Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most of our winters are cold and damp,but worst of all wet. What is the most important way you can keep down hypothermia (and frost bite in your feet)?

·
Registered
839 Posts
learn to dress in layers with breathable material...goretex etc...
Wear synthetic materials or wool. NO COTTON If you are hiking or performing activities in the winter, dont allow your self to sweat. If you do you are more prone to getting hypothermia. :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Trench foot is more of an issue in what you describe.

As LT Dan said, "Take care of your feet."

Wool socks should be changed often ... invest in some very adequate winter boots (adequate = high dollar, in most cases).

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
When canoeing I carry an extra set of clothing in ziplock baggies to change into if I get wet. I'm thinking of vacuum sealing a set of cloths that I will always keep under the seat for emergencies. Carrying an extra couple pairs of socks like this may be helpful. I also like my Seal socks. Waterproof socks have to be bought big enough to go over other socks because they don't offer enough insulation but the new ones breat enough to let the sweat out but don't allow the larger droplets of water to get to your feet. That's the way I do it out here anyway.

rill

·
Registered
47 Posts
most of our winters are cold and damp,but worst of all wet. What is the most important way you can keep down hypothermia (and frost bite in your feet)?
i live in nashville,winters here in the 60's and 70's were much colder,we got a couple months of snow every winter,now we dont get a couple days of snow.
welcome to this forum:cool:neo

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True but its always damp and east TN gets more snow than here. I worry about camping in the elements in the higher elevations.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
true finally got some pics up check em out:))

·
Registered
107 Posts
i live in the mountains of northeast tn,right now theres about 2 inches outside i dress in layers and if its windy some sort of rain suit keeps the wind out and the heat in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts