Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an annoying post, but...

If I could only get one or maybe two knives in addition to what I already have, what should I get? I know I need a machete and a small and large axe, so I'm not counting those...

Would really like them to be $200 or less. These are what I already have...and if you can't tell, I know NOTHING about knives. They were given to me.

I know most of you will laugh, but I plan on hunting and fishing and foraging and building shelter and doing whatever else is necessary to survive. I'm green at all this but am trying to learn as quickly as possible. Many thanks.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
i carry a small pack axe, cold steel kukri, gerber folding saw, cold steel srk(main knife straped to me), benchmade Rand Pardue 4" fixed(bushcraft knife), cold steel recon 1 folder(EDC), and a leatherman wave(edc in car). I also have a cold steel recon scout in my edc bag.

The climent i live in is very harsh and changes very rapidly so a wide vairity of knives is a must. i also carry a 6" fillet knife and a cold steel bird & trout skinner in my food prep bag.

I say the most important is the SRK and wave.

Try to think of what you need most. A deffensive knife, food prep, escape(hacking through a door, camping chores. NOT IN ORDER.

·
Registered
439 Posts

If I could only get one or maybe two knives in addition to what I already have, what should I get? I know I need a machete and a small and large axe, so I'm not counting those...

Would really like them to be $200 or less. These are what I already have...and if you can't tell, I know NOTHING about knives. They were given to me.

I know most of you will laugh, but I plan on hunting and fishing and foraging and building shelter and doing whatever else is necessary to survive. I'm green at all this but am trying to learn as quickly as possible. Many thanks.

In addition to the two knives you showed us, I would get a large, substantial survival knife (i.e. Ontario SP5, $45), a mid-sized axe, a multi-tool and a bow saw. These should just about cover your needs.

Folding knife: Pocket carry

Fixed-blade knife: Various small cutting tasks (inc. cleaning fish & game), carving

Large knife: Self defense, smaller wood-chopping tasks, batoning firewood

Mid-sized axe: Chopping down small to medium trees and limbing

Multi-tool: Various uses

Bow saw: Cutting down trees (all sizes), faster than large axe

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts

[URL="http://idisk.mac.com/curtis.pollock//Public/knives.jpg"][/URL]
The bottom knife looks like it could be made by Western or maybe even Marbles. Couldn't make out the name. Actually, if you're planning on bugging out, you don't want to carry too much weight. Outside of getting your axe and hatchet, I don't see a huge need to get anything else (depending on the quality of the steel above). You should probably consider buying a good sharpening system. DMT makes some nice, small fold up models. You might consider a backup knife should you lose or damage one. Gerber makes a pretty decent folding saw that comes with 2 blades and a pouch/sheath.

Reactions: Echo

·
Registered
304 Posts
2 fixed blades (one that you have already and a cheap Mora)
1 folder / multitool is good (I prefer Leatherman & Victorinox)
1 Axe (Wetterlings LHA is quite decent and Fiskars makes good and strong modern axes for reasonable price)

Axe / hatchet can be replaced with big knife aswell.

ps. decent fillet knife could be nice to have also for filletting fish. It´s good for other food prep also (I carry swedish EKA fillet folder)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. Action: the bottom knife is a Case. Thanks for the DMT recommendation.

I'll do some research based on your answers and, of course, come back with more questions!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I recommend wet & dry sandpaper glued to hard surface from 200-1000 grits. Very efficient & very cheap !! (You cannot get that big diamond sharpener)

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I have DMT "keychain" folding sharpener. Its amazing, got it for around 10 bucks. I have the red one i think its extra fine adn its perfect for toutching up my blades.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Ontario - too many good ones to list - Marine bayonet is full tang:thumb:

Kabar - bowies, marine, kukri - did I say Kukri?:thumb:

Cold Steel - srk, recon scout, trailmaster

1095 steel

A chopper knife must have a lanyard.

Hammer style pommel handle.

Good sheath (2 snaps)

I saw a Trailmaster for 34.00! Ebay has the bayonets for 80.00

Kabar Kukri (chopper, machete, knife) and Ontario Mark 1 Navy(bushcraft) - good combo - 100.00+

Here are some I like 45.00 to 85.00. There are so many too choose from.
I left off lots more in this price range.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nessmuk's Trinity is a good way to start

Nessmuk's Trinity meme is where you can start- one good
fixed blade all around knife, one good pocket folder, and one chopping tool- axe, kukri, machete, etc.
You will find knives vary in size, weight, grip, and "feel".
You need to find blades that feel right for you and make
it easy to do common tasks- food prep, skinning, whittling, etc. What feels right to me may be a bad fit for you, and vice versa. That is why you need to look at reliable brands and then try to find knives that "fit".
Follow the advice above- look at Mora, Ontario, Becker,
etc. Those will give good quality and reliable design.
In a few years you will either be a knife trader or have literally dozens of blade <G>.
GreyOne

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
An axe and a machete, in adition to the two knives at the top of the thread will see you through.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked up a SOG Spec Plus Navy at the local surplus store in used condition for $40. I thought it was a good deal at the time until I started looking up prices. Oh well! Also picked up a machete, and I already have a hatchet. It's REALLY old, but it seems very solid.

So, I think according to most of you I'll have the basics covered once I pick up a nice filet knife and an axe. After that and I get the basics covered in more areas, I'll start looking at the prettier knives. :) This is something I'd really like to get into...I hope I have time! Things are looking DIM.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts

Hey Echo.
The folding knife is pretty good from the looks of it, and can double as a tac knife in a bind.
The longer one, if it's sharp enough, will be okay for skinning, and cutting string.
From a survialist point of view, yes you are right, it would be a good idea to get a nice light ax with head sheath, and if you can afford it, a Leatherman multi tool comes in handy.
For combatitives, you want a knife a bit longer than your folding one, preferably fixed blade with a finer point.
Also, studying everything you can on the net and these forums about knife care and sharpening will stand you in good stead.
@kajunman: Those are some nice knifes :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts