Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
El Cid, I hate hippies.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buy either a new 2 person, 3 season tent by Black Diamond or twon Hennessy Hammocks. THe Hammocks are much less expensive and it seems that they are adequate for all types of weather and situations, but they aren't tents. Does anyone have any suggestions, or even better, does anyone have any experience with Hennessey Hammocks or similar all season, all weather hammocks? How are they in cold weather, how is gear storage? Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There are several other threads floating around here discussing tents and hammocks but I'll share my opinion on them with you.

I discovered the hennessy hammocks about 6 months ago and thought I had found the perfect set up, and eventually bought one.

I just tried it out for the first time about a month ago and it was not as wonderful as I had hoped.

The bugs were bad, and although the mosquito netting does a great job keeping them out, they were able to easily bite thru the bottom of the hammock. I was laying on my sleeping bag, however I apparently did not have the hammock perfectly level and thru out the night, about every 45 minutes or so I would end up sliding down more towards one end, sort of bunching up my feet. This sliding with the addition of the slick material of the hammock and the sleeping bag, kept allowing parts of my shoulders and upper back to slip off the bag and onto the bottom of the hammock itself, and the mosquitos would zero in and bite the hell out of me. On this same camping trip a friend came with me and used my regular tent. By about 2 in the morning I was so fed up with being uncomfortable by sliding down in the hammock every hour or so, which caused me to awaken, plus the mosquitos biting me when I did slide, and not to mention the noise of the mosquitos was irritating. Even when they cant bite you, since they are literally just inches from your face outside the hammock, you hear them buzzing all around and it sounds like they are right in your ear. Its instinct when you hear them so close to want to swat at them, and although I am sure eventually youd get use to it, it was bothersome that night. But anyways by 2 am I finally got up and went into the tent my friend was using.

So although I am not totally writing off the hammocks, I was not as impressed with them as I had hoped. Another issue was setting it up. Reading about it, it comes across as super easy to set up almost anywhere.

Well I was in the woods, full of trees. However, the first tree I wanted to use to attach one end, was to wide to allow the straps to wrap around properly and line up with the end loops...so I couldnt use that tree. Then the next one seemed good, and I got it all set up, but when I got into it, apparently that tree was to slim as it ended up bending and I ended up laying on the ground, so I had to find a third tree, which required me relocating my camping spot.

Again alot of the things I am describing are rookie mistakes I am sure. I am pointing them out to just let you know it isnt quite as simple as all the reviews can lead you to believe is all.

The leveling part of it can be over come by attaching a small level to the center, bottom part of your hammock, so I have read, which makes sense. But make no mistake, you better get it level and be darn near perfect. I am 6 foot, and weight 185 and I was slipping and sliding in that hammock, and I was very level going off of eye( I recheck the next morning as I thought I must have been badly unlevel during the night, to my surprise with my eye I couldnt tell I was unlevel).

Anyways, I am keeping my hammock for situations in which I really need to be off the ground, but I think I am back to my trusty tent as my main go to sleeping quarters for camping.

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
i use a versa shelter i feel the hammock and a zip up tent put you in a volunarable postition i worry about wolves mountain ,lions and bears where i live so i like to use somthing easy to get out of and away the tarp and rope have multiple purpse you can also make a hammock out of the blanket remember if it does not have mutiple uses then you should not caryy it

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
There is a combination solo tent/hammock out there somewhere, but memory fails me at the moment...I will reply with the name when I find it. Looks pretty cool...has poles that let it be set up on the ground when there are no trees, otherwise it's like a jungle or a Hennessy Hammock....
ok, here's one:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/outdoor/lawson-hammock-camping-tent/

·
Registered
13 Posts
The HH are great, but I just don't like sleeping in hammocks.

It does sleep cool in the summer and it is the only time I use it anymore.

I also experienced the same problems with sliding down, but I am sure I didn't have it set up exactly level.

I love the fly and use it more than the HH :)

Later,
ZA
www.zombieaxe.blogspot.com

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I have a Hennessy Hammock and after several times using it I am still happy with it. Much cooler than the tent and I feel like I am being rocked to sleep in mother's arms. HOWEVER, in hind site I would have bought a "jungle hammock" to give me the netting and then just used a normal camo tarp. The price would have been a fraction of the cost.

As to the original post, yes, you made some noob mistakes.

First, always scout your camp with the requirement of two good trees being there. Use extra rope to handle trees too far apart and don't use the straps if the trees are too thick.

Second, I mount my hammock about chest high and ALWAYS mount the loops at the same height. The first time that I slid I would have retied the hammock. It only takes a few minutes to set it up.

Anyways, just my two cents.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've used my HH several times and love it. Granted, no trees make using it a problem. If you live in a treed area, however, it's hard to beat. As was mentioned, setup it crucial. I have never used a level when setting mine up. I find that if the straps are about face height, and it is tight enough, then all is well. 6', 175lb average human here.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
my latest hammock video,the dd hammock and tarp:cool:neo
Awesome...I really want to get into hammock camping, but don't wan to get stuck without any trees...it seems so versatile to have the option to swing in the air or plop down on the ground...

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
it really depends on what type of weather you will encounter. i see hammocks at tropical climate. where you can get artic tents for COLD weather and heavy winds. it really depends on where your going to be out in nature. do you see ppl going camping in the dead of winter in alaska with a hammock?but its common to see someone in the tropics with a hammock. so let your location dictate your choice not you wanting to make it work just cause it looks kewl. where it will kick in just picture yourself trying to sleep in the worst of weather in your area cold /storms/ heat.remember when TSHTF they dont get a weather forcast for sunny 75 degree days and calm winds when it hits.so you need to prepare for the worst and enjoy the best :thumb:

if your wanting to save space and weight in your backpack then throw all of that away all you need is a pancho and some string just to keep the rain off. and if its southern winter a pancho liner and your sleeping bag. but if your in super cold envierment you may need more warmth. if you need more room then take 2 panchos and snap them together and you have a bigger tent. i seen that video with the tarp tent and tought why when a pancho would do just as good and is smaller/lighter.and if its cold that wool blanket isnt enough to keep you warm you need a good sleeping bag.

·
Registered
133 Posts
ive been reading up on hammocks .. there are alot of serious options for winter camping with hammocks..from what ive read ,isulating your back is is pretty important .like useing a sleep pad.im guessing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts