Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all goes well I would like to make this a monthly event. I will be choosing one item from www.EDCdepot.com and requesting 3 people to review it. The first 3 people to reply to this thread will be reviewers. They will need to provide me with their shipping address. I will pm you to request this information. Next I will provide them with the item to review.

Rules:

1. You must be a forum member with 5 or more posts
2. Live in the U.S. or Canada
3. Be over 18
4. No purchase necessary

Your review:

1. Please post your review in this section
2. Likes/dislikes about the product
3. Please try and complete the review before the end of the month
4. Would you purchase this item on your own
5. Continue carrying this product yes or not

Please let me know if you have any questions:

September's product is Link

·
Antique Nurse
644 Posts
I would like to participate too!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have three testers. Testers please post your results here. Thanks in advance to all those who volunteered.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the long hunter and so I offered to do an evaluation. I have about 10 years experience as a knife maker and I have 18 years as a machinist so I know a little about blades and manufacturing.

Long Hunter Evaluation

At the close of the French and Indian War, legend has it that English fur traders, angry over a slew of recent atrocities began to refer to the common French peasant/kitchen knife they had sold to the Indians for years as a Scalper. The modern re-creation, called the Long Hunter, is useful for all kinds of utility chores like field dressing, skinning or even quartering big game. It has a sharp, yet sturdy point for piercing and a moderately curved blade with an extra thin edge that facilitates cutting, slashing, chopping and shearing strokes.

While the scalper has always been a tool, there is no doubt it could (and has) served in a pinch as a frighteningly efficient weapon. Its point, while quite strong, is still very sharp and will pierce with dagger like ease. And its broad, flat ground blade is capable of delivering astonishingly deep cuts and slashes.

So that is what Cold Steel has written about their Long Hunter. I purchased one a few months ago and decided to give it a test to see how it would do, and how well it fit. At around 25 dollars it is a reasonably priced knife that should do its job in the field. It is made out of 4116 Krupp stainless steel. 4116 Krupp Stainless is fined grained stainless steel made by ThyssenKrupp in Germany is used for hygienic applications and food processing. The balance of carbon and chromium content give it a high degree of corrosion resistance and impressive physical characteristics of strength and edge holding. Retention in actual cutting tests exceeds blades made of the 420 and 440 series of stainless steels.

I treat knives pretty rough at times and this one was a strong blade. I didn’t care much for the handle because I prefer the look of wood, but this handle was capable and fit my hand comfortably. The blade was very sharp, as I have come to expect from Cold Steel. I cut through a few branches and feathered them for starting a fire. I cleaned the knife and used it to cube some meat for the stew I was preparing. I tend to use my knife a lot when I cook and this one I need to watch as the handle will melt.

The knife went through all types of meat and even cut some of the smaller bones without much effort. I used it for two days and never had to touch the edge up. After I returned home I tried it on 1 inch Sisal Rope and it cut it free swinging on the first try. I also tried it on a water bottle and it sliced it cleanly as well. This is after taking it out to camp so the knife had good edge holding and a tough blade. I cut the rope about 20 times in a row, hoping to get it to stop cutting through swing after swing. I finally gave up.

The only thing I didn’t care for was the sheath. I like leather and this knife had a cordura pouch as a sheath. That was okay, because I decided to make a leather sheath for it. The sheath itself was the same as all sheaths of this type and it was made to handle the knife and would serve its purpose fine.

Pathfinder Paul Freeman
http://paulfreeman.us

1 - 20 of 25 Posts