Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my tuberculosis skin test, wednesday I'll have it checked for the result.

Part of my job requires me to come into contact with people who have tuberculosis. So its better to get the test, then to wait and find out later.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts
A EMS service I work with makes us get those yearly as well. They always make my arm itch..

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Hope nobody ever gets exposed. I had a pt. my first year out of school slip through undetected. I had to take a couple meds for a while. They made me feel pretty crappy, one was Rifampin it turned all my body fluids orange. Even my sweat was orange, I looked pretty strange in the gym. The pt. also had meningitis and I think that may have also been what the Rifampin was prophalctically tx. If you get the test more than 2 x's in a year you can get a false positive, also if you are on prednison or other immuno-suppresant drugs you can get a false negative. good luck Kev.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I worked for a pharmaceutical company that was bought out by an India company... 20-30% of our employees coming over to work on H1 visas had full blow TB.

There should be medical testing for people coming to work in the States. :mad:

·
6,685 Posts
Immigrants from 3rd world countries have the highest incidents of TB in the US. Places like Mexico, other central American countries, India, Southeast Asia anywhere large numbers of people live in close quarters in sub standard sanitary conditions.

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Immigrants from 3rd world countries have the highest incidents of TB in the US. Places like Mexico, other central American countries, India, Southeast Asia anywhere large numbers of people live in close quarters in sub standard sanitary conditions.
I realize your point. I was just shocked that they are allowed into our country with active TB.

Craig

·
6,685 Posts
There is no testing method set in place, plus how do you stop illegals with TB?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is your test site inflamed or growing larger?
Its fine, no redness at all. Which I'm very glad of.

I was doing some directly observed therapy on a couple of people last year (2009) - so I needed to be checked anyway. Even though I wore the N95, I still needed to be checked.

There is no testing method set in place, plus how do you stop illegals with TB?
Put up a big bill board at the border - "If you have a cough, please do not enter the USA."

·
Where the Elite meet
5,560 Posts
I worked for a pharmaceutical company that was bought out by an India company... 20-30% of our employees coming over to work on H1 visas had full blow TB.

There should be medical testing for people coming to work in the States. :mad:
It's odd that there isn't. Every country that I've ever had a residency permit in required a TB test, usually a chest X-ray.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
TB is nothing to mess with. The jail I used t work in has an inmate that had active TB for 6 weeks in general population before the med staff did anything about it. They knew about the problem.

They tested over 5,000 people, inmates, former inmates and all staff. 58 turned up positive. All were maint. staff. They are in the Heat and Air system daily. They all had to fight the county on it.

That reminds me, are all of you up todate on your immunizations?

·
6,685 Posts
It's odd that there isn't. Every country that I've ever had a residency permit in required a TB test, usually a chest X-ray.
There is for a residency permit but apparently it's politically incorrect to enforce it and the powers at be that you love and trust so much simply don't enforce it.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
That reminds me, are all of you up todate on your immunizations?
Here only people in risk groups get the shot. When I was a kid, they gave everyone shots but they stopped doing that. My last shot was at 14, and it was said to give lifelong protection. Some %$^#&# coughed on me on purpose, and she had had TB. Mentioned that to doc and I had to do the skin test. They said, if you are vaccinated, you will get a small reaction, if infected a big reaction. I got no reaction at all so I'm totally unprotected against TB.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I just got my first TB test since I was a kid and the schools made us get them. I recently got a foster care home for the elderly dumped in my lap when my mom died. The test is required. Sure is itchy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.