Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear your ideas on wilderness shelters, especially if they can safely have fires in them. Tell us about your ideas for:

Warmth
Strength/Security
Weatherproofing (Rain/Wind)
Use of natural materials from forest to desert

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've actually lived in a yurt for about 5 months on the Mongolian plains. The structure itself was quiet simply a natural wood frame with layers of felt over it. It could be taken down and set up in under an hour after you understand the basics. There was a very small iron stove in the middle for cooking and heating. Mostly dried dung was used for fuel. It rained a few times and was quite windy in the area. As long as you carefully chose the area to set up it was great for shedding water and not having leakage. The only downside I noted was if it got really wet out there was an odor from the wool. The people I was with claimed that smaller 1 person oblong yurts could be made for hunters which required no heating at all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like a lot of the modern yurts on the market today. If you take the time to put them on a stable floor they can be just as comfortable as any house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts