Survivalist Forum banner
121 - 140 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
15,609 Posts
As said most is covid related, but it is also the Biden administration is causing a lot of the problems. Not solving the trucker problem in California. California won't allow any diesel trucks made before 2013 to operate in their state.
Do you have a source noting when this went into effect? I ask because I spend a LOT of time in LAX and I am not seeing any evidence of that. Plenty of big rigs that are pre-2013 operating there. Some even haul for us.

Reactions: KoolAde2

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I read that about California. It could be that any pre 2013 diesel has to be modified to run the clean diesel. I just read it somewhere. I will see if I can find it. In that same article it said they were giving preference to trucking companies who had union truckers, and were shunning independent truckers. Don't know. Again I will see if I can find the article.

Here is one article, but it was 2011 not 2013.

PolitiFact | California’s trucking regulations may have had an impact on port backups, but there’s more to it

another one:

California’s Inane Laws and The Port Problem Are Spreading East - Granite Grok

Seems as if this law just took place and this is part of the problem now.

·
Registered
15,609 Posts
Running low sulfur diesel went into effect in 1993; about the time I was still working as a project engineer for a heavy engineering contractor. ULSD requirements were phased in in 2006.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Trucks in California have to have DPF to run in the state or DEF and have a smog check to Kalicornia standards not federal standard. That forced owners of older trucks to sell them out of state or country at a loss. Kalifornia then gets new or newer truck running in the state and then the registration is higher so the state makes more money and also sales tax on trucks purchased in state. If you buy a truck out of state and bring it in it has to be Kalifornia smog approved and them you have to pay any difference in the sales tax if the other state has a lower sales tax rate.

And just to let you know trucks are not allowed to idle for longer then 5 minutes while waiting to be loaded or unloaded unless it has a sleeper.

We got a bonus here in Kalifornia on January 16, 2020, we sent our most qualified senator to Washington to help out with all the supply chain problems.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
just got back from walmart shopping.

plenty of frozen potato's
baking potato's 10lb bag on sale half price $2.48 a bag.

plenty of canned cat food, but some open shelf space.
plenty of dairy
all vegetables/fruits fully stocked
plenty of beef, pork, chicken, I didn't see any leftover ham or turkeys.
plenty of eggs.
plenty of paper products.

basically there were no shortages again this week of anything that I could determine.

but still, FJB.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Regular bagged potatoes are cheaper than processed packaged fries and Tater Tots, or potato chips. I remember my mom making fries from potatoes, even cutting small thin slices of potatoes to make home made potato chips. Shredding them to make hash browns. People don't cook anymore. So if prepared potatoes are hard to find but bags of potatoes aren't, maybe it is time to cook and make your own. A lot of foods in the deep south are grown in Florida in the winter time, so we still have a good supply of fresh fruits and vegetables here. Also, we have more ports to unload from central and south America. I was driving to Mobile one year and there was were many name brand fruit trucks coming from the south going north out of Mobile. Chiquita banana trucks mostly, so I assume a banana boat arrived at Mobile from central America unloading. Docks on the west coast are limited to only about 4 ports, Seatle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. Far more ports on the east coast and Gulf coast to bring in stuff from Central and South America, especialy fruits and vegetables. Every state on the east has at least one port. Some are small, but the fruit and vegetable ships are smaller than the large cargo container ships and can silp into ports that have a shallow draft. Seatle is set up to export timber and coal, more so than container cargo, so you have that. Big cities up north are the ones who will have more empty shelves. Shorter delivery times from southern farms and port cities and faster turn arounds so they get served first. The south also has lower gasoline and fuel costs due to shorter shipping distances from the Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana oil and gas fields.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I went to WM this morning. No WM brand dry cat food...I feed it to the outside cats...of any kind/shape/size. The other dry cat foods weren't bare, but not full either. Sparse in the canned cat food department. Pork section of the meat aisle was 90% empty, rest of the meat aisle looked fine. Pasta aisle was also 90% empty, still no saltine crackers except the wheat variety.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
I went to WM this morning. No WM brand dry cat food...I feed it to the outside cats...of any kind/shape/size. The other dry cat foods weren't bare, but not full either. Sparse in the canned cat food department. Pork section of the meat aisle was 90% empty, rest of the meat aisle looked fine. Pasta aisle was also 90% empty, still no saltine crackers except the wheat variety.
Phil I feed a colony of feral at the office building. I have found the best price is Tractor Supply. I get their large Meow Mix for $20

·
Indefatigable
22,059 Posts
We just finished this months supply trip, only one item on our list was unavailable at 2 different stores - cans of Dole pineapple juice. I setteled for frozen. Hubby bought saltines, I didn't see the aisle but I'm sure he would have complained if they didn't have his brand. We bought our usual brand of dry cat food, but had to go with a new brand of litter that was the same price. The wet shelves were a little sparse but not empty, it could be people were stocking up in anticipation of a shortage. The price for fiber/probiotic gummies had increase by over a dollar and there was no generic nose spray, we had to pay for a national brand.
The third stop was the butcher who was having a sale and we bought; 10 lbs of drumsticks .49lb, 3 whole pork loins 2.29lb, 3 round steaks 4.99lb, 2 pork shoulders 2.99lb and chuck roasts 4.99lb. The only thing missing from his case was oxtail, you have to get there before 9 if you want any, that's nothing new.
Overall the price of a supply run is up @ 8%.

Reactions: NyteOwl

·
Registered
15,609 Posts
We got a bonus here in Kalifornia on January 16, 2020, we sent our most qualified senator to Washington to help out with all the supply chain problems.
How's that been working?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Phil I feed a colony of feral at the office building. I have found the best price is Tractor Supply. I get their large Meow Mix for $20
I've tried the even cheaper than WM brand cat food that I can get at Atwoods....cats won't touch it. raccoons and possums will eat it, cats won't. I always keep a stock of cat food...I still have 3 and a half 35 pound bags.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My wife and I are retired and were traveling around a bit before Covid. We found that beef was cheaper in Texas. We also found that pork was cheaper in North Carolina. This was visiting the local grocery stores. We usually stay at an Air B&B, so we sometime have to buy things to fix to eat where we stay. I say this to say a lot of things are cheaper or more plentiful locally. We live near a large pecan orchard company about 30 miles away. About 100 miles away they grow a lot of peaches, south of us a lot of peanuts. It also seems that any processed foods are more in short supply than raw foods. Like potatoes over packaged frozen French fries, or mashed potato flakes. Maybe flour over breads, and breads over crackers. More bumps in the system because of covid and labor supply issues with people being out sick and having to stay home. It is seriously time to start growing our own vegetables. Prepping should have already been done. My wife and I might can last 3-6 months with the supplies we have, maybe longer if we stretch it. Hope you guys are more prepared. I want to be able to go 2 years if possible. Most canned goods can go that long.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
just got back from walmart shopping.

plenty of frozen potato's
baking potato's 10lb bag on sale half price $2.48 a bag.

plenty of canned cat food, but some open shelf space.
plenty of dairy
all vegetables/fruits fully stocked
plenty of beef, pork, chicken, I didn't see any leftover ham or turkeys.
plenty of eggs.
plenty of paper products.

basically there were no shortages again this week of anything that I could determine.

but still, FJB.
What area are you in or does your info apply nationwide?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
What area are you in or does your info apply nationwide?
west MI. people in the pacific NW seem to be panicking the most. we are not seeing anything like what other areas are. just sharing.

I notice a lot of folks on other threads only shop 1 store and if it is out of something it is doomsday.

I shop a handfull of stores on my usual route. certain things are cheaper, or better quality or whatever in certain places and there is redundancy.

If Walmart is out, Meijer will have it. start with the cheap grocery outlets and move up to the more expensive ones, buy at the cheapest place first.

it's a strategy and how I keep my grocery costs so low.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I know canned goods can go longer, but they loose their vitamins after 2 years. So shoot for a 2 year rotation. I have eated green beans that were 5 years over the date and they were still good. Tomato products, you can hang up after 2 years as they turn dark and acidic.

·
Registered
577 Posts
west MI. people in the pacific NW seem to be panicking the most. we are not seeing anything like what other areas are. just sharing.

I notice a lot of folks on other threads only shop 1 store and if it is out of something it is doomsday.

I shop a handfull of stores on my usual route. certain things are cheaper, or better quality or whatever in certain places and there is redundancy.

If Walmart is out, Meijer will have it. start with the cheap grocery outlets and move up to the more expensive ones, buy at the cheapest place first.

it's a strategy and how I keep my grocery costs so low.
I didn't know about the rest of the Pacific NW, but Washington State is fine. I'm in the Seattle Tacoma area, Brother in Shelton, Brother in Blane, Daughter in Central Washington, Friends in Walla Walla. No one is having any trouble. There was a three day period during a snow storm that tightened up things for a bit for the entire State (all passes were closed for 5 days). Otherwise I've been able to get a anything I wanted / needed.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I didn't know about the rest of the Pacific NW, but Washington State is fine. I'm in the Seattle Tacoma area, Brother in Shelton, Brother in Blane, Daughter in Central Washington, Friends in Walla Walla. No one is having any trouble. There was a three day period during a snow storm that tightened up things for a bit for the entire State (all passes were closed for 5 days). Otherwise I've been able to get a anything I wanted / needed.
yeah that's what everyone was overreacting about. glad to hear things are better.

now, on to the Canadian Truckers and Railway Strike for the win!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Most of my Walmart shopping has been pick up orders but the other day I went in to do my shopping. The milk was almost empty, no lunchmeat, only had about 5 boxes of saltines, chip area very low and TP area was low but had some stock. I did not need any of these items but was not able to increase my cold medicine stock as they were wiped clean. Still no oil for the truck. :(

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Most of my Walmart shopping has been pick up orders but the other day I went in to do my shopping. The milk was almost empty, no lunchmeat, only had about 5 boxes of saltines, chip area very low and TP area was low but had some stock. I did not need any of these items but was not able to increase my cold medicine stock as they were wiped clean. Still no oil for the truck. :(
there was a driver shortage. that has been remedied. cough syrup will be on the shelves everywhere soon. all the backlog got shipped. it is cold/flu season, buy your cough syrup in the summer or fall if you can. we go through this evey year.

121 - 140 of 200 Posts