Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a CETME that is unbelievably accurate but something's odd. After about 40 rounds, I started picking up the brass and noticed it was mangling the mouth of the casing and zebra striping the whole thing. From what I could tell it seems to be a head spacing issue but I figured I'd ask here.

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
That is completely normal for a CETME or an HK. The chamber is ribbed to assist in extraction which causes the impressions on the brass. The mouths dent because of the violent ejection bangs the end of the brass against the ejection port. No worries just a pain when you reload.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Thanks SARDOG...only thing I ever disliked about mine is where the charging handle is located.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is completely normal for a CETME or an HK. The chamber is ribbed to assist in extraction which causes the impressions on the brass. The mouths dent because of the violent ejection bangs the end of the brass against the ejection port. No worries just a pain when you reload.
So the mangling of the brass is normal but what about the striping from gases going back around the outside of the brass? Like I said, the rifle seems to shoot fine so if this is a characteristic of the rifle, I can accept that. Just seems very strange to me.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I believe the striping your are seeing on you brass is from the "ribs" in the chamber as mentioned above. It's normal.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Thanks guys. You saved me being without the rifle for a couple of weeks for no reason.
Hey, you got a cetme and your in upstate new york? Where'd you buy that thing? No dealers around me sell any Ak's, cetme's, m14's, nothing decent.

What county/area you in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
check shotgun news. They just started selling them in there again but for a bit more than what they originally hit the market for. I think you can pick them up for $600 and as for the "striping" you refer to it is due to the fluted chamber. Perfectly normal.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Hey, you got a cetme and your in upstate new york? Where'd you buy that thing? No dealers around me sell any Ak's, cetme's, m14's, nothing decent.

What county/area you in?
I'm in the Hudon Valley about an hour and a half north of NYC. CETME's tend to show up in the Mom and Pop gun stores from time to time. If you are anywhere near Dutchess County, Collector Rifle and Ammo in Hopewell Junction is a really good bet if you're into military style weapons.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
I'm in the Hudon Valley about an hour and a half north of NYC. CETME's tend to show up in the Mom and Pop gun stores from time to time. If you are anywhere near Dutchess County, Collector Rifle and Ammo in Hopewell Junction is a really good bet if you're into military style weapons.
Ah okay, im way upstate.. nothing good up here.

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
the CETME is a delayed blowback design. when the gun is fired, the rollers lock the bolt until pressure decreases and then the bolt is released. due to the high pressures involved, the chamber is fluted to ease extraction. the chamber flutes cause the striped brass.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dont worry its a very normal for a cetme to 'ding' the cases and as several people said the striping is due to the fluted chamber. Now the only quick fix I know about for the chamber is to use a 44cal bore brush and clean the chamber every now and again :)

I hope that helped a little :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts