Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be a good idea to rake a pad of pine needles about 6 to 8 inches thick for under my tent. (Then place the ground tarp, and then the tent.)
Well, like most of my ideas, some work and some don't.
I'm imagining a nice soft pad, but in reality I'm probably going to get needles poking through the bottom of my tent floor.
Has anyone tried this?

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
I sleep on pine needles all the time. Used to. Haven't been out in a tent in a few years now. Really miss it, too.

Be well.

rich

·
Ready when you are
685 Posts
They shouldn't poke through if your tarp is worth its weight. But another option is bows of live cedar leaves. They're not sharp but are easy to collect the way pine needles are. And then again you can just take an actual sleeping pad.

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are you going to get 6-8 inches of pine needles? I have slept on whatever grass, leaves, or pine needles that are already on the ground. The most comfortable was the foot long grass that made a nice pad to sleep on.
Yea I was thinking about just raking the fallen dried pine needles into a raised platform type area.
I do have a pad, so maybe that's enough.
I never thought about grasses and cedar boughs, thanks for the ideas.
Haven't been tent camping in years, figured this fall was a good time to relearn everything.
Thanks

·
IT'S A MADHOUSE!
1,191 Posts
why bother? just use a simple sleeping pad, set tent up on sand when possible it tends to be soft and that way water won't flow under you when it rains either.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Ya you pine needle bed is all fun and games till you realize you sleeping on a bunch of brown recluse or the Damn near silver dollar sized black widow I smashed against my barbeque while re laying some tile

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few years ago i went camping with a few buddies up in the Sierras. 2 of the guys raked and cleaned the ground where they put up their tents.... i didn't. We got a good amount of rain the first night and everything was just soaked! It was bad enough that we started digging small trenches just to divert some of the run off. The cushion of needles kept my tent nice and dry and allowed a place for the water to flow through. The guys who cleaned up the ground first had so much water underneath their tents that it literally looked like a water bed! ALL their bags and gear got soaked as water started seeping in from the sides of their tents. I slept just fine and stayed dry.

I always remove acorns, rocks and large sticks before putting down a tarp and pitch a tent over that. Removing the needles is a bad idea in my opinion. I don't actually "add" needles... just use what fell naturally.

·
Survivalist
260 Posts
I put pine needles down not 6-8 inches that's like a matress. After all i do have pine needles-tarp-tent-sleeping pad-sleeping bag and I wake up feeling good. Socal I know exactly what your talking about I get nearly bit each year hasn't happened yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts