Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Is the environment warmer in lower temps closer to running water, i.e. a river?
No.

Its exactly the opposite. Cold air is heavier and flows just like water, following canyons, river bottoms, etc. Near the river is usually the coldest place in an area. I'm up on a hill here and it often frosts a month earlier down by the river than it does up here.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is the environment warmer in lower temps closer to running water, i.e. a river?
No.

Its exactly the opposite. Cold air is heavier and flows just like water, following canyons, river bottoms, etc. Near the river is usually the coldest place in an area. I'm up on a hill here and it often frosts a month earlier down by the river than it does up here.
I would have you look at wind chill temps outside of the Valleys.

While you are not incorrect, you not 100% correct either. The answer to the OP's question is bases on more information than what is provided.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
We live in a river valley with part of the farm up on the bluffs above. MOST of the time it is 3 to 10 degrees cooler than up on the hill.... but occasionally in winter it will be 3 to 5 degrees warmer.. .rare though.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Personally I would be somewhere between the top of the hill and the bottom of the valley. Bottom has the cold sink down and also holds the cold longer. Top of the hill maybe warmer but also has more wind. More wind in the summer is nice but the winter it can take cold to deadly cold. The middle, while not best, is better than the alternatives at my location.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I would have you look at wind chill temps outside of the Valleys.

While you are not incorrect, you not 100% correct either. The answer to the OP's question is bases on more information than what is provided.
Wind chill is the same everywhere.
It's a matter of wind speed and humidity, not location or elevation.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,784 Posts
The amount of water in most rivers is not enough to warm the air around it like an ocean does.
The great lakes moderate air temps, but even think the Mississippi river is big enough to do much.

Otoh, cold air will deffinitely sink to the lowest area, and can follow a deep river gorge.
So many times a river is the coldest place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts