Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an affinity for 1960s era vehicles, but literally no experience with them. I've got an opportunity to get a 1966 restored/modified Chevy C30. From pictures and sellers information, it appears nice and overall 8 out of 10 for mechanical, interior, exterior, and electrical with no major known issues. It is NOT original. I'm not a collector but looking for high build quality, reliability, function, fun, and something that is "classic" even if not original.

I'd like to get something of this era that is mechanically simple, and very attractive. This might be it. I won't disclose the price but it seems very fairly priced.

It has a rebuilt 1966 Corvette 350 engine the seller claims runs excellent. It's paired with a 4 speed manual on the floor. He suspects it's about 250hp and 280 torque. The engine has a single hump, but he says he has the double that is easy to install for a little more power (I am not a mechanic, can anyone explain this?)

It has had light body work, repainted and clear coat, rust portions in the floor board cut out and new plates professionally welded in, new carpet with soundproofing. Interior is mostly metal, no plastics, and sounds like significantly repaint. New seat cushions and materials. Bed is entirely diamond plated, painted, with tool box.

It looks really nice, and I'll know more when I see it soon. But before investing a lot of time, can anyone offer me good advice on this era of truck, this year/model truck, anything to look for?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Do you know any history on it?

Are they advertising it as a resto mod or that’s what you want? Usually upgrades/modernization in electrical, suspension, steering, drivetrain, brakes, etc would be involved for a “restomod”

What state is it currently in ans what states has it been in if you know?

What mileage on truck and has it rolled?

The C30 should be a long bed and possibly a camper version with extension. Post a photo.

Is the gas tank still in the factory location?

All the glass good?

the 66 has some very susceptible places for rust, and worse/better in some parts of the country than others.

Feel free to PM me about the price. Can help there too or even send me the listing to check out. Half my work life is this topic

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know any history on it?

Are they advertising it as a resto mod or that’s what you want? Usually upgrades/modernization in electrical, suspension, steering, drivetrain, brakes, etc would be involved for a “restomod”

What state is it currently in ans what states has it been in if you know?

What mileage on truck and has it rolled?

The C30 should be a long bed and possibly a camper version with extension. Post a photo.

Is the gas tank still in the factory location?

All the glass good?

the 66 has some very susceptible places for rust, and worse/better in some parts of the country than others.

Feel free to PM me about the price. Can help there too or even send me the listing to check out. Half my work life is this topic
PM sent

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have an affinity for 1960s era vehicles, but literally no experience with them. I've got an opportunity to get a 1966 restored/modified Chevy C30. From pictures and sellers information, it appears nice and overall 8 out of 10 for mechanical, interior, exterior, and electrical with no major known issues. It is NOT original. I'm not a collector but looking for high build quality, reliability, function, fun, and something that is "classic" even if not original.

I'd like to get something of this era that is mechanically simple, and very attractive. This might be it. I won't disclose the price but it seems very fairly priced.

It has a rebuilt 1966 Corvette 350 engine the seller claims runs excellent. It's paired with a 4 speed manual on the floor. He suspects it's about 250hp and 280 torque. The engine has a single hump, but he says he has the double that is easy to install for a little more power (I am not a mechanic, can anyone explain this?)

It has had light body work, repainted and clear coat, rust portions in the floor board cut out and new plates professionally welded in, new carpet with soundproofing. Interior is mostly metal, no plastics, and sounds like significantly repaint. New seat cushions and materials. Bed is entirely diamond plated, painted, with tool box.

It looks really nice, and I'll know more when I see it soon. But before investing a lot of time, can anyone offer me good advice on this era of truck, this year/model truck, anything to look for?
I have a 72 GMC K15, I think is the model. 350, 4 speed, 4 wheel drive. It’s a great truck. Mines a half ton, but I drove across town with 1700 pounds of gravel in the bed once. Four inch lift, 35 inch tires. I can almost sit up underneath it if I have to work on it. Power steering, but power nothing else. I can fix it myself if I need to. Easy to fix almost anything on it. 350 parts are everywhere. There are companies that can sell you every part you would need to build your own Chevy or GMC truck, if you already had a frame.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
"It has a rebuilt 1966 Corvette 350 engine the seller claims runs excellent. It's paired with a 4 speed manual on the floor. He suspects it's about 250hp and 280 torque. The engine has a single hump, but he says he has the double that is easy to install for a little more power (I am not a mechanic, can anyone explain this?)"

This refers to a head design. One is better than the other from a flow perspective. More flow equals more power potential. The older small engines are pretty idiot proof and that sounds about right on HP but a little low on torque typically made but there are several engine components that can effect your torque levels. If the 4 speed is a Muncie "Rock Crusher" thats freaking awesome!!!

For what its worth there is a reason I am driving a 1989 Silverado with a 5 speed Stick and 1992 Camaro 4 speed Auto still to this day. Might sell the 92 and focus on the truck for a resto mod with a slightly older engine and no electronics although a 5.3 LS is very tempting instead. But I am a simple kinda guy and I like simple kinda things. Less crap to break and easier to fix when it does.

If the price is reasonable and its a quality Resto I would pounce on it like a big hairy Mongoose stalking his prey! I just hate that they hadnt invented extended cabs back then...

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
BTW...the prices on Chevy OBS trucks (Older Body Style 1995 and older), especially the pre 88 models are bringing premium prices that grow by the day it seems. Take good care of it and if you can keep from getting in a wreck it will last you a life time!!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
The C30 (1 Ton) make good work trucks, if it's a 66 Corvette motor it would be a 327 w/350 HP. The 350 didn't come out until 1967 worth checking the engine ID, I have a 63 C10 (1/2 Ton) and it's been a workhorse since 1968 when my wife's dad bought it and used it until 2000 it didn't have a easy life....I have it now and doing a frame off and going with a 350 and auto it'll have an easier life.
Anyhow this may help answer some of your questions and post some pictures:

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
The engine has a single hump, but he says he has the double that is easy to install for a little more power (I am not a mechanic, can anyone explain this?)
Double hump heads are referred to as camelbacks. They are a very rare find and adds oodles of power to and engine. Guys would port and polish them and getting even more power from them. If you buy the truck, Do not pass up those heads, they are worth money!

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be clear I'm not actively shopping for this, it was offered to me in trade for something I have of value. I'm trying to learn about this era of C30 trucks, build quality, known problems, etc. with the vehicle, popularity and potential for future popularity, etc. I realize this is really really old, been thru a lot of work, etc. but I'm in the "learning about it" phase. This appears to have a very nice diamond plated flat bed and duelly rears.

Some folks have told me the engine cannot be accurate, the 66 Corvettes had only 327 and 427 options. So I'm not sure if the owner is unclear or I'm unclear... I'm awaiting more info from him.

This would be a nostalgia piece, cruise around in a cool old truck, run in parades, go to car shows, etc. It's possible it could be called into "truck duty" from time to time as well. These seem like real workhorse trucks for their day, is that a fair assessment?

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to learn what gearing it has, I suspect it's 2wd from someone telling me all C series were 2wd, and that's perfectly fine for me. I need to learn what is original and what is not, as another friend said to be careful on making sure the axels are correct. I'm not sure why they would be incorrect, but I guess that's on my list of what to look for. Rust, also.

I am of the mindset with the amount of work the owner claims to have put into it, I would venture a fair guess or assumption that it has good structure to begin with. Would someone go thru significant cost/investment/time if the truck was a good foundation to invest in? Seems to me a waste of time/resources. Is that a fair assessment?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Seems to me a waste of time/resources.
Any investment in a classic car will be a money pit. You will never get out of what you put into it. You’re doing it for the love and enjoyment of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts