Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was pretty damn good take on things..

Initial food instability signs in the supply chain. Things to look for:

(1) A shortage of processed potatoes (frozen specifically).

And/Or a shortage of the ancillary products that are derivates of, or normally include, potatoes.

(2) A larger than usual footprint of turkey in the supermarket (last line of protein).

(3) A noticeable increase in the price of citrus products.

(4) A sparse distribution of foodstuffs that rely on flavorings.

(5) The absence of non-seasonal products.

(6) Little to no price difference on the organic comparable (diff supply chain)

(7) Unusual country of origin for fresh product type.

(8) Absence of large container products

(9) Shortage of any ordinary but specific grain derivative item (ex. wheat crackers)

(10) Big brand shortage.

(11) Shortage of wet pet foods

(12) Shortage of complex blended products with multiple ingredients (soups etc)

(13) A consistent shortage of milk products and/or ancillaries.

These notes above are all precursors that show significant stress in the supply chain. Once these issues are consistently visible, we are going to descend into food instability very quickly, sector by sector, category by category.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
(2) A larger than usual footprint of turkey in the supermarket (last line of protein).
(7) Unusual country of origin for fresh product type.
(10) Big brand shortage. Store branded food has been nonexistent
(12) Shortage of complex blended products with multiple ingredients (soups etc) Unknown we don't buy a lot of this.
So out of your list I am not really seeing these four issues. The rest have been common here in my area. The caveat with number 10 is that there has been a real shortage of store brand foods across the board.

·
Cross-eyed Target Shooter
1,510 Posts
OK ... So there is this ........

1. Shortage of instant mashed potatoes (processed potato product) for a couple of months now.
2. Still seeing more than usual turkeys in stores and it is now January 2022. Been that way since Thanksgiving 2021.
3. Both fresh citrus and citrus juice products have jumped over 25% in my AO in the past 3 months also w/shortages.
4. Has been going on for over 4 months.
5. Several "year round" products are no longer in stock. (cleaning, certain foods, seasonings, etc.)
6. Can't address this as I don't buy "organic" (too expensive normally)
7. Strange new countries of origin for things now like TP, Laundry soap, Canned foods, etc.
8. Large containers of things like laundry soap, cereal, crackers, etc are no longer on the shelves for almost 3 months.
9. Several national brands of crackers are no longer on the shelves such as Goldfish, Saltines, Wheat Thins.
10. Some of the traditional brands of things have disappeared, Ginger Ale, Laundry products, and Cleaning products.
11. There hasn't been ANY wet cat food in my area (or 50 mi. around) for over 2 months now. 11a.Dry food is also scarce.
12. Soups are hit & miss and prices have increased over 30% and supply is spotty.
13. Essentially down to one brand of fresh milk (store brand) and it spoils quickly. I suspect re-dating of the products.

Many times products are just not there for weeks at a time. Many times I just drive longer distances or to multiple stores to find things normally available at the "Big Box" and "Chain" stores. This also applies to hard goods like paint, hardware (small stuff like fasteners), water filters, etc.. Auto parts are now getting progressively hard to find. (Oil filters, fuel filters, motor oil, additives,etc.) I bought earlier and in bulk so I am in fair shape for the moment.

I'm on the Eastern Seaboard, Mid-Atlantic, Tidewater Virginia and not "in the boonies" but somewhat rural. Not far from the National Supply Network for things.

Also, the U.S. Mail is now running over three times longer to even make local deliveries.

I would advise that preppers use this as a "final notice" to prep hard! It's not going to be better in 2022 and beyond!

Thank you, Washington, District of Criminals!

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Being that this is a national forum, it would be helpful if people would indicate what area or at least what region they are seeing the shortages in. Nobody wants your street address(the TPTB already has it), just an idea where something might be happening. Otherwise from the vagueness of the reports I see I would have to assume that a shortage of something must be nation wide. Come on people...

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
I can tell you that the Wet Pet food industry is having major issues. Lately there have been quite few recalls and they are from different MFG> Remember most Pet Foods are made by Co-Packers. Some of the better brands are having issues and have quit making their Lower Price brands in order to keep their High End Filled and they are still having issues keeps most flavors in stock. In fact they have quit make several flavors and are constricting slow movers and or making what really moves the most to keep them stocked.

I know the owner of couple of these non Cooperate stores and have discussed this as some of the stuff I buy, I now have to order a couple weeks ahead and ordering a couple months ahead. I have almost year supply of Pet Food Wet, I don't want to get into that unless it is necessary.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
How many in here know how to really tell Organic compared to Non Organic in fruits and some produce.

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw..im in the greater charlotte region, lots of infrastructure, major logistical transpo hub....i will have to check on these things, wifey does the majority of food shopping.....

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We still throw away half our food here in the US. I’m telling you, the fear many perpetuate here is far more harmful than the thing we fear, and is what has the potential to lead to longer term damage.
Sooo...you think this is fear mongering?

imo, it's called intel gathering and situational awareness, and if you have served in .mil you might have heard of it....if not, then your ignorance might be excused, though you do frequent a known survivalist/prepper forum, so the irony is strong....

Perhaps you should not read this article on truck stoppages either...

or this most awesome post from Bracken: WHEN THE MUSIC STOPS: HOW AMERICA'S CITIES MAY EXPLODE IN VIOLENCE - American Partisan

·
Cross-eyed Target Shooter
1,510 Posts
Sooo...you think this is fear mongering?

imo, it's called intel gathering and situational awareness, and if you have served in .mil you might have heard of it....if not, then your ignorance might be excused, though you do frequent a known survivalist/prepper forum, so the irony is strong....

Perhaps you should not read this article on truck stoppages either...

or this most awesome post from Bracken: WHEN THE MUSIC STOPS: HOW AMERICA'S CITIES MAY EXPLODE IN VIOLENCE - American Partisan
THIS GUY gets it!!!

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,407 Posts
I thought this was pretty damn good take on things..

Initial food instability signs in the supply chain. Things to look for:

(1) A shortage of processed potatoes (frozen specifically). Yes, scalloped potatoes ano frozen fries, hasbrowns.

And/Or a shortage of the ancillary products that are derivates of, or normally include, potatoes.

(2) A larger than usual footprint of turkey in the supermarket (last line of protein). Yes, but I see more Turkey breast than whole birds.

(3) A noticeable increase in the price of citrus products.

(4) A sparse distribution of foodstuffs that rely on flavorings.

(5) The absence of non-seasonal products.

(6) Little to no price difference on the organic comparable (diff supply chain)

(7) Unusual country of origin for fresh product type. Yes, seeing this more and more lately.

(8) Absence of large container products

(9) Shortage of any ordinary but specific grain derivative item (ex. wheat crackers)

(10) Big brand shortage.

(11) Shortage of wet pet foods yes, seeing this a lot more. Once shipments come in, they are picked clean within 24-hrs.

(12) Shortage of complex blended products with multiple ingredients (soups etc)

(13) A consistent shortage of milk products and/or ancillaries.

These notes above are all precursors that show significant stress in the supply chain. Once these issues are consistently visible, we are going to descend into food instability very quickly, sector by sector, category by category.
From Northern Virginia.

oh, and primers….those are extremely rare and if you find them hey will cost you…

·
Registered
97 Posts
OK ... So there is this ........

1. Shortage of instant mashed potatoes (processed potato product) for a couple of months now.
2. Still seeing more than usual turkeys in stores and it is now January 2022. Been that way since Thanksgiving 2021.
3. Both fresh citrus and citrus juice products have jumped over 25% in my AO in the past 3 months also w/shortages.
4. Has been going on for over 4 months.
5. Several "year round" products are no longer in stock. (cleaning, certain foods, seasonings, etc.)
6. Can't address this as I don't buy "organic" (too expensive normally)
7. Strange new countries of origin for things now like TP, Laundry soap, Canned foods, etc.
8. Large containers of things like laundry soap, cereal, crackers, etc are no longer on the shelves for almost 3 months.
9. Several national brands of crackers are no longer on the shelves such as Goldfish, Saltines, Wheat Thins.
10. Some of the traditional brands of things have disappeared, Ginger Ale, Laundry products, and Cleaning products.
11. There hasn't been ANY wet cat food in my area (or 50 mi. around) for over 2 months now. 11a.Dry food is also scarce.
12. Soups are hit & miss and prices have increased over 30% and supply is spotty.
13. Essentially down to one brand of fresh milk (store brand) and it spoils quickly. I suspect re-dating of the products.

Many times products are just not there for weeks at a time. Many times I just drive longer distances or to multiple stores to find things normally available at the "Big Box" and "Chain" stores. This also applies to hard goods like paint, hardware (small stuff like fasteners), water filters, etc.. Auto parts are now getting progressively hard to find. (Oil filters, fuel filters, motor oil, additives,etc.) I bought earlier and in bulk so I am in fair shape for the moment.

I'm on the Eastern Seaboard, Mid-Atlantic, Tidewater Virginia and not "in the boonies" but somewhat rural. Not far from the National Supply Network for things.

Also, the U.S. Mail is now running over three times longer to even make local deliveries.

I would advise that preppers use this as a "final notice" to prep hard! It's not going to be better in 2022 and beyond!

Thank you, Washington, District of Criminals!
Seeing the same in Northwest PA

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We still throw away half our food here in the US. I’m telling you, the fear many perpetuate here is far more harmful than the thing we fear, and is what has the potential to lead to longer term damage.
What does this have to do with empty shelves? It's not fear mongering. I am a regional distributor who delivers to Wal Mart, Safeway, several independents and Kroger and I can assure you this is very real.

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^^this right here...These folks keep is going, period, end of discussion...

Thanks mate....

I drove truck when i got of .mil, as i had my .mil license for heavy equipment, etc...

drove from sacto ca to brisbane ca 5x a week to deliver and pick up paper products...that was my 3rd shift job while i went to college...

1 - 20 of 167 Posts