Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At garage sales and thrift stores, serviceable tents are often cheap, around $5-$10. I bought what turned out to be a $575 tent for $5. I have ten tents, different styles and size, form two person to 16x25. Why?
Ok, here is my secret plan. If the SHTF, and I am forced to set up camp in the hills, I expect there will be roaming guys looking for an easy source of food and supplies.
My lone tent would be a tempting target. I intend to take all the tents and set them up in a large circle, with three campfires in the middle. It should look like a colony of 20-30 people camped there. It is unlikely that one or two men would try to attack. Even a group would not know which tent I am in, and if necessary I could escape out the back door while they went thorough the camp.

There are also many other options, such as a small tent inside a larger tent for added protection and insulation from the cold and snow.

You can’t have too many tents.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I would see the tents and then kick back on a hill and glass you for several hours. I would want to know how many people you have and if you look like starving canibals or if you look organized and trade worthy.

Raiders would do the same. You will only fool the very stupid this way, and maybe not them because they would probably be dead before they found you.

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
CAW!

At garage sales and thrift stores, serviceable tents are often cheap, around $5-$10. I bought what turned out to be a $575 tent for $5. I have ten tents, different styles and size, form two person to 16x25. Why?
Ok, here is my secret plan. If the SHTF, and I am forced to set up camp in the hills, I expect there will be roaming guys looking for an easy source of food and supplies.
My lone tent would be a tempting target. I intend to take all the tents and set them up in a large circle, with three campfires in the middle. It should look like a colony of 20-30 people camped there. It is unlikely that one or two men would try to attack. Even a group would not know which tent I am in, and if necessary I could escape out the back door while they went thorough the camp.

There are also many other options, such as a small tent inside a larger tent for added protection and insulation from the cold and snow.

Good luck......:eek::

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,553 Posts

Interesting and I have thought of something like that before. I have even set up a few tents on my mtn place. Not really to fool people but to have one or two supply tents and one sleeping tent. And if anyone, usually neighbors with cabins might drive by then they likely would think that I am not alone.

This past summer I had two pickup trucks on my land near my front gate. My old '79 pickup and my large F-350 and a couple people asked if I was alone. There is a guy and his wife who for 24 years, own 20 acres a half mile from my land and they always have an old pickup truck sitting on their land, even two trucks now been sitting there for at least five years. They have the one or two trucks parked there to make it look like someone is there. And it works now pre-SHTF.

I do and have done all kinds of things on my mtn retreat since I don't need permission to do what I need and want to do as long as it hurts no one.

I have bought a new tent every summer for at least 23 summers not including many other times I went hiking - backpacking over the past forty plus years.

And while I suppose, it is possible, it is very unlikely there will be those with thermal scopes etc. watching you, especially if you are in a remote area far from cities and highways.

If you think you must do this especially alone then try to do more camoflage. Such as I have an underground shelter which can easily be turned into a military type bunker if ever necessary. Every summer I am trying to make it more camoflaged, more hidden.

And Yehudi I see you are in Wyoming possibly not too many miles or hours away from my mountain area. So IF there ever is a bad SHTF or such and you might have a day or two to prepare or bug out then in my opinion you might want to consider traveling as quick as possible to my mtn retreat. Even to Encampment, WY where there are some free campsites. But you or almost anyone who would make it up to my mountain area specifically my mtn land and would join me might be very wise. I know that I will most likely have a few who will join me and some do even just to visit.

That is one more thing, is that you could visit me on my mountain and see for yourself. I would even pay for your or a few others gas and expenses to come up mainly this next summer. Just send me a message before June Yehudi and anyone else. Although I am getting more and more hermit like but I do welcome a Few visitors especially this next summer.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,515 Posts

TO BE blunt..
IT will be a HUGE waste of time and effort to set up a bunch of tents thinking it will bluff someone desperate enough to have to think about "going in" to begin with. As others have said...
If a single or small group, and desperate, they will simply sit and watch to ascertain the opposition...
and
they might not have even seen your "camp" if there weren't so many tents around.

That many "people" around a camp means there is food and shelter and all sorts of things that keep them together that others might want. The negatives will outweigh the positives...
and

When the observer(s) do find out you are alone or very low numbers it will make them want to find out what made you go to such elaborate deceptive actions to protect what you have.

unless

you are intent on doing something like creating a bait pile to hunt over... then it would work for that.:D::thumb:

Reactions: Aerindel

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting comments. Not very constructive, (except of Mtnman Mike’s) but interesting. In this area, it is highly unlikely for more than one or two to be roaming, especially where I would likely be headed. It is far off the beaten path, and not near any population centers.
For any who might “kick back on a hill and glass…”, not very bright. While they are busy watching the tents, they wouldn’t be watching their back.
Thermal sights? Not around here.
Also, the tent I would be in would be the hidden one to which Truck Vet referred. As noted, slipping out the back door after the alarms went off, IF the camp was raided.
Thank you all for your comments anyhow,

·
Registered
47 Posts
So do thermal scopes see through everything? Not up on the technology. I wonder if there is a liner or a film you could put on the inside of the tent so your privacy is not invaded.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In this area, it is highly unlikely for more than one or two to be roaming, especially where I would likely be headed. It is far off the beaten path, and not near any population centers.
All the more reason to just have one camouflaged/well hidden tent.
It is unlikely that a lone passerby or two would even notice you if done well. A "colony" of tents is sure to be seen and investigated.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
If you have a group of tents and receive some visitors, just tell them you're not sure what happened to your group so they are welcome to stay.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Interesting comments. Not very constructive, (except of Mtnman Mike’s) but interesting. In this area, it is highly unlikely for more than one or two to be roaming, especially where I would likely be headed. It is far off the beaten path, and not near any population centers.
For any who might “kick back on a hill and glass…”, not very bright. While they are busy watching the tents, they wouldn’t be watching their back.
Thermal sights? Not around here.
Also, the tent I would be in would be the hidden one to which Truck Vet referred. As noted, slipping out the back door after the alarms went off, IF the camp was raided.
Thank you all for your comments anyhow,
If it is one or two that are roaming and they see that you are alone how many of them does it take to put a bullet into you at 300 yards?

A comment being constructive does not always mean that it agrees with your plan.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the more reason to just have one camouflaged/well hidden tent.
It is unlikely that a lone passerby or two would even notice you if done well. A "colony" of tents is sure to be seen and investigated.
My camouflaged tent, the one I would be staying in, is a small four season mountain tent. It would be out of sight behind and away from the group of tents. Therefore the “slipping out the back door” reference.
Although most of the comments here are more relevant to a much more heavily populated area, setting up all the tents, even in this area, might cause more problems than they are worth. They might make a great diversion if set up a mile away with alarms.

Having said that, I have investigated how well a tent of any size can be completely hidden, and it isn’t as easy as it may seem. I have tried earth-tone tents, hidden from above with camo scatter-netting overhead to hide from aerial spotting, including drones. The concept is great, the practicality not so much. I also tried earth-tone color tents hidden in bushes, and they can be spotted. This summer I will set up some of these again and take photos.

The only tents that really blend in are Real Tree camo tents. I don’t have one of those. Yet.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another point. I have some large tents, about 16’ x 20’, and 12’ by 16’. In this country, where it gets cold and snows a lot, I plan on trying to set up smaller tents inside the large ones for protection from the snow and insulation from the cold. Those make a really large target and are almost impossible to hide. Theoretically, I could put a small tent, inside a larger tent, inside a huge tent. That would also provide a lot of room for storing supplies outside the sleeping tent, but still protected from the outside.
Suggestions on the best way to hide them are welcome.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Another point. I have some large tents, about 16’ x 20’, and 12’ by 16’. In this country, where it gets cold and snows a lot, I plan on trying to set up smaller tents inside the large ones for protection from the snow and insulation from the cold. Those make a really large target and are almost impossible to hide. Theoretically, I could put a small tent, inside a larger tent, inside a huge tent. That would also provide a lot of room for storing supplies outside the sleeping tent, but still protected from the outside.
Suggestions on the best way to hide them are welcome.
Presumably you are moving all these tents with a vehicle as you are talking about several hundred pounds here.

And if you are doing that, you could just use and RV, camper etc with a wood stove, water tanks, solar panels, Protection from the snow, food, etc.

And you aren't messing around somewhere for HOURS setting up a fake camp, or russian nesting tents.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Presumably you are moving all these tents with a vehicle as you are talking about several hundred pounds here.
A 4x4 ATV pulling a trailer.
And if you are doing that, you could just use and RV, camper etc with a wood stove, water tanks, solar panels, Protection from the snow, food, etc.
Where I would be going, there is no way to drive a truck, let alone pull an RV. My 4x4 ATV cannot pull a camper or an RV, but it can pull the special built off-road trailer I built. I designed it especially for this.
And you aren't messing around somewhere for HOURS setting up a fake camp, or russian nesting tents.
What are you yammering about? If I am setting up a proper camp, It would take many hours, perhaps a couple days.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
What are you yammering about? If I am setting up a proper camp, It would take many hours, perhaps a couple days.
Um...yes...thats my point. Spending many hours or days clanking around setting up a camp, let along a large fake camp is going to be a lot of work and make you highly vulnerable while doing it.

If something so bad has happened that you are going to run away from home and set up a fake camp because you are worried about raiders, its probably not a good time to spend days setting up a camp. Its more like crawl into a hole and lay low time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts