Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed from reading many articles on bullet proof vests made of Kevlar that the moisture of sweating and acids in the skin could effect the life of the vest one is wearing and I remember that many people use silicone or teflon water proofing to prevent water from effecting jackets socks or shoes etc

So I went out to find a good quality water proofing teflon , the good stuff has no sticky feel to it after it sets , I also looked into many reviews to gauge which spray would be best for this

G-96 Fabric Waterproofing Aerosol Spray
http://www.boatmartusa.com/products/G96-Fab%7B47%7DWaterprf15.7Floz.html

Revivex Air Dry Water Repellent Spray - 5 oz
http://www.campsaver.com/air-dry-waterproofing-spray-5oz

the question is would this harm the bullet proof vest or damage it in any ways? has anyone tried this yet? Ive read that Kevlar absorbs what it is exposed to somewhat so im still hesitant to test this yet.

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
I would be very careful with this approach. Teflon coated bullets have a tendency to penetrate better. You could prolong the life of your vest and cut yours short :eek:

Pull the shoot pack and wrap it in plastic or better yet GoreTex.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You definitely bring up a good point, Im wondering if only the inner layer wouldn't wick the spray deep through it ruining the vest shelf life if it does wick it in then that would be very dangerous and have to many variables to survival id imagine , without an expert im not going to do it just yet, it would be good if such tests papers were scientifically available, I doubt id find it though since most science pages expect you to pay *unreasonable sums* to access the info for their field tests pdf files. so it is hard to find free info these days

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
Some vests have goretex outer covering on the panels. The plastic bag aproach has been used for a long time by SEALs and Recon Marines when diving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im currently looking into sprays from company's like Grangers, Nikwax, McNett, Trek7 to see if they have anything in them that would weaken it. I know that heat treatments that bind the goretex have a potential of damage to the kevlar, also im wondering about the storage in a humid environment and how despite the current methods the humidity could effect the life of the materials

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
With modern body armor in the US you wont have as much problem With the outer shell, and good cleaning you will be ok unless you are doing a daily wear kinda thing. All of this will break down over time if exposed to constant heat, sunlight etc, but it will take a good 5-10 years to degrade much, and even then the 5 year mark seems to be heavy use armor. I wont speculate on this as I am not in the field of body armor, but as long as it is kevlar based (not Z something they use to add in with the kevlar) I would be willing to wear it well into a decade after and feel relatively safe. That said I don't see myself wearing it enough to break it down fast.

I would be very careful with this approach. Teflon coated bullets have a tendency to penetrate better. You could prolong the life of your vest and cut yours short :eek:

Pull the shoot pack and wrap it in plastic or better yet GoreTex.
That is a urban legend brought out by gun grabbers to get rid of the evil Ranger STX rounds, I mean the "EVIL EVIL COP KILLING BLACK TALLON ROUNDS."

Don't believe everything you read on the internet or you are gonna end up looking like one of those guys who doesn't know what a heat shield is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts