Survivalist Forum banner
101 - 120 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most of this is Covid related; widespread worker shortages up and down the supply chain, here and abroad. In 6-8 weeks all the unvaxed will have been infected (plus many of the vaxed/boosted, but few of those will have been ill). Things will start to settle, but the weather-related crop failures will have extended effects and there’s likely to be more of that every year going forward. FWIW, I’m in Portland OR and I’ve seen little to no decline in quantity/quality of grocery offerings at Safeway, New Seasons, and (rarely) Whole Foods. Yesterday I went out to get some stuff for my own birthday dinner; got some nice fresh shrimp, couple of steaks, mini Yukon Gold potatoes, nice asparagus; only item absent was fresh dill. I’m aware that circumstances may change, and I’m OK with rice and beans and grains of which I have a few hundred pounds on hand. Need to stock up on beer and vodka.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I posted earlier in the thread about going to WM and not being able to find crackers. Yesterday I went to the other real...meaning not the one or two mom & pop stores left...chain grocery store here. I actually wasn't looking for crackers, but decided to check as long as I was there. Same thing I experienced at WM....no saltine crackers, very little in the chips department, plenty of like Ritz/Club crackers. So the chips/cracker shortage must be more than just a WM thing.
Also, don't overlook ethnic groceries. There is a Persian grocery near me; it is never short of anything, and prices for most of the things I buy there (olive oil, yogurt, certain specialty products) are actually cheaper than they are at regular grocery stores. The olive oil is of much better quality, not adulterated....good stuff from Syria and Lebanon. I'll never buy olive oil at Wal-Mart again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I live in Central KY and the only things I've noticed to be consistently short here have been wet cat food and certain cleaning products (especially paper towels). Most foods are still available, just at much higher prices than they were two years ago....and there are fewer sales or specials, especially on meats. My wife says that soups and broths have been in short supply, but I don't buy those so I hadn't noticed.

We have three vegetable gardens and three fruit trees, and our neighbors on both sides raise chickens and share the eggs with us. If I could find places to hunt, I'd be pretty content.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Same boat, no matter how much I eat I am stuck in my weight class. Good news is my metabolism is controlled. I can handle very hot and very cold with ease, I just have to modify my caloric intake and don't really feel the temp issues. I can gorge for days, or fast for days, and my body is very quick to react and adapt. God made us all different, and some of us are just stuck with the ability to rapidly convert food to fat, and fat to energy. Bad news is we'll starve quickly if we don't plan ahead...
I can handle the Heat but Cold and I don't get along. Today mid to high 40's I had on 6 layers of clothing. two being 100%wool. I normally have on three to four layers

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Also, don't overlook ethnic groceries. There is a Persian grocery near me; it is never short of anything, and prices for most of the things I buy there (olive oil, yogurt, certain specialty products) are actually cheaper than they are at regular grocery stores. The olive oil is of much better quality, not adulterated....good stuff from Syria and Lebanon. I'll never buy olive oil at Wal-Mart again.
The closest ethnic grocery store to me is at least 100 miles away.

I would go to one. Went to one in Dallasish with a friend who is of Afghan decent. Some really good stuff, but too far away.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
In the big Walmart, the neighborhood walmart and in several other grocery stores pasta is pretty low. Big gaps on the shelves. This is just west of Portlandia. The condiments and soups all have been condensed into smaller sections as well. The Mac n cheese section of the Walmarts is empty. Walmart used to carry a ton of Mac n cheese. Plenty of other big gaps on the shelves too. The Walmart local market by me just finished reducing the store size. They turned about 25% of the store into back room space and condensed the floor plan. They kept the wide aisles which is nice but they reduced the number of aisles overall. If they didn't, there would likely be a large amount of empty shelving which is probably not a look they want. Inventory levels are dropping on many lines. On the other hand, the Costco's by me have been doing pretty well with their stock levels. They're a bit of a different animal though.

·
I am interrogative, yes.
2,611 Posts
Also, don't overlook ethnic groceries.
We have several large Asian grocery stores (my Chinese housemate loves them) that are good for many different kinds of cuisines. They also have awesome produce sections.

There is a Persian grocery near me
Make sure you know who owns it and where that money goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How many in here know how to really tell Organic compared to Non Organic in fruits and some produce.
I used to do IT work in an grocery store that is one of Whole Foods competitors. I can tell you for a fact that there is zero difference between Organic and regular on their bananas and vine tomatoes . They come out of the exact same case, and the organic sticker is applied in The store just before going on to the display.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I used to do IT work in an grocery store that is one of Whole Foods competitors. I can tell you for a fact that there is zero difference between Organic and regular on their bananas and vine tomatoes . They come out of the exact same case, and the organic sticker is applied in The store just before going on to the display.
company I used to work for owned the organic farms in WA where the ingredients came from. they took the first cut, the balance was sold by the Farm Managers as whatever they could get for it, calling organic or not, even though all bugs were picked off by hand by migrants. which is all organic means, no pesticides, bugs are picked off by hand...

so yeah, nor surprise it came out of the same case.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wife went to our local Kroger's early this morning. Her report:
No potatoes.
No soup or noodles.
Produce thin.
Wet cat food selection very thin.
Spiral-cut ham advertised the day before, in their flyer, for 49 cents/pound, was nowhere to be found.
No seltzers.

Spent $120 on four plastic bags of groceries, nothing of which was exotic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No potatoes.
No soup or noodles.
Produce thin.
Spiral-cut ham advertised the day before, in their flyer, for 49 cents/pound, was nowhere to be found.
No seltzers.

Last week I went to Walmart to pick up some groceries. Bought only the basics.. it was 140 dollars and I carried it all into the house in 1 trip :( I think there was 5 small bags of stuff. Those same groceries cost me roughly 80 dollars a few years ago. 😔 (PA)

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
^^^ Ours wasn't that sparse yesterday but It was short a few items and double of other to fill in the Missing Stuff space

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I know many people who are triple jabbed that have gotten sick with Omicron along with the un-jabbed. I'm in suburban Philly and I expect pretty much everyone to get it.

There has been little difference in how severe it is among the two groups. Actually a number of the vaccinated crew is ANGRY that they got sick, and eve ANGRIER than people they know who weren't weren't very sick at all.

Every thing I've read said we are likely all going to get Omicron, even if we are jabbed.

Most of this is Covid related; widespread worker shortages up and down the supply chain, here and abroad. In 6-8 weeks all the unvaxed will have been infected (plus many of the vaxed/boosted, but few of those will have been ill). Things will start to settle, but the weather-related crop failures will have extended effects and there’s likely to be more of that every year going forward. FWIW, I’m in Portland OR and I’ve seen little to no decline in quantity/quality of grocery offerings at Safeway, New Seasons, and (rarely) Whole Foods. Yesterday I went out to get some stuff for my own birthday dinner; got some nice fresh shrimp, couple of steaks, mini Yukon Gold potatoes, nice asparagus; only item absent was fresh dill. I’m aware that circumstances may change, and I’m OK with rice and beans and grains of which I have a few hundred pounds on hand. Need to stock up on beer and vodka.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
To me some of the best 'ethnic' groceries around me are the Amish stores!

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Were are you? I'm in suburban Philly and got 10 pounds of russet potatoes for $3 and Progresso soup for $1 a can and stocked up on the large cans of tomatoes for 12/$8.

Chicken & beef looked good, where as on Tuesday the chicken was pretty empty.

No potatoes.
No soup or noodles.
Produce thin.
No seltzers.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
As said most is covid related, but it is also the Biden administration is causing a lot of the problems. Not solving the trucker problem in California. California won't allow any diesel trucks made before 2013 to operate in their state. Trucks not only carry cargo containers from China but fruits and vegetables. California supplies about 40% of the nations vegetables. Then you have the 60-40 split with 60% of food packaged for restaurants and cafeterias vs 40% for home consumers. More people are working from home, or staying home because of covid, or just plain not working. Demand for home packaged foods have been high. I have bought 15 dozen eggs from Sam's in a box because the regular eggs were out. They will last about 3 months before going bad. Food processors and packagers haven't retooled for making consumer sized packages, hoping covid will go away and things get back to normal. This is the real problem. I am seriously thinking about terracing a sunny hill on my property and doing a garden this year. I've done them before but we put in a pool and the rest of my back yard has trees. Side yard is a hill on the south side of the house.

101 - 120 of 200 Posts