Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself an expert on runoff and would like to share my experiences surviving minor flooding.

First and foremost you should stay as dry as possible. Many times minor flooding will create an air of havoc among the general populace. However, since it's minor there's not much to worry about. Feelings of dampness can lead to a state of induced anxiety, so avoid this at all costs.

I tend to find that most uneducated in the subject consider water to be the greatest threat during a minor flood. However, reckless human behavior is typically more deadly than the water itself.

A minor flood is defined as any minor deluge where water levels rise between 1 to 3 inches above mean water level. As you can see, this is not a lot of water. However, you should avoid direct contact with the water as it is typically wet.

Furthermore, you should exercise caution when attempting to use flood water as a potable water source. Many times minor floods will increase water levels thus prompting the survivalist to consider "tapping" in to the bountiful resource. However, great care should be exercised in avoiding twigs and other debris found in the water.

In a minor flood survival situation, ample game & food sources should be available. The excess water will draw animals closer to your location. You will then be able to trap or hunt as normal.

I will be happy to answer any questions regarding minor floods. I feel this is a topic that deserves further and greater understanding.

Gary

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
How would you go about surviving a flood like this? When these pictures were taken, the flood water had gone down about 7 feet. These pictures were also taken in Bridge City, Texas. So everyone can find the area, the zip code is 77611.

What types of diseases could we expect to see from these types of flood waters? The water was pushed in from a local marsh by hurricane Ike. What types of animals could we expect to see in the water and even in peoples houses?

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is more along the lines of a major flood, not my area of specialty.

In a minor flood you would expect to see minor damage to gardens, shrubs and possibly driveways / sidewalks. In my experience I have typically encountered flotsum and jetsum in minor floods. Many minnows and small crayfish.

Minor flooding is really more of a danger than major flooding. The book of John says "Ye who perish shall be from the deluge of the creek". To me that means a minor flood not something from a hurricane.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have been through 1 large flood, if you call the water reaching the bottom edge on stop signs and several smaller ones where I live now.
My preps are to keep everything off the basement floor , Our washer, dryer and freezers are sitting on pallets to keep them out of the water.
Keep 3 -1200 gph pumps and the generator handy to pump out the basement when the need occurs.
..........................Alaskan.....Dennis........

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Noah... how long can you tread water?

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
I've been in several minor floods in the Bootheel of Missouri. You need to watch for wild animals seeking the same high ground you are on. In that area, of particular danger were cotton mouth snakes. Aggressive anyway, the floods seemed to make them more so, unlike many of the animals that just wanted out of the water, and stayed as far from each other and humans as possible. Not true with pet dogs that were turned out to fend on their own, however. They wanted right in the middle of things. I kept a frog gig for Less than lethal use against the animals, though it could be, and was, used to dispatch snakes.

As to using the water, good filters or boiling will clean up somethings. The big danger, after human waste contamination, is petroleum products escaping from vehicles and stationary tanks. I don't know of a filter that does a good job of removing them from the water in a pocket filter size. You can minimize the effect by having the intake of your filter well below the surface, where most of the petroleum products float, but well above the bottom, where other things tend to accumulate.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I consider myself an expert on runoff and would like to share my experiences surviving minor flooding.

Feelings of dampness can lead to a state of induced anxiety, so avoid this at all costs.

However, you should avoid direct contact with the water as it is typically wet.

However, great care should be exercised in avoiding twigs and other debris found in the water.
Sniff. Sniff.
smell a troll.jpg

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just because someone's comments seem "off the cuff" or unusual to you, doesn't necessarily mean I'm a troll.

Maybe I'm asking stupid questions to you. If so, that's your opinion. I'm not starting fights or being an arse. If you don't like my questions, I'm sorry.

I feel I have legitimate questions & concerns. I would like to raise them with like minded individuals, that's all.

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

an Ozark mountain daredevil?

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
i got one...when a firefighter tells u it's not safe to drive down that way...don't just look at them and keep driving.....in 06 ...i was on duty for 72 hours non stop....and some guy drove right into a lake of water....that once was a parking lot...now it was a 7 foot tall lake.....i was not happy about this....as we got out to the car and pulled the guy into the boat...my friend asked him "So....Who's the U-Boat capt. " LOL...i just about crapped my bunker gear...i'll never forget that night

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got one...when a firefighter tells u it's not safe to drive down that way...don't just look at them and keep driving.....in 06 ...i was on duty for 72 hours non stop....and some guy drove right into a lake of water....that once was a parking lot...now it was a 7 foot tall lake.....i was not happy about this....as we got out to the car and pulled the guy into the boat...my friend asked him "So....Who's the U-Boat capt. " LOL...i just about crapped my bunker gear...i'll never forget that night
lol

minor flooding isn't as likely to produce those results, but i agree with you. it's a great danger that should be taken seriously.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Never,ever ASS-U-ME that theres a road still under that floodwater.
If you are in flood prone areas,ALWAYS carry length of quality nylon or polypro line and a throw-able flotation device tied to it.Polypros benefit is its usually bright colored and floats.And it doesn't lose it tensile strength when wet.(nylon does)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts