176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard times have some flirting with survivalism
Economic angst has Americans stockpiling 'beans, bullets and Band-Aids’

By Kari Huus
Reporter
msnbc.com
updated 6:06 a.m. ET Oct. 21, 2008

SEATTLE - Atash Hagmahani is not waiting for the stock market to recover. The former high-tech professional turned urban survivalist has already moved his money into safer investments: Rice and beans, for starters.

“I hoard food,” says Hagmahani, 44, estimating that he has enough to last his family a year or two. “I’m not ashamed to admit it.”

“People keep asking when this (economic crisis) is going to clear up,” says Hagmahani, who agreed to be interviewed on the condition that he be identified only by the pseudonym he uses for his survivalist blog, or by his first name, Rob.

Continue reading: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27244465/

Reactions: sherrieallen

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, my bad...I didn't see it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wow,
I cant believe the mainstream media coverd a subject such as us in a good light. I guess that this means things are getting sooo bad that even there eyes might be opening, "just a little". Well thats good. It was a pretty well written . Im glad to see they didnt portray us as a bunch of tin foil hat wearin doom an gloomers.:thumb:

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
Now everyone who reads that article will know where to turn to for a handout in times of need...
Ya know, that was exactly my thought as soon as I'd seen the man's pseudonym. Actually, I verbalized, "You...fool". Oh well. We're not being seen as nutcases, so that's certainly helpful.

And the guy's pseudonym can come out as "A Again Hath Hams" as an anagram, so that's pretty cool right there.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I too went GREAT - as in, gee we don't need this. Now the prices will surely go up as more competition for the supplies. That's the mean side of me. The good side of me says, at least it will mean less people going hungry. I often wonder what I will say or do if a hungry person comes and wants a meal. I just don't see how I could say no. So, all my supplies will be gone and we would all starve to death. Honestly, I don't know why more people don't do this. I'm trusting you that say they are not. Personally, stocking food for a rainy day is 2nd nature to everyone I know. Maybe not yearS worth but everyone I know saves something. My youngest son had his 1st garden this past summer. He had a little pile of tomatoes over regular useage and I showed him how to process and freeze them. It's only 3 quarts but it's a start. Now he's excited about a bigger garden next summer and thinking about what he could put up for a rainy day. Back to this thread - sorry - I'm glad we weren't described as nuts.

·
Registered
969 Posts
MSNBC (also known as More S#it No Brains Channel) is just seeing which way the winds of fear are blowing with their koolade drinking readership.

Its already too late for the majority of them to do any meaningful preparation.....TSHAHTF and its only getting worse. Those people don't want the job of preparing for themselves, they want to know who is going to "rescue" them.

MSNBC is usually either wrong in their information or a day late and a dollar short.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
we're living proof of that folks

·
*** Bless America
480 Posts
MSNBC (also known as More S#it No Brains Channel) is just seeing which way the winds of fear are blowing with their koolade drinking readership.

Its already too late for the majority of them to do any meaningful preparation.....TSHAHTF and its only getting worse. Those people don't want the job of preparing for themselves, they want to know who is going to "rescue" them.

MSNBC is usually either wrong in their information or a day late and a dollar short.
The amount of rhetoric you just used is unfathomable. Not one ounce of fact in your post. Oh yeah, its kool-aid

·
Registered
19 Posts
TANSTAAFL!!!! I think it is more of a warning to those who don't think things are as bad as they seem. At least the guys wasn't a political nut, and just wanted to get by like most folks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts