Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...hope to be able to set up at least a permanent or semi-permanent shelter, but if it fails for any reason (or it can't protect well enough from the cold), how long can I expect a tent like the Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 to last? The tent needs to be light enough to carry. Am I crazy for thinking a tent can provide good, long-term shelter if needed?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I dunno, those silly Native Americans did it. :)

I believe that like many other things, it will last for how ever long you would take care of it. So plan ahead, and have the equipment needed to properly care for and maintain your tent if you should ever find yourself using it for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have a Eureka Assault Outfitter 4, and it is not a backpacking tent. It weighs over 20 pounds, and is bulky. I carry mine on a deer cart, along with other odds and ends.

Eventually the sun will take its toll, despite UV protection. Rips and tears could happen (don't forget the repair tape). But if you're careful with it, I think it could last a few years. And even if it does fall apart, it's not a total loss. You still have lots of material you can salvage and use.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
NO. though I may be wrong... Of appears that the tent material is sil-nylon; silicon impregneted nylon. No matter what they do to it, it will deteriorate over 1-2 seasons. Buy an ancillary fly, a couple of cheap tarps, or whatever it takes to keep it shaded. The sun eats tents, mildew eats tents. For end of the world accomodations, this will do as you build something more permanent, but don't rely on it lasting longer than 9 months erected, and consider yourself top of the world if it lasts 2 years.

-G
Phone post, sorry for errors...

·
Registered
774 Posts
For end of the world accomodations, this will do as you build something more permanent
I agree.

The first days will be the toughest. You'll be trying to adapt to a new way of life. Anything that will make those days easier is a plus. Pitching a tent is certainly easier than building a shelter out of trees. That's one less thing you'll have to worry about, so you can concentrate more on food and water.

As time goes by, and you become more accustomed to your new life, you should start thinking about building a new shelter.

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
A wikki shelter or a TP properly made could last quite a while. They're also re-pairable.
I'd prefer a properly made TP. --warm and cozy with fire inside.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Shelters made from site-found materials will necessarily depend on the local environment. Even if it only lasts a few months, a good tent will give great comfort and allow time to find and if necessary transport building materials to the desired site. It is also much easier to transport should it become necessary to relocate. If your tent is a large one, consider putting a smaller tent inside for insulation from very cold temps. Space-type blankets are also good tent liners for insulation.

·
Intemporaliter Fidelis
282 Posts
Shelters made from site-found materials will necessarily depend on the local environment. Even if it only lasts a few months, a good tent will give great comfort and allow time to find and if necessary transport building materials to the desired site.
I agree. A tent is needed but for the long term I would go ahead and build a more permanent shelter if possible. :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have to agree with the above. by all means get a tent.. Wenzel makes a decent tent for a good price. But bring your axe and be ready to erect a more perminant dwelling. An A-Frame style hut can be easily made and if built with good, substantial timbers will last years and years. This is done by building a basic leanto and doubling it. Use new green logs for this. Use this shelter as your next step after your tent. Then start work on your cabin. Try the double leanto with old logs to practice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts