a cord is pretty easy for us. First cord goes from generator to mudroom and chest freezer, second goes from that cord to the den and kitchen.

I guess I've done with so much less for so long now that I have a generator and can power nice things I feel rich.

We didn't have tv during the hurricane a few years ago because cable went out and it didn't occur to me to use an antenna. I didn't think they would work well but I got one for the spare bedroom and was amazed.

I'm going to get one for the den TV. I do without AC because I've lived without it before, I can always get a window unit. The temps were pleasant during the hurricane so the fan was all we needed.
Take a look on Facebook marketplace for like new window A/C units being sold during the winter months. I've seen 5000 BTU units for $50. I ran one of these on a 2000 watt inverter generator and the genny never went above idle. This is good for a bedroom. Just chain the jenny down before going to sleep or it may get stolen.

·
Super Moderator
1,825 Posts
I just removed any and all posts that mentioned, quoted, or referenced "Suicide Cords" for Illegally hooking up a generator. The Survivalist Boards Does not recommend ANY generator connection that is not in compliance with Local, State and National Electrical Codes.

ANY further reference too, description on how to or how not to illegally set up a "Suicide Cord" will not be tolerated.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts