Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
reluctant sinner
20,474 Posts
Interesting. 9# empty then fill it with 16 rounds. I'm not lugging it upland bird hunting but covering a door/window opening might be just the ticket. In fact it might just be able to make an wall opening. I would be interested in the mechanism for switching between the mags. Hopefully its more milled steel than plastic or aluminum - sad it doesn't say. $1400, heck my sis had to pay $500 for used 870. My pistol gripped 870 is 31" long and hold 9, not sure what it weighs.

·
Happy to be here!
5,777 Posts
I tried my buddy's bullpup shotgun for the first time doing some skeet shooting last weekend. I thought I would love it but ended up detesting the thing. The barrel is short and way under my line of sight which threw my aim off.

The easiest way I can explain what happened is using your body. Hold your arm out and point at a target about 15 yards away. Keep both eyes open and look through your finger at the target. This is how I aim my shotgun. Shooting the bullpup was like trying to aim with your hand on your chin and finger pointed at the target...

I hate red dots on shotguns, but you almost have to with the bullpup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've decided to buy one when I can spare the money. I haven't shot or handled one, though, so not much feedback I can give. I plan to put a good optical sight on it. I may change my mind on purchasing once I handle one, but it looks to have almost everything I want, and it will be easier for my wife to use with the bullpup style grip. Previously I was looking at a Benelli M3.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've watched quite a few YouTube videos on it, and lots of reviews. I don't need another home defense weapon, but it looks handy. It looks rather large, and I'm not sure how it feels. The LGS has 1 in black, FDE, and OD Green. I need to go down there and handle one. $1400.00 us I'd probably go with a red/green dot optic. Don't need an optic for a shotgun, but it would come in handy. I've got a bunch of handloads, components and whatnot to reload so I'm good in that department. With 3 different magazine tubes, you could load 5 buckshot, 5 slugs, and 1 tube of birdshot, and it would pretty much cover a lot of different scenarios. And if you needed to breach a building , 13 rounds of 3" double 00 buck would no doubt do it. Idk. I'm extremely intrigued to say the least.
My other dilemma is which color. I'm kinda done with black. The Fde is a bit bright but hilights the gun. The Od green is cool, but it looks like a toy in that color. It seems the OD is hard to get.
I remember back in the late 60's I got a toy gun (Mattel I think), and it looked very similar. It shot plastic pellets, and it had large plastic projectiles like miniature grenades. It was also modular. It was waaaaay cool. Kinda like the Tavor TS12. Maybe a new toy for a 65 year old kid hahahaha.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not a fan. One of my relatives has one and likes is so far but it's heavy and awkward to me (I'd take a Beretta over the IWI any day of the week). You could send a lot of hate down a hallway with it though.

ETA- OP it doesn't come with sights or an optic so be sure to budget for that along with your sling, flashlight and lots of high velocity shells (For optimum performance of this shotgun, use shells with a minimum velocity of 1200 fps and minimum weight of 1 1/8 oz. ) Tavor TS12 | IWI US, Inc.
My cousin's is the FDE color and it's not bad looking (he put an EOTech on it); I like FDE/coyote/whatever you want to call it as it makes a good base color when you break out of the Krylon and stencil.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I don't have the TS-12, but I've had a similar Keltec KSG (14+1) for several years and I love it. It's definitely not a long-range hunting shotgun, but it excels at close-quarters work. I've taken some training that involved shoot houses, and it's really easy to maneuver in tight spaces. The switchable feed tubes make it easy to swap between two types of rounds like buckshot & slug.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If you got the $$ OP, buy it and try it. That is the best test. You can always sell it for a slight loss for the education. Or with inflation, maybe can sell for more?

·
Registered
326 Posts
They have some neat features, like the shell autoloading when you rotate the mag tubes. For you left handed folks, initially you were supposed to be able to convert them to left handed use like the rifle (bolt and port cover swap) but that didn't make it into the production version. From what I was told (call IWI USA to confirm as I know very little about them), they have to be sent back to the distributor for the conversion and they're not able to do so at this time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, guess how I know about the left handed thing- my cousin is left handed and the gun store told him it was easily converted like the rifle. Doh! He's been working on learning to shoot it right handed.
I read where you can send them in to convert them. Not sure if that's true , but it looks like it's made that way. Hope it works out for him.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah, that's what I posted above. I know he called them and while I can't remember exactly what he said, they weren't able to do it at this time for some reason- parts maybe? The authorized service centers are supposed to be able to work on them (including one in our state) but I can't remember what they told him either (he called them first, IIRC).

I told him to buy a Beretta or Benelli if he wanted to spend a bunch on a semi-auto 12ga but no, he wanted the SciFi gun. :alien: He needed to learn to shoot right handed anyways. LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's one problem with the TS-12, in that if you lose the ability to operate the weapon right handed in a fire fight your pretty much done. Myself I would just shoot from the hip in this situation, but I have been trained in this, and most people probably aren’t. I'd no doubt buy a different weapon. For me it works great.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If you want a serious combat 12 gauge then the Beretta 1301 or Benelli M2/M4 would be much more solid choices and cost about the same as the Tavor. If you just want a toy for blasting at the range or for maybe home defense then look at one of the Turkish semi-auto bullpups that take the MKA 1919 detachable magazines. Even though they are cheap, they are generally reliable with high-velocity ammo and they are easier to clear and operate then the Tavor. Plus you can get 15/20 round drum mags if you really want the high capacity. For normal use I would recommend the 5/10 round magazines though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts