Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped one of the kids make this for school. During my research, I learnt they make a pretty good shelter.

Any body have any experience with one?

Attachments

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
We had to build one and sleep in it while I was in the scouts. It wasn't that bad. Only tent i now of (besides military or expedition ones) that allow you to have a fire inside the tent. Depending upon size yu can get 2 or 3 people in one, as well as all your gear. Just make sure you have a bedroll as you are directly on the ground. Which also allows some creepy crawlings to come in. Held up against rain and cold. So all in all was nice, but not easily transportable for backpackers like me.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Back in the 70's, a friend lived in one for years. It was double lined in a way that aloud the rain to run down the poles and out of the tent into a rain ditch and away from the teepee.

She had a fire inside during the winter and cooked outside during the warm days. She owned a couple of acres way back in the mountains. She was pitched in the fork of a creek. She raised chickens and a few goats and a big beautiful garden. She was vegetarian and did rather well for herself.

For the several years that I knew her she was very happy with her life style.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I spent several nights in the summer and the winter in one. They are real nice during the winter weather warm and dry with a fire on the inside.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,307 Posts
I spent a weekend in one when I was in the Boy Scouts, it was great until it rained. We didn't have much water coming in from the top but it had been built at the bottom of a hill and after twenty minutes we had a small river running through our teepee, it put out our fire and then we were wet, cold (it was mid fall and around 40 degrees) and had to eat cold beans and hotdogs. Our Scout Master thought it was funny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts