Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there not any mountains or plateaus that are not owned by the government anymore? I know Bakers mountain in Catawba county has it posted and thus, made illegal to hunt, camp, fish or take any plant or wood from the mountain.

This being a survival based forum, I'm inquiring if there are any unowned or free/public mountains anymore as it once was.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
There is plenty of government owned land you can hunt on. In PA for example, there are literally millions of acres of "state game lands." You are free to hunt with few restrictions, however, many areas are closed to motor vehicles. There are millions of acres of Cherokee National forest in TN that are open to hunting. You just need to watch access because much of it is surrounded by private lands. My son lives in MT. There are national forests behind his house that go for 100s of miles. Some trails are off limits to motorized vehicles during hunting season but you can hunt pretty much anywhere you want --- with the correct licenses, tags and obeying the regulations.

One caveat though. I have hunted PA in the mountains during deer season. Be advised you will NOT BE ALONE. It seemed like I was at a Santa Claus convention because there was literally blaze orange behind every tree! Conversely, I have hunted the mountains in TN for the past few seasons and I can count the number of hunters I have seen on one hand. I can count the deer on two hands!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I get shot with arrows if I go on Wautaga land or is it detainment/arrest like any other county? If the natives kept their ways and didn't modernize, I expect I risk being shot at with river cane arrows. Im aware of gamelands, but its an issue of transportation which I don't have to get to vale, south mountain, Alexander county or buffalo cove in Lenoir. I don't feel comfortable hunting alone either since I don't know the terrain and NC will be my first dangerous hunt.

Its not a walk in the park like Nebraska or Illinois where I know people and have permission to be on farms or private land. North Carolina is entirely different and I am still seeking like minded individuals who share my interests and views and/or southern/country folk I heard so much about.

There does not seem to be any country people here in Catawba county. A lot of fear mongers and sensitized idiots though, guess Catawba county isn't very defense and rights friendly as far as the average citizen goes.

·
Banned
10,726 Posts
It is hard to figure out your question. Are there public lands not owned by the government? No. But there are many millions of acres in the West where you can do what you want. I have a million acres on the other side of my back fence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.