Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else seen the trailer for a new Fox Show 'Terra Nova' ? ... Looks pretty good from the screen shots and the clips I have seen.

Plot:
The show begins in the year 2149, a time when all life on planet Earth is threatened with extinction (suggested in trailers to be due to dwindling worldwide air quality). In an effort to save the human race, scientists develop a time machine allowing people to travel 85 million years back in time to prehistoric Earth. The Shannon family (father Jim, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy and Zoe) join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first human colony on the other side of the temporal doorway. However, they are unaware that the colony is in the middle of a group of carnivorous dinosaurs. (Wikipedia)

·
The last of the Ravens
1,755 Posts
except that if they changed the past, most likely humans would not exist in the future. its the time travel paradox. you changed the past - the future changes - you most likely don't exist (if the change is far back enough, humans most likely won't exist). lol. still looks like an interesting series though =D

·
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was more worried that my wife pointed out the paradox before I realised ... Was thinking too much about the survival challenges of living 85 million years ago ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
except that if they changed the past, most likely humans would not exist in the future. its the time travel paradox. you changed the past - the future changes - you most likely don't exist (if the change is far back enough, humans most likely won't exist). lol. still looks like an interesting series though =D
Alternately, their timeline diverged from ours at the moment of their arrival in the past. In that case, their traveling forward in time wouldn't land them back where they started. I hope the colonists brought heavy firepower (HMG, mortars & autocannon) to defend themselves.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for the series.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What I want to know is; if they are smart enough to build a time machine and travel to the past, why did they go back to a time before an ELE asteroid hits and wipes out nearly everything larger than a groundhog that's not living in water?

sheilab15
The ELE was 65 MYA, so they shouldn't have any problems with that. As to why 85 MYA? Maybe their time machine has a fixed focus. Or it could be that it was chosen (partly as plot device) because flowering plants and bees were becoming common in that timeframe. Or it could be an excuse to keep some of the more ornery (and big) theropods and ceratopsians out of the settlement without resorting to heavy machineguns or autocannon (sauropods could still remain a problem). I wonder if we'll see any feathered dino's (theropods mostly)?

·
The last of the Ravens
1,755 Posts
upon watching the trailer again, i wonder if they are going to try and go with a jurassic park style theme for the show. everything starts nice and wonderful then descends into chaos and the whole place abandoned in the end. lol.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts