Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need something that I can throw in the campfire to boil water that is strong and durable. Weight is not an issue. What do you all use?

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
This is what I use. Yes, I know it's from Wal-mart, but it works great. I usually only cook over the fire while camping. I can take the kettle and put it on top of two logs with some nice hot coals between them and let it get to a nice boil. I even bought the exact same kettle in blue with a peculator in it to make coffee for others and it work perfect every time.

·
Knowledge is Power
177 Posts
If you take a tea kettle and modify it with a copper coil attached to the steam outlet, then you can not only boil water, but you can distill it too by collecting the steam and letting it condense into another container.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
When alone I have a restauran sized, I think it's 10 oz., stainless tea pot. when with others I use a larger tea pot, up to a 1qt size. All stainless, no aluminum. I used to have aluminum teapots, but they wore out.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Kettle/Pot

I'm still partial to the old fashioned, western style, enamel ware coffee pot. $11 at wally world.

The cheap metal "clip" that holds the lid to the handle is crap. I peeled mine off and replaced it with a loop of dog-tag chain.

I threw the metal coffee filter guts away.

·
who? what? me? No!!!
654 Posts
agreed, the enamel ware stuff works great. I will admit tho, I have a hard time getting the perculators to work properly in them, so for coffe, I use the coffee in a teabag things and just boil the water

I have a couple antique cast iron tea kettles, but I just have them sitting on the fireplace hearth, I have never actually used them

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Rearding boiling water:

Using a tall cylindrical container that you can boil with a loose-fitting cap will immensely cut down on the ammount of heat (read:size of fire) you need to boil water.

I use the USGI canteen cup and some cheap stainless steel bottle from cabellas. There's a tall cylindrical titanium contanier that I'm saving up for. :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts