Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Tevas, I wear them every day. My last pair lasted more than 10 years. But I can't have had my new pair for more than one or two years, and I just found a big crack in the bottom of one of them, across the part where the foot bends. (They're also worn down quite a bit in that place.. it may be from living in the city, I never used to do nearly as much walking on pavement as I do at the moment..)
What can I do to fix it? My room mate suggested latex, but I've never used it before. Anyone have experience with it? Or know of another adhesive or rubber substance that's durable and will stay flexible when it dries?
Or I suppose I could take it to a shoe repair place or send it in to Teva, but I'd like to know if there is a way I can fix it myself.

I am sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this thread. I'm thinking it's rather hiking-related..

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I love my Tevas, I wear them every day. My last pair lasted more than 10 years. But I can't have had my new pair for more than one or two years, and I just found a big crack in the bottom of one of them, across the part where the foot bends. (They're also worn down quite a bit in that place.. it may be from living in the city, I never used to do nearly as much walking on pavement as I do at the moment..)
What can I do to fix it? My room mate suggested latex, but I've never used it before. Anyone have experience with it? Or know of another adhesive or rubber substance that's durable and will stay flexible when it dries?
Or I suppose I could take it to a shoe repair place or send it in to Teva, but I'd like to know if there is a way I can fix it myself.

I am sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this thread. I'm thinking it's rather hiking-related..
Blue RTV. You can find it in any auto parts store. Slap it on, let it cure overnight, you are good to go!:thumb:

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
*looks it up* Ooooh, thanks, I haven't heard of that before. It looks like there are many colors/types. Why would the blue be better than, say, the clear?

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
All colors are the same, you could also use latex caulk (cheaper than the blue stuff)-comes in clear, white, brown, black..... I used latex caulk in the bottom of my sons hiking boots-kepy his feet dry and is wtill flexible.

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I got the blue (wasn't very expensive) and it seems to be holding up so far!

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
G Damn you Prof, ya beat me to it...
Go to any shoe department and buy a tube of ShoeGoo. Give that a try, and if ya gotta hang em up, take Cecil's advice and try out a pair of Chacos. What's so special you ask? Well for one thing they are the ONLY pair of flip flops I have owned with a vibram sole and are REPAIRED or RESOLED FOR FREE.
That is all...OVER.

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried Chacos. They weren't as comfortable, my feet got soaked if there was ANY water on the ground, (it was freakin supernatural) and they fell apart within 2 years, and not just on the sole. I wasn't sad to get rid of them. D: (This was back when I had way more faith in Tevas, but....;;;; )

But if this blue stuff doesn't last, I'll try that ShoeGoo, thanks for the suggestion. :3

Oh yeah, what do you guys think of Keens? I haven't tried them.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I tried Chacos. They weren't as comfortable, my feet got soaked if there was ANY water on the ground, (it was freakin supernatural) and they fell apart within 2 years, and not just on the sole. I wasn't sad to get rid of them. D: (This was back when I had way more faith in Tevas, but....;;;; )

But if this blue stuff doesn't last, I'll try that ShoeGoo, thanks for the suggestion. :3

Oh yeah, what do you guys think of Keens? I haven't tried them.
The Prof owns a couple pair and he swears by them...I was with him at REI when, after wearing out a pair was trying to replace them with the same style/color. Keen folks are neurotic about those shoes, and if you shoot him a message I am sure he will tell you all about them. Really tough, comfortable and light from what I gather; my next pair of light hiking shoe is probably going to be Keens.

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about Keen sandals? Or those new shoe/sandal things? Anyone tried them?

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
Sandals.

I've also got a pair of these:

Newport H2's.

Fantastic sandal. Also indestructo! Had 'em in the ocean, rivers, lakes, completely submerged for 8 hrs. No prob with the hold up of the shoe. And very comfortable. Can wear with socks, without. Whatever. Highly rec these as well!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts