Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I just joined. I'm a long time believer in the classic Boy Scout motto to "B Prepared" in whatever I do. I work in the video game industry in San Diego, and also really enjoy the outdoors, especially when its Father-son time, like on our camping trip to Cuyamaca, or our more recent trip to Big Bear.

I'm taking the family to Cancun over Christmas on vacation, and expect to do a lot of river/ocean swimming and trekking through the jungle. I was thinking about getting a Maxpedition sling for the trip. I already have a Becker patrol Pack ( my pics of it here ).

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
my son is 13 and i am trying to teach him survial skills. i am a former eagle scout. times have changed, another scout and i used to go dove hunting prior to camping out. now there are alot of riles and regs. oh well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the concern, friend. I have taught him plenty here in the US. On this trip. I plan to teach him outside the US, to better round out his experience and teach him to be able to handle things outside the comfort zone of the US. True preparedness is dealing with the unfamiliar. I'm not going to let paranoia keep me cocooned in the US. In the last 6 months I've been to Shanghai, Seoul and Perth, as well as San Fransisco, Seattle and Austin. The world is far less scary than TV and movies would have us believe.

Yes, I've read up on the warnings, mostly concerning the Northern Mexico area (20 miles from where I live here in San Diego) and along the west coast of Mexico. Cancun is relatively safe, especially the resort are where we'll be. I also plan to buy local clothes, shoes and hats to blend in some.

Plus, the kidnappers are targeting perople like me for ransom, not my wife or son, so I'm less worried. I'd be very concerned if they were to target my 6 year old, but I fell a LOT more comfortable if I'm the target.

Do us all a favor teach your son here in the USA. If you are going to spend money do it here at home. Show him America first.
On top of that you do know about the tourist warnings in Mexico ?
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hammerfel,
Welcome to the board! Great to see you and your son getting out in the woods. Good to know you are teaching him well. My daughter is only 14 months and I am chomping at the bit to get her in the woods. I cannot wait to share time with her and my wife in the woods, great pictures of your trip!!!

Tbull:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you a programmer?

What do you do in the VG industry?
I'm the Director of Skunkworks for my company. My team of 4 is charged with coming up with new ideas for products and services, then pitching them to the Exec team and making rapid prototypes to test out the idea and show how it might work. Love my job. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts