Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strangely I find myself 73 y/o and I have never owned a thermometer for checking my temperature. I am prepping for the pandemic, and it seems like a prudent purchase.

So......what to buy and why.......???

Note: Rectal so not an option.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Strangely I find myself 73 y/o and I have never owned a thermometer for checking my temperature. I am prepping for the pandemic, and it seems like a prudent purchase.

So......what to buy and why.......???

Note: Rectal so not an option.
Short story is, rectal, or in the bladder are the only accurate ones for when it really matters.

In ear, or armpit are almost useless.

Under the tongue is so-so...takes about a minute to get a decent reading.

IR temporal are okay for a quick approximation but are only approximate. This is your best bet for just general "Do I have a fever" uses.

We don't even carry one in the ambulance because unless we are going up the butt, which we don't....nothing else is accurate enough to use for medicine.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Short story is, rectal, or in the bladder are the only accurate ones for when it really matters.

In ear, or armpit are almost useless.

Under the tongue is so-so...takes about a minute to get a decent reading.

IR temporal are okay for a quick approximation but are only approximate. This is your best bet for just general "Do I have a fever" uses.

We don't even carry one in the ambulance because unless we are going up the butt, which we don't....nothing else is accurate enough to use for medicine.
So I guess Under the tongue it is going to be. Thanks that was helpful information.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,514 Posts

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Here's one I'm thinking about buying. About 3,400 ratings, which means people buy this one a lot. Thermometers have come a ways since the old stick/glass ones. This one is as close to state of the art for $23.
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Ther...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QNNY9N5VVB0ARPPSVG81
Takes from 10 to 30 seconds to get a reading. Says you can get very close for 10 seconds, but most accurate at 30 seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts